MacVim crash

  • Nico Weber
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 14, 2007

      when opening a certain xml file and then closing it again with Cmd-w,
      MacVim behaved erratically (messing up the finder window it was
      opened from, or crashing). It's not completely reproducible (because
      Cmd-w doesn't seem to do anything anymore after the last crash), but
      I got some messages like

      2007-08-14 22:56:43.948 MacVim[6009] *** -[PSMRolloverButton
      frameDidChange:]: selector not recognized [self = 0x15a06350]
      2007-08-14 22:56:43.948 MacVim[6009] Exception raised during posting
      of notification. Ignored. exception: *** -[PSMRolloverButton
      frameDidChange:]: selector not recognized [self = 0x15a06350]
      2007-08-14 22:56:43.948 MacVim[6009] *** -[PSMRolloverButton
      frameDidChange:]: selector not recognized [self = 0x15a06350]
      2007-08-14 22:56:43.948 MacVim[6009] Exception raised during posting
      of notification. Ignored. exception: *** -[PSMRolloverButton
      frameDidChange:]: selector not recognized [self = 0x15a06350]
      2007-08-14 22:56:43.948 MacVim[6009] *** -[PSMRolloverButton
      frameDidChange:]: selector not recognized [self = 0x15a06350]

      in terminal.app.

      Perhaps this helps?

      Nico

    • Nico Weber
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 14, 2007
        > when opening a certain xml file and then closing it again with Cmd-w,
        > MacVim behaved erratically (messing up the finder window it was
        > opened from, or crashing). It's not completely reproducible (because
        > Cmd-w doesn't seem to do anything anymore after the last crash)

        Cmd-w doesn't work if I launch MacVim by opening a xml file (or any
        other file I guess, but MacVim associated itself with .xml files)
        from finder by double-clicking it (or hitting cmd-down); probably
        some vimrc is not sourced in that case. Still, this doesn't happen
        every time.

      • Nico Weber
        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 14, 2007
          On Aug 14, 2007, at 11:08 PM, Nico Weber wrote:

          >> when opening a certain xml file and then closing it again with Cmd-w,
          >> MacVim behaved erratically (messing up the finder window it was
          >> opened from, or crashing). It's not completely reproducible (because
          >> Cmd-w doesn't seem to do anything anymore after the last crash)
          >
          > Cmd-w doesn't work if I launch MacVim by opening a xml file (or any
          > other file I guess, but MacVim associated itself with .xml files)
          >> from finder by double-clicking it (or hitting cmd-down); probably
          > some vimrc is not sourced in that case. Still, this doesn't happen
          > every time.

          Ok, the "messes up finder window" part is reproducible. Create a
          folder called "zzz" in your home folder (I think it's important that
          it's the alphabetically last folder in you home dir) and create a
          subdir. Switch finder to column view (Cmd-3) and click on the folder
          inside zzz, so that the subdir of zzz is marked blue in finder.

          Now open a terminal and type

          mvim ~/_gvimrc
          mvim ~/_vimrc

          (doesn't really matter what you open, just two distinct files so that
          two MacVim windows open). Now close the second MacVim window (in this
          case, the one containing _vimrc) by hitting Cmd-w. What you'll see:
          In the finder window, the folder zzz flashes (as if it had been moved
          somewhere else for a short while and then moved back to where it was)
          and the subdir is no longer selected. This is particularly annoying
          if it was in some deeply nested folder -- you now have to navigate to
          your file again, starting from your home dir (workaround: create a
          folder that's alphabetically below the folder you're working in. This
          always happens to the last folder in your homedir). This only happens
          if at least two MacVim windows are open, so I can't test if this
          would happen with Carbon vim as well.

          I have no idea why this is happening. Perhaps a problem with running
          several vim instances? Is there a vim option that does something like
          this intentionally (Bram?)?

          The crash happens every now and then, but I couldn't find a way to
          reproduce it.

          Nico

          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 15, 2007

            >> when opening a certain xml file and then closing it again with Cmd-w,
            >> MacVim behaved erratically (messing up the finder window it was
            >> opened from, or crashing). It's not completely reproducible (because
            >> Cmd-w doesn't seem to do anything anymore after the last crash)
            >
            > Cmd-w doesn't work if I launch MacVim by opening a xml file (or any
            > other file I guess, but MacVim associated itself with .xml files)
            >> from finder by double-clicking it (or hitting cmd-down); probably
            > some vimrc is not sourced in that case. Still, this doesn't happen
            > every time.

            Ok, the "messes up finder window" part is reproducible. Create a
            folder called "zzz" in your home folder (I think it's important that
            it's the alphabetically last folder in you home dir) and create a
            subdir. Switch finder to column view (Cmd-3) and click on the folder
            inside zzz, so that the subdir of zzz is marked blue in finder.

            Now open a terminal and type

                 mvim ~/_gvimrc
                 mvim ~/_vimrc

            (doesn't really matter what you open, just two distinct files so that
            two MacVim windows open). Now close the second MacVim window (in this
            case, the one containing _vimrc) by hitting Cmd-w. What you'll see:
            In the finder window, the folder zzz flashes (as if it had been moved
            somewhere else for a short while and then moved back to where it was)
            and the subdir is no longer selected. This is particularly annoying
            if it was in some deeply nested folder -- you now have to navigate to
            your file again, starting from your home dir (workaround: create a
            folder that's alphabetically below the folder you're working in. This
            always happens to the last folder in your homedir). This only happens
            if at least two MacVim windows are open, so I can't test if this
            would happen with Carbon vim as well.

            I have no idea why this is happening. Perhaps a problem with running
            several vim instances? Is there a vim option that does something like
            this intentionally (Bram?)?

            The crash happens every now and then, but I couldn't find a way to
            reproduce it.

            This is troubling, but I have not been able to reproduce any of the problems you describe...so let me ask you this: have you got any other copies of MacVim on your hard drive?  If so, delete all of them (and empty trash)...don't rename them, you really have to delete and empty trash.  Do the problems persist?

            If these problems still remain then I am at a loss...if you could try to debug the problems I would be very grateful.

            Thanks,

            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 15, 2007

[...]

              These messages I recognize...I have been getting them intermittently for a couple of days now.  I will look into this today...maybe it is related to the problems you are having.

              /Björn

            • Nico Weber
              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 15, 2007
                > This is troubling, but I have not been able to reproduce any of the
                > problems you describe...so let me ask you this: have you got any
                > other copies of MacVim on your hard drive? If so, delete all of
                > them (and empty trash)...don't rename them, you really have to
                > delete and empty trash. Do the problems persist?
                >
                > If these problems still remain then I am at a loss...if you could
                > try to debug the problems I would be very grateful.

                I had a second MacVim.app (from svn), but it wasn't running. Anyways,
                I deleted it and emptied the trash. After I restarted my MacVim the
                problem (Finder loosing its current folder) seems to happen less
                often (not every time, but still about every third time).

                Why could a second _not running_ MacVim.app on my disk cause any
                problems?

                I have no idea how to start debugging that. OS X has, as far as I
                know, nothing to track file accesses (I guess on Linux I could use
                strace for this). Does MacVim itself do any directory renaming (I
                guess not)?

                Anyways, it seems to happen more often with xml files (which are
                associated with MacVim on my system. I didn't do this myself, so I
                guess MacVim autoassociated itself with them).

                To reproduce:
                mkdir ~/zza
                touch ~/zza/bla.xml
                mkdir -p ~/zzz/folder
                open -a Finder ~/zzz/folder
                open -a Finder ~/zza

                Do
                1. cmd-down (in finder, to open MacVim with the empty xml file)
                2. cmd-w (to close the MacVim window)
                3. cmd-q (to close macvim)
                4. goto 1

                until the finder window displaying zzz/folder displays only your
                homedir. I need to repeat the loop 1 to 3 times. If the finder window
                displaying folder is in view 1, it disappears instead of displaying
                your home dir (this happens in view 3). What this means: Simply
                execute the commands as given above and don't fiddle with the finder
                window views ;-)

                Can you reproduce this?

                I just noticed that this vanishes if I start MacVim with `mvim -u
                NONE`. However, if I rename the _vimrc in my home folder, it still
                happens, so it might be a problem with MacVims vimrc? Hm, the system
                vimrc seems to contain only `:set nocompatible`. But this seems to be
                the culprit: If I do the steps outlined above (but with `:q` instead
                of `Cmd-w` and by opening MacVim with -u NONE), everything is fine;
                but if I do `:set nocompatible`, `:q` the finder window vanishes.
                This does also happen with only one MacVim window. It doesn't happen
                in carbon gvim, but carbon gvim closes on :q. On the other hand, it
                also happens if I only press cmd-q in macvim every now and then
                (after doing `:set compatible`, starting with `mvim -u NONE`).

                HTH,
                Nico

              • Nico Weber
                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 15, 2007
                  > These messages I recognize...I have been getting them
                  > intermittently for a couple of days now. I will look into this
                  > today...maybe it is related to the problems you are having.

                  can you see the `mvim -d` problem as well?

                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 15, 2007

                    > This is troubling, but I have not been able to reproduce any of the
                    > problems you describe...so let me ask you this: have you got any
                    > other copies of MacVim on your hard drive?  If so, delete all of
                    > them (and empty trash)...don't rename them, you really have to
                    > delete and empty trash.  Do the problems persist?
                    >
                    > If these problems still remain then I am at a loss...if you could
                    > try to debug the problems I would be very grateful.

                    I had a second MacVim.app (from svn), but it wasn't running. Anyways,
                    I deleted it and emptied the trash. After I restarted my MacVim the
                    problem (Finder loosing its current folder) seems to happen less
                    often (not every time, but still about every third time).

                    Why could a second _not running_ MacVim.app on my disk cause any
                    problems?

                    I don't get it either.  It seems like Mac OS X gets confused if you have several versions of an application on your hard drive.  I am having serious problems with this...I never know which version it is using, so I regularly have to delete all but one copy of MacVim.  It is highly annoying.

                    I have no idea how to start debugging that. OS X has, as far as I
                    know, nothing to track file accesses (I guess on Linux I could use
                    strace for this). Does MacVim itself do any directory renaming (I
                    guess not)?

                    Nope.

                    Anyways, it seems to happen more often with xml files (which are
                    associated with MacVim on my system. I didn't do this myself, so I
                    guess MacVim autoassociated itself with them).

                    It's the Info.plist which contains an xml entry.  So if no other program has an xml entry in their Info.plist, OS X will make your app the default.

                    To reproduce:
                    mkdir ~/zza
                    touch ~/zza/bla.xml
                    mkdir -p ~/zzz/folder
                    open -a Finder ~/zzz/folder
                    open -a Finder ~/zza

                    Do
                    1. cmd-down (in finder, to open MacVim with the empty xml file)
                    2. cmd-w (to close the MacVim window)
                    3. cmd-q (to close macvim)
                    4. goto 1

                    until the finder window displaying zzz/folder displays only your
                    homedir. I need to repeat the loop 1 to 3 times. If the finder window
                    displaying folder is in view 1, it disappears instead of displaying
                    your home dir (this happens in view 3). What this means: Simply
                    execute the commands as given above and don't fiddle with the finder
                    window views ;-)

                    Can you reproduce this?

                    Still nothing (and I've been repeating your procedure about 50 times in a row).

                    I just noticed that this vanishes if I start MacVim with `mvim -u
                    NONE`. However, if I rename the _vimrc in my home folder, it still
                    happens, so it might be a problem with MacVims vimrc? Hm, the system
                    vimrc seems to contain only `:set nocompatible`. But this seems to be
                    the culprit: If I do the steps outlined above (but with `:q` instead
                    of `Cmd-w` and by opening MacVim with -u NONE), everything is fine;
                    but if I do `:set nocompatible`, `:q` the finder window vanishes.
                    This does also happen with only one MacVim window. It doesn't happen
                    in carbon gvim, but carbon gvim closes on :q. On the other hand, it
                    also happens if I only press cmd-q in macvim every now and then
                    (after doing `:set compatible`, starting with `mvim -u NONE`).

                    This is weird...I have no idea as to what is going on...how can nocompatible make any difference?  Hmmm...

                    On another note; I'm running MacVim through the debugger and stress testing it and I've had all sorts of fun problems (bad memory accesses etc.) so there is obviously some bigger problem lurking in the background.  All problems happen when a window is either opened or closed so I've got some kind of memory problem I think.  I'll keep digging...it might be that all these weird issues are related somehow.

                    /Björn

                  • john_oshea@wordbank.com
                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 15, 2007
                      Nico Weber wrote:
                      > I have no idea how to start debugging that. OS X has, as far as I
                      > know, nothing to track file accesses (I guess on Linux I could use
                      > strace for this). Does MacVim itself do any directory renaming (I
                      > guess not)?

                      sudo ktrace -ti -p {pid}

                      will trace all I/O for process {pid}

                      It sticks the raw data in a ktrace.out file by default, and you can then use

                      sudo kdump

                      to view it in a more human-friendly format - is that the kind of thing
                      you're after?

                      --
                      John O'Shea
                      Wordbank Limited

                      Message 10 of 24 , Aug 16, 2007

                        On another note; I'm running MacVim through the debugger and stress testing it and I've had all sorts of fun problems (bad memory accesses etc.) so there is obviously some bigger problem lurking in the background.  All problems happen when a window is either opened or closed so I've got some kind of memory problem I think.  I'll keep digging...it might be that all these weird issues are related somehow.

                        Ok, after a whole day of debugging I came up with this:

                        1. PSMTabBarControl never unregisters as an observer from the NSNotificationCenter.  This caused all sorts of weird problems...those error messages Nico reported were because of this.

                        2. Something inside VimWindow.nib got deallocated twice whenever MMWindowController was released.  I could not for the life of me figure out exactly what it was, so I removed all the views from the nib and create them manually inside [MMWindowController initWithVimController] instead.  I am not entirely sure this fixes the bug, because it can be somewhat hard to reproduce (it involves opening&closing windows like a mad man), but I've had no problems so far (knock on wood).

                        Nico, you might want to update your svn repository (to r145 at least) and see if the problems you've been having are still there or not.  Of course, I do not discount the possibility that the changes I've made have introduced more bugs...I've only been using it for half an hour or so, but I would appreciate if you could test it as well.

                        /Björn

                      • Nico Weber
                        Message 11 of 24 , Aug 17, 2007
                          > Nico, you might want to update your svn repository (to r145 at
                          > least) and see if the problems you've been having are still there
                          > or not. Of course, I do not discount the possibility that the
                          > changes I've made have introduced more bugs...I've only been using
                          > it for half an hour or so, but I would appreciate if you could test
                          > it as well.

                          I just updated to MacVim revision 153 and vim revision 460. This
                          version is horribly broken. If I open MacVim, the first window has a
                          deactivated title bar and the menus look as if no window was opened.
                          Hitting Cmd-n produces more inactive windows but doesn't change the
                          menu either. If I quite MacVim, the Vim instances stay alive, I have
                          to kill them in Activity Monitor.

                          Nico

                          Message 12 of 24 , Aug 18, 2007
                            > Nico, you might want to update your svn repository (to r145 at
                            > least) and see if the problems you've been having are still there
                            > or not.  Of course, I do not discount the possibility that the
                            > changes I've made have introduced more bugs...I've only been using
                            > it for half an hour or so, but I would appreciate if you could test
                            > it as well.

                            I just updated to MacVim revision 153 and vim revision 460. This
                            version is horribly broken. If I open MacVim, the first window has a
                            deactivated title bar and the menus look as if no window was opened.
                            Hitting Cmd-n produces more inactive windows but doesn't change the
                            menu either. If I quite MacVim, the Vim instances stay alive, I have
                            to kill them in Activity Monitor.

                            Did you try to "Clean all" in the Xcode project and rebuild (you might want to rebuild Vim as well, but that should not matter so much)?  The fact that the Vim instances are still alive indicates that something is wrong with your build; each instance will automatically quit whenever their NSConnection is invalidated and this happens automatically (and instantaneously) whenever MacVim quits (a Mach ports feature).

                            /Björn

                          • Nico Weber
                            Message 13 of 24 , Aug 19, 2007
                              > I just updated to MacVim revision 153 and vim revision 460. This
                              > version is horribly broken. If I open MacVim, the first window has a
                              > deactivated title bar and the menus look as if no window was opened.
                              > Hitting Cmd-n produces more inactive windows but doesn't change the
                              > menu either. If I quit MacVim, the Vim instances stay alive, I have
                              > to kill them in Activity Monitor.
                              >
                              > Did you try to "Clean all" in the Xcode project and rebuild (you
                              > might want to rebuild Vim as well, but that should not matter so
                              > much)? The fact that the Vim instances are still alive indicates
                              > that something is wrong with your build; each instance will
                              > automatically quit whenever their NSConnection is invalidated and
                              > this happens automatically (and instantaneously) whenever MacVim
                              > quits (a Mach ports feature).

                              This still happens after a "clean all" in xcode and "make clean" for
                              vim. The run log shows

                              [Session started at 2007-08-19 20:52:40 +0200.]
                              Error detected while processing /Users/nico/_vimrc: [J
                              line 34: [J
                              E484: Can't open file /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim/
                              syntax/syntax.vim [J

                              Error detected while processing /Users/nico/_gvimrc:
                              line 29:
                              E484: Can't open file /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim/
                              syntax/syntax.vim2007-08-19 20:52:40.484 Vim[20661] CFLog (0):
                              CFMessagePort: bootstrap_register(): failed 1103 (0x44f), port =
                              0x3903, name = 'org.vim.MacVim.ServiceProvider'
                              See /usr/include/servers/bootstrap_defs.h for the error codes.
                              2007-08-19 20:52:40.485 Vim[20661] CFLog (99):
                              CFMessagePortCreateLocal(): failed to name Mach port
                              (org.vim.MacVim.ServiceProvider)

                              I started MacVim by hitting "run" in xcode as well as by executing
                              MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g .

                              For some reason, "allow zero link" is grayed out in xcode. This might
                              be related. Ideas?

                              Thanks,
                              Nico

                              Message 14 of 24 , Aug 20, 2007

                                > I just updated to MacVim revision 153 and vim revision 460. This
                                > version is horribly broken. If I open MacVim, the first window has a
                                > deactivated title bar and the menus look as if no window was opened.
                                > Hitting Cmd-n produces more inactive windows but doesn't change the
                                > menu either. If I quit MacVim, the Vim instances stay alive, I have
                                > to kill them in Activity Monitor.
                                >
                                > Did you try to "Clean all" in the Xcode project and rebuild (you
                                > might want to rebuild Vim as well, but that should not matter so
                                > much)?  The fact that the Vim instances are still alive indicates
                                > that something is wrong with your build; each instance will
                                > automatically quit whenever their NSConnection is invalidated and
                                > this happens automatically (and instantaneously) whenever MacVim
                                > quits (a Mach ports feature).

                                This still happens after a "clean all" in xcode and "make clean" for
                                vim. The run log shows

                                [Session started at 2007-08-19 20:52:40 +0200.]
                                Error detected while processing /Users/nico/_vimrc: [J
                                line   34: [J
                                E484: Can't open file /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim/
                                syntax/syntax.vim [J

                                Error detected while processing /Users/nico/_gvimrc:
                                line   29:
                                E484: Can't open file /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim/
                                syntax/syntax.vim2007-08-19 20:52:40.484 Vim[20661] CFLog (0):
                                CFMessagePort: bootstrap_register(): failed 1103 (0x44f), port =
                                0x3903, name = 'org.vim.MacVim.ServiceProvider'
                                See /usr/include/servers/bootstrap_defs.h for the error codes.
                                2007-08-19 20:52:40.485 Vim[20661] CFLog (99):
                                CFMessagePortCreateLocal(): failed to name Mach port
                                (org.vim.MacVim.ServiceProvider)

                                I started MacVim by hitting "run" in xcode as well as by executing
                                MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g .

                                It sounds to me like you already have MacVim running; so when you hit Cmd-n the Vim window will actually belong to the already running MacVim instance (which is why it is grayed out) and when you quit MacVim the Vim processes keep running because they "belong" to the MacVim instance that is still running.  This is confusing, but quite logical --- when a Vim process starts it checks if MacVim is running by trying to connect to a named port.  This port name is derived from "CFBundleIdentifier" inside Info.plist.  If there is such a port, it connects to it; if not, it starts up MacVim and keeps trying to connect to the port until it succeeds (or times out).  (All this is in -[MMBackend checkin].)

                                When you start your newly built MacVim from Xcode it tries to create the named port but fails (MMAppController).  At this point in time it really should give up and quit, because this can only mean that another instance of MacVim is already up and running, but I haven't gotten around to implementing this yet.

                                Normally, this problem never happens because there should only be one instance of MacVim.app on your hard drive.  When you are developing though it is a whole other story, which is why you have to this:  Go into the Info.plist or the instance that you are _not_ building and change the value of "CFBundleIdentifier" (I use "org.vim.MacVim-devel").  Check "Building MacVim whilst using it to code" in

                                http://code.google.com/p/macvim/wiki/Building

                                for more details.

                                The E484 error sounds to me like the Vim runtime folder is not copied properly into the app bundle.  Have you checked out the MacVim source to the folder "vim7/src/MacVim"?  Is "vim7/runtime" present?  Finally, check that "build/Debug/MacVim.app/Contents/Resources/vim/runtime" is populated with all the relevant runtime files ( e.g. syntax.vim which seems to be missing).  If that's not the problem, then maybe $VIMRUNTIME is not being set properly?  (I force it in one of the init functions in gui_macvim.m)

                                For some reason, "allow zero link" is grayed out in xcode. This might
                                be related. Ideas?

                                No.  This is because I have disabled zero link in the build settings.  (You can check this by opening the "Info" window (Cmd+I) on "Targets / MacVim" in Xcode.)

                                Hope that helps,
                                /Björn

                              • Nico Weber
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jan 7, 2008

                                  with the latest git version, Cmd-= crashes MacVim (it seems it
                                  actually crashes the vim process). Attaching gdb to a running MacVim
                                  yields this backtrace:

                                  nico$ gdb build/Debug/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim 381
                                  GNU gdb 6.3.50-20050815 (Apple version gdb-768) (Tue Oct 2 04:07:49
                                  UTC 2007)
                                  GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and
                                  you are
                                  conditions.
                                  There is absolutely no warranty for GDB. Type "show warranty" for
                                  details.
                                  This GDB was configured as "i386-apple-darwin"...Reading symbols for
                                  shared libraries .............. done

                                  /Users/nico/src/vim/MacVim/src/MacVim/381: No such file or directory.
                                  Attaching to program: `/Users/nico/src/vim/MacVim/src/MacVim/build/
                                  Debug/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim', process 381.
                                  Reading symbols for shared libraries ++++++++++++
                                  +
                                  ............................................................................... done
                                  0x91a638e6 in mach_msg_trap ()
                                  (gdb) continue
                                  Continuing.

                                  Program received signal EXC_BAD_ACCESS, Could not access memory.
                                  Reason: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at address: 0x0000000c
                                  0x91e9598e in -[NSFont pointSize] ()
                                  (gdb) bt
                                  #0 0x91e9598e in -[NSFont pointSize] ()
                                  #1 0x00137081 in -[MMBackend setFont:] (self=0x31cd60,
                                  _cmd=0x91e0507c, font=0x6520f0) at MacVim/MMBackend.m:854
                                  #2 0x001331e0 in gui_mch_init_font (font_name=0xbfffee00 "DejaVu Sans
                                  Mono:h13.00", fontset=0) at MacVim/gui_macvim.m:861
                                  #3 0x001301f6 in gui_init_font (font_list=0x615bc7 "", fontset=0) at
                                  gui.c:803
                                  #4 0x000c4045 in did_set_string_option (opt_idx=113, varp=0x16b8b0,
                                  new_value_alloced=1, oldval=0x146bd8 "", errbuf=0x0, opt_flags=0) at
                                  option.c:6085
                                  #5 0x000c5536 in set_option_value (name=0x14a87e "guifont", number=0,
                                  string=0x326c70 "DejaVu Sans Mono:h13.00", opt_flags=<value
                                  temporarily unavailable, due to optimizations>) at option.c:5425
                                  #6 0x00139c4e in -[MMBackend(Private) handleSetFont:] (self=0x31cd60,
                                  _cmd=0x151bab, data=0x329120) at MacVim/MMBackend.m:1950
                                  #7 0x00139028 in -[MMBackend(Private) handleInputEvent:data:]
                                  (self=0x31cd60, _cmd=0x151c52, msgid=33, data=0x329120) at MacVim/
                                  MMBackend.m:1578
                                  #8 0x00138e46 in -[MMBackend(Private) processInputQueue]
                                  (self=0x31cd60, _cmd=0x151c69) at MacVim/MMBackend.m:1507
                                  #9 0x00135a8a in -[MMBackend waitForInput:] (self=0x31cd60,
                                  _cmd=0x1515c8, milliseconds=1000) at MacVim/MMBackend.m:461
                                  #10 0x00132207 in gui_mch_wait_for_chars (wtime=0) at MacVim/
                                  gui_macvim.m:219
                                  #11 0x0012e0c3 in gui_wait_for_chars (wtime=-1) at gui.c:2781
                                  #12 0x00121f6c in ui_inchar (buf=0x165d6d "", maxlen=0, wtime=-1,
                                  tb_change_cnt=14) at ui.c:184
                                  #13 0x0006ee8e in inchar (buf=0x165d6d "", maxlen=251, wait_time=-1,
                                  tb_change_cnt=14) at getchar.c:2927
                                  #14 0x00071fe0 in vgetorpeek (advance=1) at getchar.c:2713
                                  #15 0x00072538 in vgetc () at getchar.c:1540
                                  #16 0x0007298f in safe_vgetc () at getchar.c:1745
                                  #17 0x000af79d in normal_cmd (oap=0xbffff5d8, toplevel=1) at normal.c:
                                  621
                                  #18 0x00078888 in main_loop (cmdwin=0, noexmode=0) at main.c:1218
                                  #19 0x0007c572 in main (argc=-1846978201, argv=0x91e95967) at main.c:965

                                  Any ideas why this could happen? Some build error on my part? Or has
                                  the font handling code in the backend changed recently?

                                  Thanks,
                                  Nico

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jan 7, 2008
                                    On 07/01/2008, Nico Weber <nicolasweber@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                    > shared libraries .............. done
                                    >
                                    > /Users/nico/src/vim/MacVim/src/MacVim/381: No such file or directory.
                                    > Attaching to program: `/Users/nico/src/vim/MacVim/src/MacVim/build/
                                    > Debug/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim', process 381.
                                    > Reading symbols for shared libraries ++++++++++++
                                    > +
                                    > ............................................................................... done
                                    > 0x91a638e6 in mach_msg_trap ()
                                    > (gdb) continue
                                    > Continuing.
                                    >
                                    > Program received signal EXC_BAD_ACCESS, Could not access memory.
                                    > Reason: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at address: 0x0000000c
                                    > 0x91e9598e in -[NSFont pointSize] ()
                                    > (gdb) bt
                                    > #0 0x91e9598e in -[NSFont pointSize] ()
                                    > #1 0x00137081 in -[MMBackend setFont:] (self=0x31cd60,
                                    > _cmd=0x91e0507c, font=0x6520f0) at MacVim/MMBackend.m:854
                                    > #2 0x001331e0 in gui_mch_init_font (font_name=0xbfffee00 "DejaVu Sans
                                    > Mono:h13.00", fontset=0) at MacVim/gui_macvim.m:861
                                    > #3 0x001301f6 in gui_init_font (font_list=0x615bc7 "", fontset=0) at
                                    > gui.c:803
                                    > #4 0x000c4045 in did_set_string_option (opt_idx=113, varp=0x16b8b0,
                                    > new_value_alloced=1, oldval=0x146bd8 "", errbuf=0x0, opt_flags=0) at
                                    > option.c:6085
                                    > #5 0x000c5536 in set_option_value (name=0x14a87e "guifont", number=0,
                                    > string=0x326c70 "DejaVu Sans Mono:h13.00", opt_flags=<value
                                    > temporarily unavailable, due to optimizations>) at option.c:5425
                                    > #6 0x00139c4e in -[MMBackend(Private) handleSetFont:] (self=0x31cd60,
                                    > _cmd=0x151bab, data=0x329120) at MacVim/MMBackend.m:1950
                                    > #7 0x00139028 in -[MMBackend(Private) handleInputEvent:data:]
                                    > (self=0x31cd60, _cmd=0x151c52, msgid=33, data=0x329120) at MacVim/
                                    > MMBackend.m:1578
                                    > #8 0x00138e46 in -[MMBackend(Private) processInputQueue]
                                    > (self=0x31cd60, _cmd=0x151c69) at MacVim/MMBackend.m:1507
                                    > #9 0x00135a8a in -[MMBackend waitForInput:] (self=0x31cd60,
                                    > _cmd=0x1515c8, milliseconds=1000) at MacVim/MMBackend.m:461
                                    > #10 0x00132207 in gui_mch_wait_for_chars (wtime=0) at MacVim/
                                    > gui_macvim.m:219
                                    > #11 0x0012e0c3 in gui_wait_for_chars (wtime=-1) at gui.c:2781
                                    > #12 0x00121f6c in ui_inchar (buf=0x165d6d "", maxlen=0, wtime=-1,
                                    > tb_change_cnt=14) at ui.c:184
                                    > #13 0x0006ee8e in inchar (buf=0x165d6d "", maxlen=251, wait_time=-1,
                                    > tb_change_cnt=14) at getchar.c:2927
                                    > #14 0x00071fe0 in vgetorpeek (advance=1) at getchar.c:2713
                                    > #15 0x00072538 in vgetc () at getchar.c:1540
                                    > #16 0x0007298f in safe_vgetc () at getchar.c:1745
                                    > #17 0x000af79d in normal_cmd (oap=0xbffff5d8, toplevel=1) at normal.c:
                                    > 621
                                    > #18 0x00078888 in main_loop (cmdwin=0, noexmode=0) at main.c:1218
                                    > #19 0x0007c572 in main (argc=-1846978201, argv=0x91e95967) at main.c:965
                                    >

                                    > Any ideas why this could happen? Some build error on my part? Or has
                                    > the font handling code in the backend changed recently?

                                    The font handling changed some time back yes...and I can see what the
                                    problem is, but I don't know why it happens. At the moment a pointer
                                    to an NSFont is stored in the global struct "gui" (gui.norm_font).
                                    For some reason, in your backtrace gui.norm_font == 0xc, which
                                    obviously is not a very good pointer value. I guess it has been
                                    overwritten somehow. First try recompiling from scratch...maybe
                                    something went wrong whilst building and that will take care of it.
                                    If that doesn't work try setting a breakpoint on writes to the memory
                                    location of gui.norm_font to see where/when the overwriting is done.
                                    Let me know what you find out. (I should say that I cannot recreate
                                    this problem.)

                                    Thanks,

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jan 7, 2008
                                      On 07/01/2008, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
> [...]
                                      > > #19 0x0007c572 in main (argc=-1846978201, argv=0x91e95967) at main.c:965
                                      > >

                                      > > Any ideas why this could happen? Some build error on my part? Or has
                                      > > the font handling code in the backend changed recently?
                                      >
                                      > The font handling changed some time back yes...and I can see what the
                                      > problem is, but I don't know why it happens. At the moment a pointer
                                      > to an NSFont is stored in the global struct "gui" (gui.norm_font).
                                      > For some reason, in your backtrace gui.norm_font == 0xc, which
                                      > obviously is not a very good pointer value. I guess it has been
                                      > overwritten somehow. First try recompiling from scratch...maybe
                                      > something went wrong whilst building and that will take care of it.
                                      > If that doesn't work try setting a breakpoint on writes to the memory
                                      > location of gui.norm_font to see where/when the overwriting is done.
                                      > Let me know what you find out. (I should say that I cannot recreate

                                      I just looked into this a bit more and found a potentially fatal bug
                                      in the font management code. However, on the surface this does not
                                      seem like a fix to the bug that you described, but it does deal with
                                      gui.norm_font (that pointer sometimes lead to unallocated memory, so
                                      who knows what problems that may have caused).

                                      So, pull the latest version and see if that fixes your problems.

                                      /Björn

                                    • Nico Weber
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jan 7, 2008
                                        > I just looked into this a bit more and found a potentially fatal bug
                                        > in the font management code. However, on the surface this does not
                                        > seem like a fix to the bug that you described, but it does deal with
                                        > gui.norm_font (that pointer sometimes lead to unallocated memory, so
                                        > who knows what problems that may have caused).
                                        >
                                        > So, pull the latest version and see if that fixes your problems.

                                        It does indeed fix the problem. Thanks for the quick fix :-)

                                        Nico

                                      • Nico Weber
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jul 14, 2008

                                          MacVim just crashed on me after starting it with `mvim` after a
                                          reboot. It's the version with the quickstart patch. It seems it's not
                                          reproducible. Might be because I currently have two MacVim's with
                                          bundle identifier org.vim.MacVim, but perhaps it's a real bug. Here's
                                          the crash log:

                                          Process: MacVim [486]
                                          Identifier: org.vim.MacVim
                                          Version: 7.1 (33)
                                          Code Type: X86 (Native)
                                          Parent Process: launchd [91]

                                          Date/Time: 2008-07-14 19:21:03.176 +0200
                                          OS Version: Mac OS X 10.5.4 (9E17)
                                          Report Version: 6

                                          Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
                                          Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000000
                                          Crashed Thread: 0

                                          Thread 0 Crashed:
                                          0 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x91978f33 __CFFromUTF8 + 675
                                          1 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x91a09adf
                                          __CFStringDecodeByteStream3 + 1967
                                          2 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x919f1109
                                          __CFStringCreateImmutableFunnel3 + 409
                                          3 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x919f236e CFStringCreateWithBytes
                                          + 94
                                          4 com.apple.Foundation 0x904b3e0d -[NSPlaceholderString
                                          initWithBytes:length:encoding:] + 61
                                          5 org.vim.MacVim 0x0000fb65 -
                                          [MMVimController(Private) handleMessage:data:] + 520
                                          6 org.vim.MacVim 0x0000f8b7 -
                                          [MMVimController(Private) doProcessCommandQueue:] + 555
                                          7 org.vim.MacVim 0x0000f47e -[MMVimController
                                          processCommandQueue:] + 155
                                          8 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x91a56a7d __invoking___ + 29
                                          9 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x91a56468 -[NSInvocation invoke] +
                                          136
                                          10 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x91a56538 -[NSInvocation
                                          invokeWithTarget:] + 72
                                          11 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x91a569aa ___forwarding___ + 986
                                          12 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x91a56a12 _CF_forwarding_prep_0 + 50
                                          13 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x91a56a7d __invoking___ + 29
                                          14 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x91a56468 -[NSInvocation invoke] +
                                          136
                                          15 com.apple.Foundation 0x904d94c4 -[NSConnection
                                          dispatchInvocation:] + 132
                                          16 com.apple.Foundation 0x904d7477 -[NSConnection
                                          handleRequest:sequence:] + 1319
                                          17 com.apple.Foundation 0x904d6cbd -[NSConnection
                                          handlePortCoder:] + 1149
                                          18 com.apple.Foundation 0x904d67ee -[NSConcretePortCoder
                                          dispatch] + 142
                                          19 com.apple.Foundation 0x904d5f53 __NSFireMachPort + 339
                                          20 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x919b3635 __CFMachPortPerform + 117
                                          21 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x919d7908 CFRunLoopRunSpecific +
                                          3896
                                          22 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x919d7cf8 CFRunLoopRunInMode + 88
                                          23 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x9494bda4
                                          RunCurrentEventLoopInMode + 283
                                          24 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x9494bbbd ReceiveNextEventCommon +
                                          374
                                          25 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x9494ba31
                                          BlockUntilNextEventMatchingListInMode + 106
                                          26 com.apple.AppKit 0x94d15505 _DPSNextEvent + 657
                                          27 com.apple.AppKit 0x94d14db8 -[NSApplication
                                          nextEventMatchingMask:untilDate:inMode:dequeue:] + 128
                                          28 com.apple.AppKit 0x94d0ddf3 -[NSApplication run] + 795
                                          29 com.apple.AppKit 0x94cdb030 NSApplicationMain + 574
                                          30 org.vim.MacVim 0x00002d12 _start + 216
                                          31 org.vim.MacVim 0x00002c39 start + 41

                                          Thread 1:
                                          0 libSystem.B.dylib 0x96af64a6 mach_msg_trap + 10
                                          1 libSystem.B.dylib 0x96afdc9c mach_msg + 72
                                          2 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x919d70ce CFRunLoopRunSpecific +
                                          1790
                                          3 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x919d7cf8 CFRunLoopRunInMode + 88
                                          4 com.apple.Foundation 0x904ff460 +
                                          [NSURLConnection(NSURLConnectionReallyInternal) _resourceLoadLoop:] +
                                          320
                                          5 com.apple.Foundation 0x9049bf1d -[NSThread main] + 45
                                          6 com.apple.Foundation 0x9049bac4 __NSThread__main__ + 308
                                          7 libSystem.B.dylib 0x96b276f5 _pthread_start + 321
                                          8 libSystem.B.dylib 0x96b275b2 thread_start + 34

                                          Thread 2:
                                          0 libSystem.B.dylib 0x96b465e2 select$DARWIN_EXTSN + 10
                                          1 libSystem.B.dylib 0x96b276f5 _pthread_start + 321
                                          2 libSystem.B.dylib 0x96b275b2 thread_start + 34

                                          Thread 3:
                                          0 libSystem.B.dylib 0x96b26f66 kevent + 10
                                          1 libSystem.B.dylib 0x96b276f5 _pthread_start + 321
                                          2 libSystem.B.dylib 0x96b275b2 thread_start + 34

                                          Thread 4:
                                          0 libSystem.B.dylib 0x96af64a6 mach_msg_trap + 10
                                          1 libSystem.B.dylib 0x96afdc9c mach_msg + 72
                                          2 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x919d70ce CFRunLoopRunSpecific +
                                          1790
                                          3 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x919d7cf8 CFRunLoopRunInMode + 88
                                          4 com.apple.CFNetwork 0x903d4a32
                                          CFURLCacheWorkerThread(void*) + 396
                                          5 libSystem.B.dylib 0x96b276f5 _pthread_start + 321
                                          6 libSystem.B.dylib 0x96b275b2 thread_start + 34

                                          Thread 5:
                                          0 libSystem.B.dylib 0x96b26f66 kevent + 10
                                          1 libSystem.B.dylib 0x96b276f5 _pthread_start + 321
                                          2 libSystem.B.dylib 0x96b275b2 thread_start + 34

                                          Thread 0 crashed with X86 Thread State (32-bit):
                                          eax: 0x00000000 ebx: 0x91978ca1 ecx: 0x159c1795 edx: 0x00000000
                                          edi: 0x696c7062 esi: 0x00000073 ebp: 0xbfffe058 esp: 0xbfffdfd0
                                          ss: 0x0000001f efl: 0x00010202 eip: 0x91978f33 cs: 0x00000017
                                          ds: 0x0000001f es: 0x0000001f fs: 0x00000000 gs: 0x00000037
                                          cr2: 0x00000000

                                          Binary Images:
                                          0x1000 - 0x33fef +org.vim.MacVim 7.1 (33)
                                          <88af96374fa4ce78c481eb050411fa71> /Users/nico/src/vim/MacVim/src/
                                          MacVim/build/Release/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/MacVim
                                          0x4b000 - 0x57ff7 +org.andymatuschak.Sparkle ??? (1.1) /Users/
                                          nico/src/vim/MacVim/src/MacVim/build/Release/MacVim.app/Contents/
                                          Frameworks/Sparkle.framework/Versions/A/Sparkle
                                          0x9b000 - 0x9cfff +com.1passwd.InputManager 2.5.8 (5968)
                                          <4a20d22abb2515ac6e728631964a8239> /Library/InputManagers/1PasswdIM/
                                          1PasswdIM.bundle/Contents/MacOS/1PasswdIM
                                          0xc4000 - 0xcdfff +net.sourceforge.SafariAdBlock 0.3.2 (0.3.2)
                                          <83d3f111f660be3866ff42427e0bd1c9> /Library/InputManagers/Safari
                                          AdBlock/Safari AdBlock.bundle/Contents/MacOS/Safari AdBlock
                                          0xda000 - 0xdfffd +org.slashpunt.edit_in_odbeditor ??? (1.2) /
                                          Library/InputManagers/Edit in ODBEditor/Edit in ODBEditor.bundle/
                                          Contents/MacOS/Edit in ODBEditor
                                          0x31b000 - 0x31cff3 ATSHI.dylib ??? (???) /System/Library/
                                          Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/
                                          ATS.framework/Versions/A/Resources/ATSHI.dylib
                                          0x32f000 - 0x36cfe3 +com.zang.RegexKit 0.6.0 (0.6.0) /Library/
                                          InputManagers/Safari AdBlock/Safari AdBlock.bundle/Contents/Frameworks/
                                          RegexKit.framework/Versions/A/RegexKit
                                          0x1525d000 - 0x1537bff7 com.apple.RawCamera.bundle 2.0.7 (2.0.7) /
                                          System/Library/CoreServices/RawCamera.bundle/Contents/MacOS/RawCamera
                                          0x8fe00000 - 0x8fe2da53 dyld 96.2 (???)
                                          <7af47d3b00b2268947563c7fa8c59a07> /usr/lib/dyld
                                          0x90009000 - 0x90009ffd com.apple.vecLib 3.4.2 (vecLib 3.4.2) /System/
                                          Library/Frameworks/vecLib.framework/Versions/A/vecLib
                                          0x9000a000 - 0x903c8fea libLAPACK.dylib ??? (???) /System/Library/
                                          Frameworks/Accelerate.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/vecLib.framework/
                                          Versions/A/libLAPACK.dylib
                                          0x903c9000 - 0x9044bff3 com.apple.CFNetwork 330.4 (330.4)
                                          <ce5b085df34a78b7f198aff9db5b52ec> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CFNetwork.framework/
                                          Versions/A/CFNetwork
                                          0x9044c000 - 0x90474fff libcups.2.dylib ??? (???)
                                          <ece20dff2a2c8ed3ae6ef735ef440c37> /usr/lib/libcups.2.dylib
                                          0x90475000 - 0x90490ff3 libPng.dylib ??? (???)
                                          <c0484bec6e2432b406755591924fe664> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/
                                          Versions/A/Resources/libPng.dylib
                                          0x90491000 - 0x9070cfe7 com.apple.Foundation 6.5.5 (677.19)
                                          <bfd4ebea1a7739dd6b523f15dca01a37> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          Foundation.framework/Versions/C/Foundation
                                          0x9070d000 - 0x9071dffc com.apple.LangAnalysis 1.6.4 (1.6.4)
                                          <8b7831b5f74a950a56cf2d22a2d436f6> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/
                                          LangAnalysis.framework/Versions/A/LangAnalysis
                                          0x9071e000 - 0x90725ff7 libCGATS.A.dylib ??? (???)
                                          <9b29a5500efe01cc3adea67bbc42568e> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/
                                          CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libCGATS.A.dylib
                                          0x9081b000 - 0x90861fef com.apple.Metadata 10.5.2 (398.18)
                                          <adbb3a14e8f7da444e16d2fd61862771> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/Metadata.framework/
                                          Versions/A/Metadata
                                          0x90899000 - 0x9089dfff libGIF.dylib ??? (???)
                                          <d4234e6f5e5f530bdafb969157f1f17b> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/
                                          Versions/A/Resources/libGIF.dylib
                                          0x9089e000 - 0x908a5ffe libbsm.dylib ??? (???)
                                          <d25c63378a5029648ffd4b4669be31bf> /usr/lib/libbsm.dylib
                                          0x908a6000 - 0x908d1fe7 libauto.dylib ??? (???)
                                          <42d8422dc23a18071869fdf7b5d8fab5> /usr/lib/libauto.dylib
                                          0x908e4000 - 0x908e4ffb com.apple.installserver.framework 1.0 (8) /
                                          System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/InstallServer.framework/Versions/A/
                                          InstallServer
                                          0x908e5000 - 0x90ab3fff com.apple.security 5.0.4 (34102)
                                          <f01d6cbd6a0f24f6c13952ed448e77d6> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          Security.framework/Versions/A/Security
                                          0x90af1000 - 0x90b0ffff libresolv.9.dylib ??? (???)
                                          <0629b6dcd71f4aac6a891cbe26253e85> /usr/lib/libresolv.9.dylib
                                          0x90b20000 - 0x90b20ff8 com.apple.ApplicationServices 34 (34)
                                          <8f910fa65f01d401ad8d04cc933cf887> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/ApplicationServices
                                          0x90b21000 - 0x90b5fff7 libGLImage.dylib ??? (???)
                                          <093b1b698ca93a0380f5fa262459ea28> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGLImage.dylib
                                          0x90bab000 - 0x90ce3ff7 libicucore.A.dylib ??? (???)
                                          <5031226ea28b371d8dfdbb32acfb48b5> /usr/lib/libicucore.A.dylib
                                          0x90d1e000 - 0x913bafff com.apple.CoreGraphics 1.351.31 (???)
                                          <c97a42498636b2596764e48669f98e00> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/
                                          CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/CoreGraphics
                                          0x913bb000 - 0x913bbfff com.apple.Carbon 136 (136)
                                          <98a5e3bc0c4fa44bbb09713bb88707fe> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Carbon
                                          0x913bc000 - 0x913e9feb libvDSP.dylib ??? (???)
                                          <b232c018ddd040ec4e2c2af632dd497f> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          Accelerate.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/vecLib.framework/Versions/A/
                                          libvDSP.dylib
                                          0x913ea000 - 0x91464ff8 com.apple.print.framework.PrintCore 5.5.3
                                          (245.3) <222dade7b33b99708b8c09d1303f93fc> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/
                                          PrintCore.framework/Versions/A/PrintCore
                                          0x915c2000 - 0x91612ff7 com.apple.HIServices 1.7.0 (???)
                                          <f7e78891a6d08265c83dca8e378be1ea> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/
                                          HIServices.framework/Versions/A/HIServices
                                          0x91613000 - 0x916f8ff3 com.apple.CoreData 100.1 (186)
                                          <8e28162ef2288692615b52acc01f8b54> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          CoreData.framework/Versions/A/CoreData
                                          0x916f9000 - 0x91704fe7 libCSync.A.dylib ??? (???)
                                          <8011fc1963cebdde0c6f101dbee5afd7> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/
                                          CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libCSync.A.dylib
                                          0x91705000 - 0x91724ffa libJPEG.dylib ??? (???)
                                          <0cfb80109d624beb9ceb3c43b6c5ec10> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/
                                          Versions/A/Resources/libJPEG.dylib
                                          0x91744000 - 0x91752ffd libz.1.dylib ??? (???)
                                          <5ddd8539ae2ebfd8e7cc1c57525385c7> /usr/lib/libz.1.dylib
                                          0x91753000 - 0x91782fe3 com.apple.AE 402.2 (402.2)
                                          <e01596187e91af5d48653920017b8c8e> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/AE.framework/Versions/A/AE
                                          0x91784000 - 0x91794fff com.apple.speech.synthesis.framework 3.7.1
                                          (3.7.1) <06d8fc0307314f8ffc16f206ad3dbf44> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/
                                          SpeechSynthesis.framework/Versions/A/SpeechSynthesis
                                          0x91965000 - 0x91a97fff com.apple.CoreFoundation 6.5.3 (476.14)
                                          <7ef7f5db09ff6dd0135a6165872803cc> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/CoreFoundation
                                          0x91a98000 - 0x91aaefe7 com.apple.CoreVideo 1.5.1 (1.5.1)
                                          <ed7bb95fb94817ea3212090aac5c65f3> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          CoreVideo.framework/Versions/A/CoreVideo
                                          0x91ab4000 - 0x91af6fef com.apple.NavigationServices 3.5.2 (163)
                                          <91844980804067b07a0b6124310d3f31> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/NavigationServices.framework/
                                          Versions/A/NavigationServices
                                          0x91b1f000 - 0x91b47ff7 com.apple.shortcut 1 (1.0)
                                          <057783867138902b52bc0941fedb74d1> /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/
                                          Shortcut.framework/Versions/A/Shortcut
                                          0x91b48000 - 0x91b4ffe9 libgcc_s.1.dylib ??? (???)
                                          <f53c808e87d1184c0f9df63aef53ce0b> /usr/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib
                                          0x91b50000 - 0x91c96ff7 com.apple.ImageIO.framework 2.0.2 (2.0.2)
                                          <77dfee73f4c0d230425a5151ee0bce05> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/
                                          Versions/A/ImageIO
                                          0x91e3d000 - 0x91e99ff7 com.apple.htmlrendering 68 (1.1.3)
                                          <fe87a9dede38db00e6c8949942c6bd4f> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HTMLRendering.framework/
                                          Versions/A/HTMLRendering
                                          0x922d2000 - 0x92365ff3 com.apple.ApplicationServices.ATS 3.3 (???)
                                          <064eb6d96417afa38a80b1735c4113aa> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ATS.framework/
                                          Versions/A/ATS
                                          0x92366000 - 0x92431fff com.apple.ColorSync 4.5.0 (4.5.0) /System/
                                          Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/
                                          ColorSync.framework/Versions/A/ColorSync
                                          0x92432000 - 0x92434ff5 libRadiance.dylib ??? (???)
                                          <20eadb285da83df96c795c2c5fa20590> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/
                                          Versions/A/Resources/libRadiance.dylib
                                          0x9249c000 - 0x92518feb com.apple.audio.CoreAudio 3.1.0 (3.1)
                                          <70bb7c657061631491029a61babe0b26> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          CoreAudio.framework/Versions/A/CoreAudio
                                          0x925e3000 - 0x92707fe3 com.apple.audio.toolbox.AudioToolbox 1.5.1
                                          (1.5.1) /System/Library/Frameworks/AudioToolbox.framework/Versions/A/
                                          AudioToolbox
                                          0x92869000 - 0x928a0fff com.apple.SystemConfiguration 1.9.2 (1.9.2)
                                          <8b26ebf26a009a098484f1ed01ec499c> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          SystemConfiguration.framework/Versions/A/SystemConfiguration
                                          0x928a1000 - 0x928dbfff com.apple.coreui 1.1 (61) /System/Library/
                                          PrivateFrameworks/CoreUI.framework/Versions/A/CoreUI
                                          0x928dc000 - 0x9298effb libcrypto.0.9.7.dylib ??? (???)
                                          <330b0e48e67faffc8c22dfc069ca7a47> /usr/lib/libcrypto.0.9.7.dylib
                                          0x9298f000 - 0x92a49fe3 com.apple.CoreServices.OSServices 226.5
                                          (226.5) <7e10d25c615a39fe1ab4d48e24a3b555> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/OSServices.framework/
                                          Versions/A/OSServices
                                          0x92a4a000 - 0x92d24ff3 com.apple.CoreServices.CarbonCore 786.4
                                          (786.4) <059c4803a7a95e3c1a95a332baeb1edf> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CarbonCore.framework/
                                          Versions/A/CarbonCore
                                          0x92d25000 - 0x92d7fff7 com.apple.CoreText 2.0.2 (???)
                                          <9fde11f84a72e890bbf2aa8b0b13b79a> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreText.framework/
                                          Versions/A/CoreText
                                          0x92d80000 - 0x92d88fff com.apple.DiskArbitration 2.2.1 (2.2.1)
                                          <75b0c8d8940a8a27816961dddcac8e0f> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          DiskArbitration.framework/Versions/A/DiskArbitration
                                          0x92d89000 - 0x92e15ff7 com.apple.LaunchServices 289.2 (289.2)
                                          <3577886e3a6d56ee3949850c4fde76c9> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/
                                          Versions/A/LaunchServices
                                          0x9308f000 - 0x93156ff2 com.apple.vImage 3.0 (3.0) /System/Library/
                                          Frameworks/Accelerate.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/vImage.framework/
                                          Versions/A/vImage
                                          0x931a2000 - 0x931a2ffa com.apple.CoreServices 32 (32)
                                          <2fcc8f3bd5bbfc000b476cad8e6a3dd2> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/CoreServices
                                          0x931a3000 - 0x93271ff3 com.apple.JavaScriptCore 5525.18 (5525.18)
                                          <672d1c7f16a4300addabeff4830f5024> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          JavaScriptCore.framework/Versions/A/JavaScriptCore
                                          0x9327a000 - 0x93283fff com.apple.speech.recognition.framework 3.7.24
                                          (3.7.24) <d3180f9edbd9a5e6f283d6156aa3c602> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/SpeechRecognition.framework/
                                          Versions/A/SpeechRecognition
                                          0x93284000 - 0x932e1ffb libstdc++.6.dylib ??? (???)
                                          <04b812dcec670daa8b7d2852ab14be60> /usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib
                                          0x9349e000 - 0x934a3fff com.apple.CommonPanels 1.2.4 (85)
                                          <ea0665f57cd267609466ed8b2b20e893> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CommonPanels.framework/Versions/
                                          A/CommonPanels
                                          0x934e5000 - 0x9356cff7 libsqlite3.0.dylib ??? (???)
                                          <6978bbcca4277d6ae9f042beff643f7d> /usr/lib/libsqlite3.0.dylib
                                          0x9356d000 - 0x935aefe7 libRIP.A.dylib ??? (???)
                                          <c8d988d3880d7268468112c64c626d86> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/
                                          CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libRIP.A.dylib
                                          0x936b3000 - 0x936bffe7 com.apple.opengl 1.5.6 (1.5.6)
                                          <125de77ea2434a91364e79a0905a7771> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/OpenGL
                                          0x936c0000 - 0x937a1ff7 libxml2.2.dylib ??? (???)
                                          <1baef3d4972ee789d8fa6c1fa44da45c> /usr/lib/libxml2.2.dylib
                                          0x937a2000 - 0x93c75ffe libGLProgrammability.dylib ??? (???)
                                          <475db64244e011cd8811e076035b2632> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGLProgrammability.dylib
                                          0x93c76000 - 0x93c76ffd com.apple.Accelerate 1.4.2 (Accelerate
                                          1.4.2) /System/Library/Frameworks/Accelerate.framework/Versions/A/
                                          Accelerate
                                          0x93cb6000 - 0x93cd6ff2 libGL.dylib ??? (???) /System/Library/
                                          Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGL.dylib
                                          0x93cd7000 - 0x93d30ff7 libGLU.dylib ??? (???) /System/Library/
                                          Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGLU.dylib
                                          0x93d31000 - 0x93db0ff5 com.apple.SearchKit 1.2.0 (1.2.0)
                                          <277b460da86bc222785159fe77e2e2ed> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/SearchKit.framework/
                                          Versions/A/SearchKit
                                          0x93ec4000 - 0x93f4ffff com.apple.framework.IOKit 1.5.1 (???)
                                          <60cfc4b175c4ef60bb8e9036716a29f4> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          IOKit.framework/Versions/A/IOKit
                                          0x93f50000 - 0x93ff7feb com.apple.QD 3.11.52 (???)
                                          <c72bd7bd2ce12694c3640a731d1ad878> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/QD.framework/
                                          Versions/A/QD
                                          0x93ff8000 - 0x9401cfff libxslt.1.dylib ??? (???)
                                          <4933ddc7f6618743197aadc85b33b5ab> /usr/lib/libxslt.1.dylib
                                          0x9401d000 - 0x94021fff libmathCommon.A.dylib ??? (???) /usr/lib/
                                          system/libmathCommon.A.dylib
                                          0x94022000 - 0x94022ffc com.apple.audio.units.AudioUnit 1.5 (1.5) /
                                          System/Library/Frameworks/AudioUnit.framework/Versions/A/AudioUnit
                                          0x94023000 - 0x940e0fff com.apple.WebKit 5525.18 (5525.18)
                                          <7e41e38368974ed048c2f027a961dbd4> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          WebKit.framework/Versions/A/WebKit
                                          0x940e1000 - 0x941c0fff libobjc.A.dylib ??? (???)
                                          <a53206274b6c2d42691f677863f379ae> /usr/lib/libobjc.A.dylib
                                          0x941c7000 - 0x94206fef libTIFF.dylib ??? (???)
                                          <6d0f80e9d4d81f3f64c876aca005bd53> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/
                                          Versions/A/Resources/libTIFF.dylib
                                          0x9428e000 - 0x948defff com.apple.WebCore 5525.18.1 (5525.18.1)
                                          <9fcf69305c5b48dd8a5cb77107f66c7a> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          WebKit.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/WebCore.framework/Versions/A/
                                          WebCore
                                          0x948e0000 - 0x948f6fff com.apple.DictionaryServices 1.0.0 (1.0.0)
                                          <ad0aa0252e3323d182e17f50defe56fc> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/
                                          DictionaryServices.framework/Versions/A/DictionaryServices
                                          0x948f7000 - 0x9490bff3 com.apple.ImageCapture 4.0 (5.0.0) /System/
                                          Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/
                                          ImageCapture.framework/Versions/A/ImageCapture
                                          0x9490c000 - 0x94916feb com.apple.audio.SoundManager 3.9.2 (3.9.2)
                                          <0f2ba6e891d3761212cf5a5e6134d683> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CarbonSound.framework/Versions/
                                          A/CarbonSound
                                          0x9491c000 - 0x94c23ff7 com.apple.HIToolbox 1.5.3 (???)
                                          <e36f5c553e5a32f64b7eb458dadadc71> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/
                                          HIToolbox
                                          0x94c24000 - 0x94cd4fff edu.mit.Kerberos 6.0.12 (6.0.12)
                                          <1dc515ebe407292db8e603938c72d4e8> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          Kerberos.framework/Versions/A/Kerberos
                                          0x94cd5000 - 0x954d2fef com.apple.AppKit 6.5.3 (949.33)
                                          <84b236f43802f4c15011513d18efa101> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          AppKit.framework/Versions/C/AppKit
                                          0x96619000 - 0x96631fff com.apple.openscripting 1.2.6 (???)
                                          <b8e553df643f2aec68fa968b3b459b2b> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/OpenScripting.framework/
                                          Versions/A/OpenScripting
                                          0x96663000 - 0x96664ffc libffi.dylib ??? (???)
                                          <a3b573eb950ca583290f7b2b4c486d09> /usr/lib/libffi.dylib
                                          0x966d8000 - 0x96755fef libvMisc.dylib ??? (???) /System/Library/
                                          Frameworks/Accelerate.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/vecLib.framework/
                                          Versions/A/libvMisc.dylib
                                          0x96756000 - 0x9675cfff com.apple.print.framework.Print 218.0.2
                                          (220.1) <8bf7ef71216376d12fcd5ec17e43742c> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/Print.framework/Versions/A/Print
                                          0x9675d000 - 0x9675dff8 com.apple.Cocoa 6.5 (???)
                                          <e064f94d969ce25cb7de3cfb980c3249> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          Cocoa.framework/Versions/A/Cocoa
                                          0x9675e000 - 0x96af4fff com.apple.QuartzCore 1.5.3 (1.5.3)
                                          <1b65c05f89e81a499302fd63295b242d> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          QuartzCore.framework/Versions/A/QuartzCore
                                          0x96af5000 - 0x96c55ff3 libSystem.B.dylib ??? (???)
                                          <a12f397abf2285077b89bd726bff5b18> /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
                                          0x96c56000 - 0x96c61ff9 com.apple.helpdata 1.0 (14) /System/Library/
                                          PrivateFrameworks/HelpData.framework/Versions/A/HelpData
                                          0x96c97000 - 0x96c99fff com.apple.securityhi 3.0 (30817)
                                          <2b2854123fed609d1820d2779e2e0963> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/SecurityHI.framework/Versions/A/
                                          SecurityHI
                                          0x96c9a000 - 0x96d24fe3 com.apple.DesktopServices 1.4.6 (1.4.6)
                                          <94d1a28b351b7dff77becadab0967772> /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/
                                          DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/DesktopServicesPriv
                                          0x96d25000 - 0x96db8fff com.apple.ink.framework 101.3 (86)
                                          <bf3fa8927b4b8baae92381a976fd2079> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/Ink.framework/Versions/A/Ink
                                          0x96e5c000 - 0x96e5ffff com.apple.help 1.1 (36)
                                          <b507b08e484cb89033e9cf23062d77de> /System/Library/Frameworks/
                                          Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/Help.framework/Versions/A/Help
                                          0x96e60000 - 0x96e60ffd com.apple.Accelerate.vecLib 3.4.2 (vecLib
                                          3.4.2) /System/Library/Frameworks/Accelerate.framework/Versions/A/
                                          Frameworks/vecLib.framework/Versions/A/vecLib
                                          0x96ed4000 - 0x972e4fef libBLAS.dylib ??? (???) /System/Library/
                                          Frameworks/Accelerate.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/vecLib.framework/
                                          Versions/A/libBLAS.dylib
                                          0xba900000 - 0xba916fff libJapaneseConverter.dylib ??? (???)
                                          <7b0248c392848338f5d6ed093313eeef> /System/Library/CoreServices/
                                          Encodings/libJapaneseConverter.dylib
                                          0xc0000000 - 0xc0014fef
                                          +com.positivespinmedia.PSMTabBarControlFramework ??? (1.1) /Users/nico/
                                          src/vim/MacVim/src/MacVim/build/Release/MacVim.app/Contents/Frameworks/
                                          PSMTabBarControl.framework/Versions/A/PSMTabBarControl
                                          0xfffe8000 - 0xfffebfff libobjc.A.dylib ??? (???) /usr/lib/
                                          libobjc.A.dylib
                                          0xffff0000 - 0xffff1780 libSystem.B.dylib ??? (???) /usr/lib/
                                          libSystem.B.dylib

                                          Nico

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jul 14, 2008
                                            2008/7/14 Nico Weber <nicolasweber@...>:

                                            > MacVim just crashed on me after starting it with `mvim` after a
                                            > reboot. It's the version with the quickstart patch. It seems it's not
                                            > reproducible. Might be because I currently have two MacVim's with
                                            > bundle identifier org.vim.MacVim, but perhaps it's a real bug. Here's
                                            > the crash log:

                                            Ouch. Unfortunately the crash log is not very helpful so if you can
                                            come up with more information that would be great. By the way, when
                                            exactly did it crash? It sounds a bit like it crashed before MacVim
                                            had even opened properly, is that so?

                                            Thanks,

                                          • Nico Weber
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jul 14, 2008
                                              > Ouch. Unfortunately the crash log is not very helpful so if you can
                                              > come up with more information that would be great. By the way, when
                                              > exactly did it crash? It sounds a bit like it crashed before MacVim
                                              > had even opened properly, is that so?

                                              yes, it crashed before a window was visible on-screen. Coming up with
                                              more information is hard, because it's not reproducible.

                                              Nico

                                            • Nico Weber
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Jul 15, 2008
                                                > Ouch. Unfortunately the crash log is not very helpful so if you can
                                                > come up with more information that would be great. By the way, when
                                                > exactly did it crash? It sounds a bit like it crashed before MacVim
                                                > had even opened properly, is that so?

                                                Actually, there is some more information in Console.app:

                                                14.07.08 19:21:03 MacVim[486] MacVim(486,0xa0968fa0) malloc: ***
                                                mmap(size=3537432576) failed (error code=12)
                                                *** error: can't allocate region
                                                14.07.08 19:21:03 [0x0-0x30030].org.vim.MacVim[486]
                                                MacVim(486,0xa0968fa0) malloc: *** mmap(size=3537432576) failed (error
                                                code=12)
                                                14.07.08 19:21:03 [0x0-0x30030].org.vim.MacVim[486] *** error: can't
                                                allocate region
                                                14.07.08 19:21:03 [0x0-0x30030].org.vim.MacVim[486] *** set a
                                                breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
                                                14.07.08 19:21:08 ReportCrash[1203] Formulating crash report for
                                                process MacVim[486]
                                                14.07.08 19:21:09 Vim[489] Exception caught when processing command
                                                queue: "connection is invalid"
                                                14.07.08 19:21:09 Vim[488] Exception caught when processing command
                                                queue: "connection is invalid"
                                                14.07.08 19:21:10 ReportCrash[1203] Saved crashreport to /Users/nico/
                                                Library/Logs/CrashReporter/MacVim_2008-07-14-192103_Macintosh-3.crash
                                                using uid: 501 gid: 501, euid: 501 egid: 501

                                                I don't know if that helps, though.

                                                Nico

                                                Message 23 of 24 , Jul 15, 2008
                                                  2008/7/15 Nico Weber <nicolasweber@...>:

                                                  >> Ouch. Unfortunately the crash log is not very helpful so if you can
                                                  >> come up with more information that would be great. By the way, when
                                                  >> exactly did it crash? It sounds a bit like it crashed before MacVim
                                                  >> had even opened properly, is that so?
                                                  >
                                                  > Actually, there is some more information in Console.app:
                                                  >
                                                  > 14.07.08 19:21:03 MacVim[486] MacVim(486,0xa0968fa0) malloc: ***
                                                  > mmap(size=3537432576) failed (error code=12)
                                                  > *** error: can't allocate region
                                                  > *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
                                                  > 14.07.08 19:21:03 [0x0-0x30030].org.vim.MacVim[486]
                                                  > MacVim(486,0xa0968fa0) malloc: *** mmap(size=3537432576) failed (error
                                                  > code=12)
                                                  > 14.07.08 19:21:03 [0x0-0x30030].org.vim.MacVim[486] *** error: can't
                                                  > allocate region
                                                  > 14.07.08 19:21:03 [0x0-0x30030].org.vim.MacVim[486] *** set a
                                                  > breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
                                                  > 14.07.08 19:21:08 ReportCrash[1203] Formulating crash report for
                                                  > process MacVim[486]
                                                  > 14.07.08 19:21:09 Vim[489] Exception caught when processing command
                                                  > queue: "connection is invalid"
                                                  > 14.07.08 19:21:09 Vim[488] Exception caught when processing command
                                                  > queue: "connection is invalid"
                                                  > 14.07.08 19:21:10 ReportCrash[1203] Saved crashreport to /Users/nico/
                                                  > Library/Logs/CrashReporter/MacVim_2008-07-14-192103_Macintosh-3.crash
                                                  > using uid: 501 gid: 501, euid: 501 egid: 501
                                                  >
                                                  > I don't know if that helps, though.

                                                  From what I can tell it looks like its a call to -[NSString
                                                  initWithBytes:length:encoding:] is trying to allocate 3.3 GB of
                                                  memory, which maybe isn't such a good idea. I guess it may be an
                                                  uninitialized variable problem, or that some memory is getting
                                                  clobbered. It certainly gives me more of an idea as to what the
                                                  problem may be. Thanks!

                                                  Actually, it could very well also be that you had two MacVim's with
                                                  the same bundle identifier. Did you by any chance have the snapshot
                                                  running when you typed 'mvim' to start the MacVim with the
                                                  "quickstart" patch applied?

                                                • Nico Weber
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Jul 15, 2008
                                                    > Actually, it could very well also be that you had two MacVim's with
                                                    > the same bundle identifier. Did you by any chance have the snapshot
                                                    > running when you typed 'mvim' to start the MacVim with the
                                                    > "quickstart" patch applied?

                                                    I don't think so, because it was right after a reboot. I don't really
                                                    remember, though. `mvim` is supposed the latest official snapshot
                                                    anyways (so this makes it likely that the quickstart MacVim was
                                                    already running, for whatever reason, and the Vim instance started by
                                                    `mvim` connected to the running quickstart MacVim instead of opening
                                                    its own "official" MacVim instance). In conclusion: You can probably
                                                    ignore this crash.

                                                    Nico