MacVIM: Right click spelling fix doesn't allow :spellr

  • Brian McKee
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2007
      Hi All
      Just throwing out little things I notice as I work with MacVim. Feel
      free to tell me to quiet down or report differently!
      If I correct a spelling error with 'z=' then I can use :spellr to fix
      the same mistake throughout the document.
      If I use the right-click option (way cool with the cascading list of
      options!) to fix the spelling, then :spellr reports 'E752: No previous
      spell replacement'
      FYI
      Brian

    • Nico Weber
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 3, 2007

        > Just throwing out little things I notice as I work with
        > MacVim. Feel
        > free to tell me to quiet down or report differently!
        > If I correct a spelling error with 'z=' then I can use :spellr to fix
        > the same mistake throughout the document.
        > If I use the right-click option (way cool with the cascading list of
        > options!) to fix the spelling, then :spellr reports 'E752: No previous
        > spell replacement'

        I did some testing, it's like this on windows as well. And on gtk,
        the click on the corrected word in the context menu was ignored
        completely. So this is a general vim bug, not a MacVim bug.

        Another thing I noticed: If I write "neccessary" and `:set spell`, z=
        suggests "Necessary" but the popup menu suggests "necessary". Is this
        intentional?

        Nico

      • Bram Moolenaar
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 3, 2007
          Nico Weber wrote:

          > > Just throwing out little things I notice as I work with
          > > MacVim. Feel
          > > free to tell me to quiet down or report differently!
          > > If I correct a spelling error with 'z=' then I can use :spellr to fix
          > > the same mistake throughout the document.
          > > If I use the right-click option (way cool with the cascading list of
          > > options!) to fix the spelling, then :spellr reports 'E752: No previous
          > > spell replacement'
          >
          > I did some testing, it's like this on windows as well. And on gtk,
          > the click on the corrected word in the context menu was ignored
          > completely. So this is a general vim bug, not a MacVim bug.

          Right. It's because the popup menu replaces the word directly, not
          using "z=". This won't be easy to fix.

          > Another thing I noticed: If I write "neccessary" and `:set spell`, z=
          > suggests "Necessary" but the popup menu suggests "necessary". Is this
          > intentional?

          This is because "z=" uses the context of the word, while the popup menu
          use the a spell function that doesn't see the context. Again, this will
          take some effort to fix.

          --
          Any resemblance between the above views and those of my employer, my terminal,
          or the view out my window are purely coincidental. Any resemblance between

        • Brian McKee
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 3, 2007
            > > > Just throwing out little things I notice as I work with
            > > > MacVim.
            > > > If I use the right-click option to fix the spelling, then :spellr reports 'E752: No previous
            > > > spell replacement'
            > > I did some testing, it's like this on windows as well. And on gtk,
            > > the click on the corrected word in the context menu was ignored
            > > completely. So this is a general vim bug, not a MacVim bug.
            > Right. It's because the popup menu replaces the word directly, not
            > using "z=". This won't be easy to fix.

            Ah - I guess I've not tried that particular combination before in linux.
            Do I get a gold star for finding obscure bugs then? :-)
            Not a big thing.
            Thanks
            Brian