vim 6.0.158 (Carbon) for OS X

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2002
      I just uploaded vim 6.0 (Carbon for OS X) with patches 1 to 158 to
      my iDisk. You can drag and drop icons onto the vim icon. (Since I
      edited the source, I no longer have to remember this step each time I
      compile a new version, so this should be true of all future versions
      that I post.)

      This time, I am releasing it as a tar.gz file instead of a dmg.gz.
      This seems to be at least as convenient; let me know if you have any
      trouble. The problem with downloading the previous version seems to
      have gone away, so you can get it by http from
      http://homepage.mac.com/fisherbb/index.html
      This gives you a 4MB binhex file, so it should be faster to connect to
      my iDisk and use WebDAV. (Can someone remind me of the easy way to do
      this? From Finder, I can use the "Connect to Server" item from the Go
      menu, but I do not remember the correct address to give it.)

      As a reminder, here are the unresolved issues that bug me the most:

      1. The % key cannot be mapped. For example,

      :map % :echo "foo"<CR>

      does not work. I have not checked what other keys are problematic.

      2. Dialogue boxes look as if they work, but do not. For example,

      :browse saveas

      brings up a dialogue box, I can enter a file name, but nothing gets
      saved. Personally, this bothers me less than the first problem, but I
      think this is a more serious issue in terms of widely distributing the
      binary.

      3. Keyboard shortcuts in menu items get lost. Thanks to the patch from
      "Raindog," the following works:

      :nmenu 20.360 &Edit.&Paste<Tab><D-v> <D-v>

      That is, not only does Command-v get executed by this menu item, but a
      pretty Command-v symbol appears in the menu, right justified. However,
      if I put regular text, like "\t", after the "<Tab>" then it gets lost.
      Can we at least translate "<Tab>\t" into " \t"? That is, I will be
      satisfied with a little white space, I do not insist that it be right
      justified.

      I am willing to continue compiling and distributing, but I have no
      experience with Mac (or any GUI) programming. Obviously, Dany St-Amant
      is too busy at the moment. Can anyone else volunteer?

      --Benji Fisher
    • Eugene Lee
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 31, 2002
        :

        http://idisk.mac.com/fisherbb/Public/

        : I am willing to continue compiling and distributing, but I have no
        : experience with Mac (or any GUI) programming. Obviously, Dany St-Amant
        : is too busy at the moment. Can anyone else volunteer?

        I can give it a whirl. But can I build it with just Project Builder?
        Or do I need CodeWarrior?

        --
        Eugene Lee
        eugene@...
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 31, 2002
          On Thursday, January 31, 2002, at 06:54 PM, Eugene Lee wrote:

          > On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 11:58:51AM -0500, Benji Fisher wrote:
          > :
          > : This time, I am releasing it as a tar.gz file instead of a dmg.gz.
          > : This seems to be at least as convenient; let me know if you have any
          > : trouble. The problem with downloading the previous version seems to
          > : have gone away, so you can get it by http from
          > : http://homepage.mac.com/fisherbb/index.html
          > : This gives you a 4MB binhex file, so it should be faster to connect to
          > : my iDisk and use WebDAV. (Can someone remind me of the easy way to do
          > : this? From Finder, I can use the "Connect to Server" item from the Go
          > : menu, but I do not remember the correct address to give it.)
          >
          > http://idisk.mac.com/fisherbb/Public/

          Thanks. The part I forgot was starting with "http://". Since there
          are probably a bunch of keyboard fans on any vim list, I'll mention that
          Command-k brings up the "Connect to Server" dialog in Finder.

          > : I am willing to continue compiling and distributing, but I have no
          > : experience with Mac (or any GUI) programming. Obviously, Dany St-Amant
          > : is too busy at the moment. Can anyone else volunteer?
          >
          > I can give it a whirl. But can I build it with just Project Builder?
          > Or do I need CodeWarrior?

          Project Builder works for me. There are instructions in
          vim60/src/INSTALLmac.txt . If there is anything else I can do to help,
          let me know. Thanks!

          --Benji Fisher