Re: utf problems with regular vim (not macvim) on os x

  • lanzz
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2007
      On Sep 29, 5:55 am, Ben Schmidt <mail_ben_schm...@...> wrote:

      > I presume you are using vim in the Terminal.app, not any GUI version of Vim at all.

      yes, that's what i meant by "regular vim" in the subject :)

      > - The character set encoding setting of your terminal window (File->Get
      > Info->Display).

      UTF-8

      > - Vim's 'enc' option (:set enc?)

      utf-8

      > - What's compiled into Vim: :version

      +arabic +autocmd -balloon_eval -browse ++builtin_terms +byte_offset
      +cindent -clientserver -clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist
      +cmdline_info +comments
      +cryptv -cscope +cursorshape +dialog_con +diff +digraphs -dnd -ebcdic
      +emacs_tags +eval +ex_extra +extra_search +farsi +file_in_path
      +find_in_path +folding
      -footer +fork() +gettext -hangul_input +iconv +insert_expand +jumplist
      +keymap +langmap +libcall +linebreak +lispindent +listcmds +localmap
      +menu +mksession
      +modify_fname +mouse -mouseshape +mouse_dec -mouse_gpm -mouse_jsbterm
      +mouse_netterm +mouse_xterm +multi_byte +multi_lang -mzscheme -
      netbeans_intg -osfiletype +path_extra -perl +postscript +printer
      +profile -python +quickfix +reltime +rightleft -ruby +scrollbind
      +signs +smartindent -sniff +statusline -sun_workshop +syntax
      +tag_binary +tag_old_static -tag_any_white -tcl +terminfo
      +termresponse +textobjects +title -toolbar +user_commands +vertsplit
      +virtualedit +visual +visualextra +viminfo +vreplace +wildignore
      +wildmenu +windows +writebackup -X11 -xfontset -xim -xsmp -
      xterm_clipboard -xterm_save

      > Also, as this question isn't all that Mac-specific, the folks on the vim_use
      > mailing list may be quite helpful, so it may be worth posting your question there
      > if it's still unresolved after a while here.

      i have also posted this question to vim_multibyte.

    • zoul
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 19, 2007
        > i have problems getting vim to work with unicode in OS X.

        I've got the same problem and I hope that it is going to disappear in
        Leopard:

        "Get more out of Terminal. The Core Text API for text layout reduces
        setup time and makes Terminal behave flawlessly for international
        users, with an increased character set." (http://www.apple.com/macosx/
        features/300.html#terminal)

        T.

      • lanzz
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 15, 2007
          i've got a solution for this problem on the vim_multibyte list - in
          terminal inspector, in the emulation section, the option "escape non-
          ascii characters" needs to be turned off (it is on by default).