Re: MacVim.app - snapshot r300 - available for download

    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 2, 2007
      > > Apart from that we have a nice addition to the "eye candy" department;
      > > I have integrated George Harker's transparency patch. Try it out by
      > > typing ":set transp=50" (0=opaque, 255=transparent). Be sure to let
      > > George know if you like it (I think it looks pretty neat myself
      > > George).
      >
      > wouldn't 0..1 or 0..100 be a more sensible range?

      Is it possible to have options that take floating point values? If
      not, 0..100 does seem more sensible than 0-255 and I guess nobody will
      be too upset about loosing some precision in specifying the
      transparency. (Or maybe there are some people who think the
      difference between a 'transp' value of 132 and 133 out of 255 is
      simply staggering... ;-) )

      > > Other changes:
      > > - colorscheme updated (e.g. popup menu, status lines have changed,
      > > visual group changes on focus lost/gained)
      >
      > Better. Some more complaints: white foreground on pink background for
      > TODO markers in C code is a) ugly (what's wrong with the standard
      > yellow background? You can use the "washed out yellow" they use at
      > 37signals.com if you want, but it's supposed to look like text you
      > mark with a yellow highlighter, isn't it?) and b) invisible when the
      > cursor is in the line containing the TODO when 'cursorline' is set.

      Thanks, I will forward that (although I don't personally see why it
      has got to be yellow, there are other colored marker pens, right? ;-)
      ).

      > > If you haven't already, be sure to try the MacVim colorscheme...I have
      > > it set as default myself and am getting quite attached to it. (It
      > > also has some nifty features such as changing the highlight color when
      > > focus changes.) Also, let me know if there is something you
      > > like/dislike about it and I will forward your comments to its author
      > > (which is not me, by the way ;-) ).
      >
      > I still don't like the status bar colors, especially of the active
      > window (white on black). And I'm not too happy with pink numbers, but
      > I guess I can live with that.

      I kind of wanted a status bar with color (not shades of gray)...I
      don't know if that sounds completely crazy...

      > For the people using `set cursorline`: If you put
      >
      > " show cursorline in active window only
      > set cursorline
      > au WinEnter * set cursorline
      > au WinLeave * set nocursorline
      > au FocusGained * set cursorline
      > au FocusLost * set nocursorline
      >
      > into your _vimrc, the cursorline is only displayed in the window that
      > currently has the focus. Is it possible to do something like that for
      > the statusbar color by default (ie, change the color of the active
      > statusline to the passive statusline color on focuslost and change it
      > back on focusgained)?

      I guess that wouldn't be too hard to do...I'll try it out.

      /Björn

      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 2, 2007
        > > Thanks for that information. If you have the time and inclination,
        > > please consider making a patch for the current docs. You seem to have
        > > a better grasp on the situation than I do. Would you do it if I asked
        > > nicely? Pretty please? ;-)
        >
        > How about this? I'm not sure if this is too much or too little
        > information, but I think it covers all the bases:

        Thank you Tim! It looks good to me...I've integrated it with the help.

        > I'd suggest hacking enc_locale() to just say something like "if this
        > is OS X, the encoding should be UTF-8".

        Thanks for digging into those functions. I followed your suggestion
        and simply returned "utf-8" in enc_locale(). On my machine that
        always returned en_us or something similar, which just caused Vim to
        fall back on the default (latin1).

        > I've added my Dvorak-QWERTY issue to the list, then.

        That's good. I am still having problems with this one...the input
        handling is a big mess at the moment, due to how Cocoa deals with
        keyboard input (and partly due to me learning about it as I was
        writing MacVim). I am thinking about it though.

        /Björn

      • Bram Moolenaar
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 2, 2007
          Tim Allen wrote:

          > I had a look at set_init_1() in options.c, and OMG it's a giant
          > hairball. It looks like the actual auto-detection work is being done
          > by a function called "enc_locale()" in mbyte.c. On Windows, it calls
          > GetACP() which returns the system's default 8-bit encoding (kind of
          > silly if you're on NT which is natively UTF-16), while on POSIX-y
          > platform it checks the LANG and LC_ALL environment variables which are
          > used to configure POSIX locales.
          >
          > I searched for information about what encoding OS X uses natively, but
          > the Apple documentation I found rather uselessly states "Unicode is
          > generally considered the native encoding for Mac OS X and should be
          > used in nearly all situations." (somebody needs to tell them that
          > "Unicode" is not an actual encoding). There is an NSLocale object that
          > has some locale information in it, but "default character set" does
          > not appear to be there.
          >
          > I'd suggest hacking enc_locale() to just say something like "if this
          > is OS X, the encoding should be UTF-8".

          I would say: If none of the environment variables is defined, then
          default to utf-8. Someone using a shell might want to set those
          variables to tell his programs what he prefers.

          --
          "Lisp has all the visual appeal of oatmeal with nail clippings thrown in."
          -- Larry Wall

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 8, 2007
            > > I'd suggest hacking enc_locale() to just say something like "if this
            > > is OS X, the encoding should be UTF-8".
            >
            > I would say: If none of the environment variables is defined, then
            > default to utf-8. Someone using a shell might want to set those
            > variables to tell his programs what he prefers.

            Ok, I've changed the procedure in set_init_1() as follows:

            1) call enc_locale(). no changes to the enc_locale() code is
            done...so this (as far as I understand) checks the "encoding related"
            environment variables.

            2) call mbyte_init() using the encoding returned in 1

            3) if 2 fails then set p_enc to "utf-8" and call mbyte_init() again

            4) if 3 fails then use "latin1" (although 3 should never fail)

            This should permit the user to override the environment variables,
            whilst defaulting to utf-8. Any comments?

            /Björn

          • Bram Moolenaar
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 9, 2007
              Bjorn Winckler wrote:

              > > > I'd suggest hacking enc_locale() to just say something like "if this
              > > > is OS X, the encoding should be UTF-8".
              > >
              > > I would say: If none of the environment variables is defined, then
              > > default to utf-8. Someone using a shell might want to set those
              > > variables to tell his programs what he prefers.
              >
              > Ok, I've changed the procedure in set_init_1() as follows:
              >
              > 1) call enc_locale(). no changes to the enc_locale() code is
              > done...so this (as far as I understand) checks the "encoding related"
              > environment variables.
              >
              > 2) call mbyte_init() using the encoding returned in 1
              >
              > 3) if 2 fails then set p_enc to "utf-8" and call mbyte_init() again
              >
              > 4) if 3 fails then use "latin1" (although 3 should never fail)
              >
              > This should permit the user to override the environment variables,
              > whilst defaulting to utf-8. Any comments?

              Ehm, wouldn't it work to change the value of ENC_DFLT in option.h to
              "utf-8"? With an #ifdef, of course.

              --
              The average life of an organization chart is six months. You can safely
              ignore any order from your boss that would take six months to complete.

              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 9, 2007

                > > > I would say: If none of the environment variables is defined, then
                > > > default to utf-8. Someone using a shell might want to set those
                > > > variables to tell his programs what he prefers.
                > >
                > > Ok, I've changed the procedure in set_init_1() as follows:
                > >
                > > 1) call enc_locale(). no changes to the enc_locale() code is
                > > done...so this (as far as I understand) checks the "encoding related"
                > > environment variables.
                > >
                > > 2) call mbyte_init() using the encoding returned in 1
                > >
                > > 3) if 2 fails then set p_enc to "utf-8" and call mbyte_init() again
                > >
                > > 4) if 3 fails then use "latin1" (although 3 should never fail)
                > >
                > > This should permit the user to override the environment variables,
                > > whilst defaulting to utf-8. Any comments?
                >
                > Ehm, wouldn't it work to change the value of ENC_DFLT in option.h to
                > "utf-8"? With an #ifdef, of course.

                That was the first thing I tried...but then the multibyte stuff does
                not seem to get initialized, e.g. typing :digraphs shows nothing. Is
                this because mbyte_init() never gets called perhaps?

                /Björn