Re: Command-key menu equivalents

  • raindog@mediaone.net
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 14, 2002
      On Saturday, January 12, 2002, at 12:19 PM, Benji Fisher wrote:

      > raindog@... wrote:
      >>
      >> Out of curiosity, does ":menu TeX.run\ tex<Tab><D-t> :call TeX()<CR>"
      >> work for you (i.e., does it allow you to type Cmd-t to run TeX)?
      >> Since I applied Dany St-Amant's patch (correctly this time, I think),
      >> command-key equivalents such as this don't work for me, unless at
      >> least
      >> one other modifier key is involved. This one has me stumped.
      >
      > I think I see the problem now. Adding "<Tab><D-t>" to the
      > :menu command does not do anything besides add (right justified)
      > text to the menu item. You need a :map command as well.

      It's supposed to do more, actually: gui_mac_doKeyEvent() dispatches each
      keystroke to the Menu Manager, which responds with the ID of a menu
      if the
      key is a registered equivalent for one of that menu's items. In
      that case,
      the command associated with the item is executed.

      This works in some cases:

      :menu File.Test<Tab><D-S-t> :echo "Test"<CR>

      causes Cmd-Shift-t to print "Test", but

      :menu File.Test<Tab><D-t> :echo "Test"<CR>

      doesn't have the same effect for Cmd-t.

      RD
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 15, 2002
        raindog@... wrote:

        > On Saturday, January 12, 2002, at 12:19 PM, Benji Fisher wrote:
        > >
        > > raindog@... wrote:
        > >>
        > >> Out of curiosity, does ":menu TeX.run\ tex<Tab><D-t> :call TeX()<CR>"
        > >> work for you (i.e., does it allow you to type Cmd-t to run TeX)?
        > >> Since I applied Dany St-Amant's patch (correctly this time, I think),
        > >> command-key equivalents such as this don't work for me, unless at
        > >> least
        > >> one other modifier key is involved. This one has me stumped.
        > >
        > > I think I see the problem now. Adding "<Tab><D-t>" to the
        > > :menu command does not do anything besides add (right justified)
        > > text to the menu item. You need a :map command as well.
        >
        > It's supposed to do more, actually: gui_mac_doKeyEvent() dispatches each
        > keystroke to the Menu Manager, which responds with the ID of a menu
        > if the
        > key is a registered equivalent for one of that menu's items. In
        > that case,
        > the command associated with the item is executed.
        >
        > This works in some cases:
        >
        > :menu File.Test<Tab><D-S-t> :echo "Test"<CR>
        >
        > causes Cmd-Shift-t to print "Test", but
        >
        > :menu File.Test<Tab><D-t> :echo "Test"<CR>
        >
        > doesn't have the same effect for Cmd-t.

        I would rather not have the menu code define key mappings. Vim scripts
        written for use on OS X should work the same on other OS's, and vice versa.
        Of course, there is the difference that <D-> is not available on other
        systems, but this difference is visible to the person writing the menu in the
        vim script.

        --Benji Fisher