Re: Handling Unicode codepoints outside the BMP

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 11, 2007
      Edward L. Fox wrote:

      > > [...]
      > > Thanks for looking into this. Looks good. Except that a check for
      > > UNICODE16 is needed, if that is defined then we really can use only 16
      > > bits.
      >
      > Do you mean this?

      Yes.

      --
      MORTICIAN: What?
      CUSTOMER: Nothing -- here's your nine pence.

    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 11, 2007
        Edward L. Fox wrote:

        > > [...]
        > >
        > > Only two bytes are put in buf[], thus more needs to be changed here to
        > > make it work.
        > >
        > > [...]
        > >
        > > Here too.
        > > [...]
        >
        > I don't know how to deal with the characters outside BMP for XChar2b.
        > I just assume that it is UTF-16. Please help me check this patch:

        Ehm, are you just guessing here? You better find a way to test it.
        I don't want to include this without testing.

        I doubt X11 uses UTF-16, that is something that MS-Windows uses. GTK
        uses utf-8 in most places. Other X11 toolkits probably differ, since
        they are older.

        --
        DEAD PERSON: I'm getting better!
        CUSTOMER: No, you're not -- you'll be stone dead in a moment.