Re: vim6.0.131.dmg corrupt

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 22, 2002
      On Tuesday, January 22, 2002, at 12:10 PM, Logan Johnson wrote:

      > Hullo,
      >
      > It seems the disk image you posted for the carbonized Vim 6.0.131 at
      > your
      > homepage.mac.com address is corrupted. Many of the files have bad
      > addresses,
      > and trying to enter the vim folder via Finder causes Finder to crash
      > (which
      > was pretty cool).
      >
      > Just a heads-up. And thanks for the port... it's been really great.
      >

      > --Logan

      Mac Vim users:

      I have received a few reports like the one quoted above. The
      problem is somewhere between the Public folder on my iDisk and the copy
      that gets downloaded by http. If you can connect to my iDisk by WebDAV
      then you can get the correct version, about 3MB. (Does anyone remember
      the easy way to do this. If you know the right address, you can use
      Cmd-K in the Finder, and then just enter the address.) There is also a
      copy at
      http://geek.ca/files/carbonvim/
      although I have not tested this.

      As soon as I can find the time, I will post a new version.
      (Besides the latest official patches, I forgot to edit the property list
      to enable drag-and-drop onto the Vim icon.) If the server problem does
      not go away then, I will have to find another place to post my binaries.

      --Benji Fisher
    • Corinna Cohn
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 22, 2002
        Benji,

        I had a similar problem when I was trying to download with my Mac. I
        eventually had to download the file with my PC and copy the dmg file
        over. What's odd is that the Mac and the PC downloaded different file
        names. I assumed that the server was detecting my browser version and
        was serving me different items based on that.

        Corinna

        On Tuesday, January 22, 2002, at 03:06 PM, Benji Fisher wrote:

        > Mac Vim users:
        >
        > I have received a few reports like the one quoted above. The
        > problem is somewhere between the Public folder on my iDisk and the copy
        > that gets downloaded by http. If you can connect to my iDisk by WebDAV
        > then you can get the correct version, about 3MB. (Does anyone remember
        > the easy way to do this. If you know the right address, you can use
        > Cmd-K in the Finder, and then just enter the address.) There is also a
        > copy at
        > http://geek.ca/files/carbonvim/
        > although I have not tested this.
        >
        > As soon as I can find the time, I will post a new version.
        > (Besides the latest official patches, I forgot to edit the property
        > list to enable drag-and-drop onto the Vim icon.) If the server problem
        > does not go away then, I will have to find another place to post my
        > binaries.
        >
        > --Benji Fisher

      • Lachlan O'Dea
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 22, 2002
          On 23/01/2002 09:37, "Corinna Cohn" <lazuli42@...> wrote:

          > Benji,
          >
          > I had a similar problem when I was trying to download with my Mac. I
          > eventually had to download the file with my PC and copy the dmg file
          > over. What's odd is that the Mac and the PC downloaded different file
          > names. I assumed that the server was detecting my browser version and
          > was serving me different items based on that.

          You are correct. If you go to the page with a Mac browser, the download URL
          is:

          http://homepage.mac.com/fisherbb/.cv/fisherbb/Public/vim6.0.131.dmg.gz-binhe
          x.hqx

          If you go there on a PC, the URL is:

          http://homepage.mac.com/fisherbb/.cv/fisherbb/Public/vim6.0.131.dmg.gz-link.
          gz

          My guess is that Benji copied the file vim6.0.131.dmg.gz to his iTools
          folder. If you try to retrieve the file via a Mac browser, the iTools web
          server tries to binhex it on the fly, but screws it up. I only get about
          400k from the binhex URL, even if I use wget from a FreeBSD box.

          Anyway, use the PC version of the URL above and you should get all 3Mb
          unsullied. I used wget on OS X, but it should work through your Mac browser
          as well. You may have to manually fix the file's extension after the
          download.

          It works! Many thanks to Benji!

          --
          Lachlan O'Dea <lodea@...> Computer Associates Pty Ltd
          Webmaster Vet - Anti-Virus Software
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 22, 2002
            On Tuesday, January 22, 2002, at 12:06 PM, Benji Fisher wrote:

            > As soon as I can find the time, I will post a new version.
            > (Besides the latest official patches, I forgot to edit the
            > property list to enable drag-and-drop onto the Vim icon.)

            You can make those property list changes permanent by editing the
            application options for os_mac.pbproj in Project Builder. From the
            Project menu, choose Edit Active Target, then select the Application
            Settings tab and then click the Expert button. It might help to have
            Info.plist open in PropertyListEditor window so that you can check
            your work as you go (it doesn't seem to be possible to just cut and
            paste from one to the other).

            RD