Re: vim-cocoa source code for GSoC final evaluation

  • Niklas Lindström
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 16, 2007
      Hi!

      > This approach do have some advantages, for example, you can open multiple
      > windows in one instance, but it's actually multiple instances started by
      > NSTask, you still can't yank text and paste them around different windows.
      > IMHO, a solution inside vim (extend vim's window structure, make it able to
      > handle multiple windows) is more preferable.

      For me personally, the "one vim instance per (os) window" approach is
      very preferable. I often have a bunch of vim sessions running (general
      management, a couple of projects, misc. notes etc) with specific
      needs, and I don't want these to share settings and session info at
      all. The MacVim solution is great in this sense, since each window is
      a separate vim but still doesn't clutter up the running apps of OS X
      (as e.g. gvim.app launching multiple Vim.app does).

      Extending vim itself to support multiple (os) windows seems to me a
      little bit going against the vim way -- i.e. letting the operating
      system handling such things (or in the case of MacVim, an "umbrella"
      app). The star clipboard, and now with Björn having added the
      +clientserver feature, that's all the cross-vim-instance integration I
      need. :)

      Just my two cents.

      (I don't have opinions regarding the rest of the differences between
      vim-cocoa and Björn's macvim; I think it's great that you're all
      making progress in this area. Thank you!)

      Best regards,
      Niklas

    • Jjgod Jiang
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 16, 2007
        Hi George,

        2007/9/15, georgeharker@... <georgeharker@...>:
        > The font panel doesn't currently set the guifont option. And the
        > horizontal scrollbar doesn't show unless you hide then show it (even
        > if it's in your guioptions from vimrc).

        These two problems had been fixed in current SVN. I created a new
        patch [1] and built a new binary [2] with these fixes applied. Thanks
        for reporting them.

        [1] http://vim-cocoa.googlecode.com/files/vim-cocoa-r101.patch
        [2] http://vim-cocoa.googlecode.com/files/vim-cocoa-r101.tar.bz2

        > Will this end up in the main source base?

        I hope so.

        - Jiang