mvim and multiple windows

  • Smitti
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 20 11:31 AM
      First of all, great job! This is the missing editor for OS X.

      Using mvim script, every call opens a new MacVim window.
      Is it possible to change the behavior to open files
      in a new buffer (and tab) instead of a new window?

      Thanks,
      Adam

    • Nico Weber
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 20 11:58 AM

        > Using mvim script, every call opens a new MacVim window.
        > Is it possible to change the behavior to open files
        > in a new buffer (and tab) instead of a new window?

        You can use `mvim -p *.c` to open all c files in the current folder
        in tab Pages. If you want to open a file in an existing window, you
        usually use the --remote-tab-silent parameter, which is only enabled
        if +clientserver support is compiled in. But iirc this is not (yet?)
        supported in OS X :-P

        Nico

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 21 2:26 AM

          Using mvim script, every call opens a new MacVim window.
          Is it possible to change the behavior to open files
          in a new buffer (and tab) instead of a new window?

          At this point in time it would require quite a bit of work to implement this behaviour.  I can only suggest that if you want to open files in a particular window, then isssue the opening commands from that window.  For instance:

            :tabf filename
            :tab drop *.c

          It is also possible to drag and drop files onto a window to open in tabs.

          /Björn

        • Nico Weber
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 21 5:36 AM
            > Using mvim script, every call opens a new MacVim window.
            > Is it possible to change the behavior to open files
            > in a new buffer (and tab) instead of a new window?
            >
            > At this point in time it would require quite a bit of work to
            > implement this behaviour.

            It's not too bad...the actual FEAT_CLIENTSERVER code in os_mswin.c is
            about 600 lines, and there are only 54 places in the source that
            check for FEAT_CLIENTSERVER.

            Just saying ;-)

            Nico

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 3, 2007
              > First of all, great job! This is the missing editor for OS X.
              >
              > Using mvim script, every call opens a new MacVim window.
              > Is it possible to change the behavior to open files
              > in a new buffer (and tab) instead of a new window?

              For the record: you can (as of MacVim r229) use --remote and friends
              to accomplish this, e.g.:

              mvim --remote-tab *.c

              In Vim, take a look at the help on 'client-server', i.e.

              :h client-server

              /Björn