where did my bold fonts go?

  • BrianPatrickDunn@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 16, 2007
      I recently used macports variants to add ruby functionality to version
      7.1 of Vim.app. while I was at it I turned on multi_byte, just for
      kicks. since then no bold fonts. enc is still latin1. also, funky
      rendering anomalies from time to time, like the tail of a p doesn't
      show up in the word "helpers." what to do? here is the full list of
      options.

      VIM - Vi IMproved 7.1 (2007 May 12, compiled Sep 16 2007 15:32:36)
      MacOS X (unix) version
      Included patches: 1-100
      Compiled by brian@...
      Normal version with Carbon GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
      -arabic +autocmd -balloon_eval +browse +builtin_terms +byte_offset
      +cindent
      -clientserver +clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info
      +comments
      +cryptv +cscope +cursorshape +dialog_con_gui +diff +digraphs -dnd -
      ebcdic
      -emacs_tags +eval +ex_extra +extra_search -farsi +file_in_path
      +find_in_path
      +folding -footer +fork() +gettext -hangul_input +iconv +insert_expand
      +jumplist
      -keymap -langmap +libcall +linebreak +lispindent +listcmds +localmap
      +menu
      +mksession +modify_fname +mouse -mouseshape -mouse_dec -mouse_gpm
      -mouse_jsbterm -mouse_netterm +mouse_xterm +multi_byte +multi_lang -
      mzscheme
      -netbeans_intg -osfiletype +path_extra -perl +postscript +printer -
      profile
      -python +quickfix +reltime -rightleft +ruby +scrollbind -signs
      +smartindent
      -sniff +statusline -sun_workshop +syntax +tag_binary +tag_old_static
      -tag_any_white -tcl +terminfo +termresponse +textobjects +title -
      toolbar
      +user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual +visualextra +viminfo
      +vreplace
      +wildignore +wildmenu +windows +writebackup -X11 -xfontset -xim -xsmp
      -xterm_clipboard -xterm_save

      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 20, 2007
        > I recently used macports variants to add ruby functionality to version
        > 7.1 of Vim.app. while I was at it I turned on multi_byte, just for
        > kicks. since then no bold fonts. enc is still latin1. also, funky
        > rendering anomalies from time to time, like the tail of a p doesn't
        > show up in the word "helpers." what to do? here is the full list of
        > options.

        I'm afraid I don't know much about the Carbon port of Vim so I cannot
        answer your questoin. However, in case you have overlooked the port I
        am working on (MacVim.app) I thought I'd just say you might want to
        check it out:

        http://code.google.com/p/macvim/

        The snapshot (on the above site) does not have ruby support compiled
        in but you should be able to build your own custom version with Ruby
        support (just follow the build instructions on the above site and
        uncomment the line for Ruby support in the Makefile).

        /Björn

      • Nico Weber
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 20, 2007
          > The snapshot (on the above site) does not have ruby support compiled
          > in but you should be able to build your own custom version with Ruby
          > support (just follow the build instructions on the above site and
          > uncomment the line for Ruby support in the Makefile).

          ...but MacVim doesn't support bold and italic fonts neither, does it?

          Nico

        • Jjgod Jiang
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 20, 2007

            2007/9/21, Nico Weber <nicolasweber@...>:

            > > The snapshot (on the above site) does not have ruby support compiled
            > > in but you should be able to build your own custom version with Ruby
            > > support (just follow the build instructions on the above site and
            > > uncomment the line for Ruby support in the Makefile).
            >
            > ...but MacVim doesn't support bold and italic fonts neither, does it?

            I haven't seen italic ones, but bold fonts is definitely supported, for example,
            set guifont=Courier\ New:h14 works fine.

            - Jiang

          • Niklas Lindström
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 20, 2007
              And I've seen italic. :) Just try:

              <em>Italic</em>
              <strong>Strong</strong>

              with filetype html. Not with Monaco though, but e.g. Courier New. (I'm
              using Panic Sans right now, which I can recommend.)

              Best regards,
              Niklas

              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 21, 2007
                > > The snapshot (on the above site) does not have ruby support compiled
                > > in but you should be able to build your own custom version with Ruby
                > > support (just follow the build instructions on the above site and
                > > uncomment the line for Ruby support in the Makefile).
                >
                > ...but MacVim doesn't support bold and italic fonts neither, does it?

                This is mostly repeating what Jiang and Niklas said in their posts but...

                MacVim supports: bold, italic as well as bold&italic simultaneously.
                Sadly enough, the default fixed width font (Monaco) does not have bold
                and italic variants so you have to change the font to get bold and/or
                italic. (Courier New is the only fixed width font with bold and
                italic that is installed by default on Mac OS X as far as I know.)

                MacVim does not support "fake bold", i.e. drawing a glyph on top of
                itself slightly offset to make it look bold.

                /Björn

              • Nico Weber
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 21, 2007
                  > MacVim supports: bold, italic as well as bold&italic simultaneously.
                  > Sadly enough, the default fixed width font (Monaco) does not have bold
                  > and italic variants so you have to change the font to get bold and/or
                  > italic. (Courier New is the only fixed width font with bold and
                  > italic that is installed by default on Mac OS X as far as I know.)

                  I stand corrected. What about shipping a monospace font that has bold
                  and italic versions with mac vim? Panic Sans seems to be similar to
                  bitstream vera sans mono, which is free.

                  > MacVim does not support "fake bold", i.e. drawing a glyph on top of
                  > itself slightly offset to make it look bold.

                  Yes, that's a good thing :-) (not supporting it).

                  While I'm at it: In insert mode, the cursor only blinks once each
                  time I enter insert mode, after I type something in insert mode, ...
                  In normal mode, the blinking doesn't stop. Is this intentionally?

                  Nico

                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 21, 2007
                    > > MacVim supports: bold, italic as well as bold&italic simultaneously.
                    > > Sadly enough, the default fixed width font (Monaco) does not have bold
                    > > and italic variants so you have to change the font to get bold and/or
                    > > italic. (Courier New is the only fixed width font with bold and
                    > > italic that is installed by default on Mac OS X as far as I know.)
                    >
                    > I stand corrected. What about shipping a monospace font that has bold
                    > and italic versions with mac vim? Panic Sans seems to be similar to
                    > bitstream vera sans mono, which is free.

                    I will investigate the possibility of making Bitstream Vera Sans Mono
                    the default font in MacVim. Apparently it is possible to put a font
                    in the application bundle and use it without having to install it, but
                    I have to figure out how first...does anybody know?

                    As for Panic Sans...it seems to me that the only difference between it
                    and Bitstream Vera Sans Mono is: 1) the name, 2) the former uses the
                    term "Italic", whereas the latter uses "Oblique". What fun!

                    Maybe we should have a "MacVim Sans"....just kidding.

                    > While I'm at it: In insert mode, the cursor only blinks once each
                    > time I enter insert mode, after I type something in insert mode, ...
                    > In normal mode, the blinking doesn't stop. Is this intentionally?

                    I have noticed this too and thought that was how it was supposed to
                    be...? All I do is to implement:
                    gui_mch_set_blinking()
                    gui_mch_start_blink()
                    gui_mch_stop_blink()

                    Is there anything else that needs to be done?

                    What I am trying to say here is that I didn't choose the blinking to
                    be on in normal mode and only blink once in insert mode. I checked
                    out the GTK version and it seems to do the exact opposite (one blink
                    in normal mode, always blink in insert mode). What gives? (Bram?)

                    /Björn

                  • Niklas Lindström
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 21, 2007
                      Hi!

                      On 9/21/07, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
                      [...]
                      > I will investigate the possibility of making Bitstream Vera Sans Mono
                      > the default font in MacVim. Apparently it is possible to put a font
                      > in the application bundle and use it without having to install it, but
                      > I have to figure out how first...does anybody know?

                      Sounds very good (afraid I don't know the answer to your question though).

                      > As for Panic Sans...it seems to me that the only difference between it
                      > and Bitstream Vera Sans Mono is: 1) the name, 2) the former uses the
                      > term "Italic", whereas the latter uses "Oblique". What fun!

                      Yes, that's a little funny. But I *think* another difference (at least
                      between Panic Sans and *some* version of Vera Sans IIRC) is that Panic
                      Sans has a very good underscore. I like that. :)

                      > Maybe we should have a "MacVim Sans"....just kidding.

                      :D (.. well, actually; if for instance the underscore could be prettified..)

                      Best regards,
                      Niklas

                    • Tim Allen
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 21, 2007
                        On Sep 21, 11:13 pm, "björn" <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:
                        > I will investigate the possibility of making Bitstream Vera Sans Mono
                        > the default font in MacVim.

                        Another feature request: In Vim for Win32 and Vim for GTK+, the
                        command:

                        :set gfn=*

                        ...brings up a font-picker dialog. MacVim already has the dialog,
                        since it's available from Edit -> Show Fonts, but it would be nice if
                        it could be brought up in the same way as other platforms.

                        > As for Panic Sans...it seems to me that the only difference between it
                        > and Bitstream Vera Sans Mono is: 1) the name, 2) the former uses the
                        > term "Italic", whereas the latter uses "Oblique". What fun!

                        Apparently Panic Sans has been tweaked to look nicer with OS X's
                        rendering engine[1], which makes sense since Vera Sans was originally
                        optimised for the FreeType rendering engine[2].

                        [1]: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.editors.textmate.general/19322
                        [2]: http://www.gnome.org/fonts/#Release_Notes

                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 22, 2007
                          > Another feature request: In Vim for Win32 and Vim for GTK+, the
                          > command:
                          >
                          > :set gfn=*
                          >
                          > ...brings up a font-picker dialog. MacVim already has the dialog,
                          > since it's available from Edit -> Show Fonts, but it would be nice if
                          > it could be brought up in the same way as other platforms.

                          There is already another way to accomplish this:
                          :action orderFrontFontPanel:
                          But like you say: a lot of people are used to :set gfn=*, so I have
                          now (r259) added that way as well (it simply calls the above action).

                          /Björn

                        • Tim Allen
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 22, 2007
                            On Sep 23, 5:57 am, "björn" <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:
                            > > Another feature request: In Vim for Win32 and Vim for GTK+, the
                            > > command:
                            >
                            > > :set gfn=*
                            >
                            > > ...brings up a font-picker dialog. MacVim already has the dialog,
                            > > since it's available from Edit -> Show Fonts, but it would be nice if
                            > > it could be brought up in the same way as other platforms.
                            >
                            > There is already another way to accomplish this:
                            > :action orderFrontFontPanel:

                            I discovered that by peeking at the output of ":menu". :)

                            > But like you say: a lot of people are used to :set gfn=*, so I have
                            > now (r259) added that way as well (it simply calls the above action).

                            Thanks again!

                          • Nico Weber
                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 23, 2007

                              > I will investigate the possibility of making Bitstream Vera Sans Mono
                              > the default font in MacVim. Apparently it is possible to put a font
                              > in the application bundle and use it without having to install it, but
                              > I have to figure out how first...does anybody know?

                              I took a look at this. It's quite simple, use something like this:

                              - (ATSFontContainerRef) addFont:(NSString*) path
                              {
                              ATSFontRef* fontRefs = NULL;
                              OSStatus stat; OSErr err;

                              NSURL* url = [NSURL fileURLWithPath:path];
                              if(url == nil) goto argh;
                              FSRef ref;
                              if(!CFURLGetFSRef((CFURLRef)url, &ref)) goto argh;
                              FSSpec spec;
                              err = FSGetCatalogInfo(&ref, kFSCatInfoNone, NULL, NULL, &spec,
                              NULL);
                              if(err != noErr) goto argh;

                              ATSFontContainerRef handle;
                              stat = ATSFontActivateFromFileSpecification(&spec,
                              kATSFontContextLocal,
                              kATSFontFormatUnspecified, NULL, kATSOptionFlagsDefault,
                              &handle);
                              if(stat) goto argh;

                              ItemCount count;
                              stat = ATSFontFindFromContainer(handle, kATSOptionFlagsDefault, 0,
                              NULL, &count);
                              if(stat) goto argh;
                              fontRefs = malloc(count * sizeof(ATSFontRef));
                              stat = ATSFontFindFromContainer(handle, kATSOptionFlagsDefault,
                              count, fontRefs, &count);
                              if(stat) goto argh;

                              int i;
                              for(i = 0; i < count; ++i) {
                              CFStringRef fontName;
                              stat = ATSFontGetName(fontRefs[i], kATSOptionFlagsDefault,
                              &fontName);
                              if(stat) goto argh;
                              CFShow(fontName); //NSLog(@"%s", fontName);
                              }
                              if(fontRefs) free(fontRefs);
                              return handle;

                              argh:
                              if(fontRefs) free(fontRefs);
                              NSLog(@"err %d %d\n", stat, err);
                              return nil;
                              }

                              Call it like that:
                              NSString* path = [[NSBundle mainBundle] pathForResource:@"A Cut
                              Above The Rest.ttf" ofType:nil];
                              [self addFont:path];
                              (I called that in awakeFromNib in my test app)

                              After that, you can use the font just as a regular font, it even
                              shows up in the font panel. You have to call ATSFontDeactivate
                              (handle) to deactivate the font when you no longer need it, and the
                              FSRef and FSSpec probably have to be released somehow.

                              The code worked for me for ttf files, but not for FFIL Font
                              Suitcases. I added the font to the "resources" folder in xcode.

                              HTH,
                              Nico

                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 23, 2007
                                > > I will investigate the possibility of making Bitstream Vera Sans Mono
                                > > the default font in MacVim. Apparently it is possible to put a font
                                > > in the application bundle and use it without having to install it, but
                                > > I have to figure out how first...does anybody know?
                                >
                                > I took a look at this. It's quite simple, use something like this:
                                >
                                > -snip-

                                Thanks Nico.

                                I actually found the answer already on cocoabuilder.com, so I have
                                already implemented the font loading stuff (it's in r265). The next
                                snapshot will use Bitstream Vera as the default font.

                                /Björn

                              • Tim Allen
                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 23, 2007
                                  On Sep 23, 9:23 pm, "björn" <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:
                                  > I actually found the answer already on cocoabuilder.com, so I have
                                  > already implemented the font loading stuff (it's in r265). The next
                                  > snapshot will use Bitstream Vera as the default font.

                                  Could you perhaps use DejaVu Sans Mono[1] instead? It's the same font,
                                  with the same liberal redistribution rights, but with many, many more
                                  glyphs and it's actively being developed (unlike Bitstream Vera).

                                  [1]: http://dejavu.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Download

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Sep 23, 2007
                                    > > I actually found the answer already on cocoabuilder.com, so I have
                                    > > already implemented the font loading stuff (it's in r265). The next
                                    > > snapshot will use Bitstream Vera as the default font.
                                    >
                                    > Could you perhaps use DejaVu Sans Mono[1] instead? It's the same font,
                                    > with the same liberal redistribution rights, but with many, many more
                                    > glyphs and it's actively being developed (unlike Bitstream Vera).
                                    >
                                    > [1]: http://dejavu.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Download

                                    Great! It is very nice that DejaVu contains so many glyphs. The
                                    problem file unicode.txt which is attached to Issue 2 on the MacVim
                                    project page renders quite nicely with DejaVu. I will go ahead and
                                    swap Bitstream Vera for DejaVu straight away.

                                    Thanks a lot for that tip Tim.

                                    /Björn