Re: Setting font used under vim-carbon

  • Eugene Lee
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 7, 2002
      On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 10:48:15AM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      :
      : Sven Guckes wrote:
      : >
      : > So - there we have at least one more user
      : > who thinks that commands for changing the
      : > font size would be useful.
      : > Bram - what do you think?
      :
      : Sure, would be very useful. But how to implement it? Especially on X11
      : font names are hard to work with. We don't even have a font selector
      : because of this reason.

      X11 fonts are a pain. Maybe borrow code from xfontsel? Would it be
      easier for Vim to require a font server? On OS X, the new Font Panel is
      really nice. Or is this a bad idea for different platforms to present
      different interfaces?

      --
      Eugene Lee
      eugene@...
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 7, 2002
        --- Eugene Lee <eugene@...> wrote:
        > On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 10:48:15AM +0100, Bram
        > Moolenaar wrote:
        > :
        > : Sven Guckes wrote:
        > : >
        > : > So - there we have at least one more user
        > : > who thinks that commands for changing the
        > : > font size would be useful.
        > : > Bram - what do you think?
        > :
        > : Sure, would be very useful. But how to implement
        > it? Especially on X11
        > : font names are hard to work with. We don't even
        > have a font selector
        > : because of this reason.
        >
        > X11 fonts are a pain. Maybe borrow code from
        > xfontsel? Would it be
        > easier for Vim to require a font server? On OS X,
        > the new Font Panel is
        > really nice. Or is this a bad idea for different
        > platforms to present
        > different interfaces?
        >

        > --
        > Eugene Lee
        > eugene@...
        Hi,

        The Win32 gvim that I run uses a Win32 style font
        selection panel so it's already been done. I think as
        long as the interface meshes well with the platform,
        different interfaces for such platform dependant
        functionality is a good thing.

        Daniel Lee (no relation to Eugene that I know of :-)

        http://greetings.yahoo.com
      • Sven Guckes
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 9, 2002
          * Daniel Lee <danslee@...> [020208 15:38]:
          > The Win32 gvim that I run uses a Win32 style font
          > selection panel so it's already been done. I think as
          > long as the interface meshes well with the platform,
          > different interfaces for such platform
          > dependant functionality is a good thing.

          although I am all for features that work on all platforms -
          i would see it as a big advantage if vim used at least
          what is available with "font dialogs" on the systems.

          I know Mac users simply expect this kind of thing
          and I think we should just give it to them.

          As for X - way to go! But this should not be something
          that Vim should give an answer to, right?

          Sven [who in 1992 bought a Mac and gave up on Windows]