Re: Command-key menu equivalents

    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 14, 2002
      On Saturday, January 12, 2002, at 12:19 PM, Benji Fisher wrote:

      > raindog@... wrote:
      >>
      >> On Friday, January 11, 2002, at 11:20 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:
      >>> [snip]
      >> Out of curiosity, does ":menu TeX.run\ tex<Tab><D-t> :call TeX()<CR>"
      >> work for you (i.e., does it allow you to type Cmd-t to run TeX)?
      >> Since I applied Dany St-Amant's patch (correctly this time, I think),
      >> command-key equivalents such as this don't work for me, unless at least
      >> one other modifier key is involved. This one has me stumped.

      I think I see the problem now. Adding "<Tab><D-t>" to the :menu
      command does not do anything besides add (right justified) text to the
      menu item. You need a :map command as well. From my gvimrc file:

      aunmenu &File.&New
      amenu 10.325 &File.&New<Tab><D-n> <D-n>
      nmap <D-n> :confirm enew<CR>

      and there are also :[vico]map lines. I just tested it: Cmd-n seems to
      work. (I think I tested all of the menu commands when I wrote the
      gvimrc file a couple of months ago.)

      I think the binary on my i-disk did not include the patch for
      showing menu equivalents. I have just posted a version that includes
      this patch, along with the official ones through 131.

      --Benji Fisher
    • raindog@mediaone.net
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 14, 2002
        On Saturday, January 12, 2002, at 12:19 PM, Benji Fisher wrote:

        > raindog@... wrote:
        >>
        >> Out of curiosity, does ":menu TeX.run\ tex<Tab><D-t> :call TeX()<CR>"
        >> work for you (i.e., does it allow you to type Cmd-t to run TeX)?
        >> Since I applied Dany St-Amant's patch (correctly this time, I think),
        >> command-key equivalents such as this don't work for me, unless at
        >> least
        >> one other modifier key is involved. This one has me stumped.
        >
        > I think I see the problem now. Adding "<Tab><D-t>" to the
        > :menu command does not do anything besides add (right justified)
        > text to the menu item. You need a :map command as well.

        It's supposed to do more, actually: gui_mac_doKeyEvent() dispatches each
        keystroke to the Menu Manager, which responds with the ID of a menu
        if the
        key is a registered equivalent for one of that menu's items. In
        that case,
        the command associated with the item is executed.

        This works in some cases:

        :menu File.Test<Tab><D-S-t> :echo "Test"<CR>

        causes Cmd-Shift-t to print "Test", but

        :menu File.Test<Tab><D-t> :echo "Test"<CR>

        doesn't have the same effect for Cmd-t.

        RD
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 15, 2002
          raindog@... wrote:

          > On Saturday, January 12, 2002, at 12:19 PM, Benji Fisher wrote:
          > >
          > > raindog@... wrote:
          > >>
          > >> Out of curiosity, does ":menu TeX.run\ tex<Tab><D-t> :call TeX()<CR>"
          > >> work for you (i.e., does it allow you to type Cmd-t to run TeX)?
          > >> Since I applied Dany St-Amant's patch (correctly this time, I think),
          > >> command-key equivalents such as this don't work for me, unless at
          > >> least
          > >> one other modifier key is involved. This one has me stumped.
          > >
          > > I think I see the problem now. Adding "<Tab><D-t>" to the
          > > :menu command does not do anything besides add (right justified)
          > > text to the menu item. You need a :map command as well.
          >
          > It's supposed to do more, actually: gui_mac_doKeyEvent() dispatches each
          > keystroke to the Menu Manager, which responds with the ID of a menu
          > if the
          > key is a registered equivalent for one of that menu's items. In
          > that case,
          > the command associated with the item is executed.
          >
          > This works in some cases:
          >
          > :menu File.Test<Tab><D-S-t> :echo "Test"<CR>
          >
          > causes Cmd-Shift-t to print "Test", but
          >
          > :menu File.Test<Tab><D-t> :echo "Test"<CR>
          >
          > doesn't have the same effect for Cmd-t.

          I would rather not have the menu code define key mappings. Vim scripts
          written for use on OS X should work the same on other OS's, and vice versa.
          Of course, there is the difference that <D-> is not available on other
          systems, but this difference is visible to the person writing the menu in the
          vim script.

          --Benji Fisher