Re: Setting font used under vim-carbon

  • Daniel Lee
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 7, 2002
      --- Eugene Lee <eugene@...> wrote:
      > On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 10:48:15AM +0100, Bram
      > Moolenaar wrote:
      > :
      > : Sven Guckes wrote:
      > : >
      > : > So - there we have at least one more user
      > : > who thinks that commands for changing the
      > : > font size would be useful.
      > : > Bram - what do you think?
      > :
      > : Sure, would be very useful. But how to implement
      > it? Especially on X11
      > : font names are hard to work with. We don't even
      > have a font selector
      > : because of this reason.
      >
      > X11 fonts are a pain. Maybe borrow code from
      > xfontsel? Would it be
      > easier for Vim to require a font server? On OS X,
      > the new Font Panel is
      > really nice. Or is this a bad idea for different
      > platforms to present
      > different interfaces?
      >

      > --
      > Eugene Lee
      > eugene@...
      Hi,

      The Win32 gvim that I run uses a Win32 style font
      selection panel so it's already been done. I think as
      long as the interface meshes well with the platform,
      different interfaces for such platform dependant
      functionality is a good thing.

      Daniel Lee (no relation to Eugene that I know of :-)

      http://greetings.yahoo.com
    • Sven Guckes
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 9, 2002
        * Daniel Lee <danslee@...> [020208 15:38]:
        > The Win32 gvim that I run uses a Win32 style font
        > selection panel so it's already been done. I think as
        > long as the interface meshes well with the platform,
        > different interfaces for such platform
        > dependant functionality is a good thing.

        although I am all for features that work on all platforms -
        i would see it as a big advantage if vim used at least
        what is available with "font dialogs" on the systems.

        I know Mac users simply expect this kind of thing
        and I think we should just give it to them.

        As for X - way to go! But this should not be something
        that Vim should give an answer to, right?

        Sven [who in 1992 bought a Mac and gave up on Windows]