Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: Setting font used under vim-carbon

Expand Messages
  • Sven Guckes
    ... So - there we have at least one more user who thinks that commands for changing the font size would be useful. Bram - what do you think? Sven
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 6, 2002
    • 0 Attachment
      * Sven Guckes:
      > now, if there were commands to decrease/increase
      > the size of the current font within Vim then...
      > this calls for a function, right? anyone?

      * gmark@... <gmark@...> [020206 18:00]:
      > Wow -- THAT sounds extremely useful!
      > Also, it would be an excellent adjunct to this to automatically
      > resize the window size (in number of lines) to accomodate this.
      > Of course, that could easily be added in the .exrc file as
      > a macro, but the combination would be very sweet, indeed.

      So - there we have at least one more user
      who thinks that commands for changing the
      font size would be useful.
      Bram - what do you think?

      Sven
    • Bram Moolenaar
      ... Sure, would be very useful. But how to implement it? Especially on X11 font names are hard to work with. We don t even have a font selector because of
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 7, 2002
      • 0 Attachment
        Sven Guckes wrote:

        > * Sven Guckes:
        > > now, if there were commands to decrease/increase
        > > the size of the current font within Vim then...
        > > this calls for a function, right? anyone?
        >
        > * gmark@... <gmark@...> [020206 18:00]:
        > > Wow -- THAT sounds extremely useful!
        > > Also, it would be an excellent adjunct to this to automatically
        > > resize the window size (in number of lines) to accomodate this.
        > > Of course, that could easily be added in the .exrc file as
        > > a macro, but the combination would be very sweet, indeed.
        >
        > So - there we have at least one more user
        > who thinks that commands for changing the
        > font size would be useful.
        > Bram - what do you think?

        Sure, would be very useful. But how to implement it? Especially on X11
        font names are hard to work with. We don't even have a font selector
        because of this reason.

        --
        Did you hear about the new 3 million dollar West Virginia State Lottery?
        The winner gets 3 dollars a year for a million years.

        /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@... -- http://www.moolenaar.net \\\
        ((( Creator of Vim -- http://vim.sf.net -- ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim )))
        \\\ Help me helping AIDS orphans in Uganda - http://iccf-holland.org ///
      • Eugene Lee
        ... X11 fonts are a pain. Maybe borrow code from xfontsel? Would it be easier for Vim to require a font server? On OS X, the new Font Panel is really nice.
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 7, 2002
        • 0 Attachment
          On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 10:48:15AM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          :
          : Sven Guckes wrote:
          : >
          : > So - there we have at least one more user
          : > who thinks that commands for changing the
          : > font size would be useful.
          : > Bram - what do you think?
          :
          : Sure, would be very useful. But how to implement it? Especially on X11
          : font names are hard to work with. We don't even have a font selector
          : because of this reason.

          X11 fonts are a pain. Maybe borrow code from xfontsel? Would it be
          easier for Vim to require a font server? On OS X, the new Font Panel is
          really nice. Or is this a bad idea for different platforms to present
          different interfaces?


          --
          Eugene Lee
          eugene@...
        • Daniel Lee
          ... Hi, The Win32 gvim that I run uses a Win32 style font selection panel so it s already been done. I think as long as the interface meshes well with the
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 7, 2002
          • 0 Attachment
            --- Eugene Lee <eugene@...> wrote:
            > On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 10:48:15AM +0100, Bram
            > Moolenaar wrote:
            > :
            > : Sven Guckes wrote:
            > : >
            > : > So - there we have at least one more user
            > : > who thinks that commands for changing the
            > : > font size would be useful.
            > : > Bram - what do you think?
            > :
            > : Sure, would be very useful. But how to implement
            > it? Especially on X11
            > : font names are hard to work with. We don't even
            > have a font selector
            > : because of this reason.
            >
            > X11 fonts are a pain. Maybe borrow code from
            > xfontsel? Would it be
            > easier for Vim to require a font server? On OS X,
            > the new Font Panel is
            > really nice. Or is this a bad idea for different
            > platforms to present
            > different interfaces?
            >
            >
            > --
            > Eugene Lee
            > eugene@...
            Hi,

            The Win32 gvim that I run uses a Win32 style font
            selection panel so it's already been done. I think as
            long as the interface meshes well with the platform,
            different interfaces for such platform dependant
            functionality is a good thing.

            Daniel Lee (no relation to Eugene that I know of :-)

            __________________________________________________
            Do You Yahoo!?
            Send FREE Valentine eCards with Yahoo! Greetings!
            http://greetings.yahoo.com
          • Sven Guckes
            ... although I am all for features that work on all platforms - i would see it as a big advantage if vim used at least what is available with font dialogs on
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 9, 2002
            • 0 Attachment
              * Daniel Lee <danslee@...> [020208 15:38]:
              > The Win32 gvim that I run uses a Win32 style font
              > selection panel so it's already been done. I think as
              > long as the interface meshes well with the platform,
              > different interfaces for such platform
              > dependant functionality is a good thing.

              although I am all for features that work on all platforms -
              i would see it as a big advantage if vim used at least
              what is available with "font dialogs" on the systems.

              I know Mac users simply expect this kind of thing
              and I think we should just give it to them.

              As for X - way to go! But this should not be something
              that Vim should give an answer to, right?

              Sven [who in 1992 bought a Mac and gave up on Windows]
            Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.