Re: MacVim menu problem ("Buffers")

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 10, 2007

      Hi (Björn)!

      When running MacVim (r83 and earlier) on my MBP 15", the menu
      "Buffers" repeats 8 times (filling most of the menu bar). All are
      active and show the same content. If I add more menus, 7 "Buffers" are
      shown, then menus start pushing away the other to the right (leaving
      the 7 "Buffers").

      Does this happen every time you run MacVim, or is it an intermittent problem?  What happens if you open another window and Cmd-` back?

      Every time a new window is shown the main menu is cleared of all items (except the MacVim menu) and the menus in the newly shown window is used to populate the main menu.  If you are able to reproduce this bug and can run it through the debugger it would help me a lot (since I can't reproduce it).  The relevant code is inside [MMVimController updateMainMenu]...it would be good to know if only the main menu is bad ( i.e. has too many "Buffers" menus) or if the array 'mainMenuItems' (a member of MMVimController) is bad as well.

      /Björn

    • Niklas Lindström
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 10, 2007
        Hello!

        I have now exercised a little more discipline when testing. ;)

        It appears that I have a plugin which adds a "PopUp.Buffers" menu
        (which I have long forgotten and never use). This is the culprit,
        without question. To reproduce in a minimal setting, I move aside my
        .vimrc, .gvimrc and .vim files.

        In this setting, MacVim works, menus look fine. *But* I cannot open
        any new (os x) windows (thus this is another bug). Adding an empty
        .vimrc makes this (Cmd-N) work again.

        Now, to trigger the menu bug:

        :amenu PopUp.Buffers.Echo :echo<CR>

        Thus, the special "PopUp" menu is the culprit. The same thing happen
        with anything, e.g.:

        :amenu PopUp.Anything.Echo :echo<CR>

        That my multiple "Buffers" *seemed* to be the real "Buffers" repeated
        was thanks to the plugin, which did just that.. :]

        (Note that :amenu and :menu used with the "PopUp" both trigger the
        bug, but :menu adds fewer multiples. :))

        (Also note that adding regular custom menus works just fine, no menu bugs.)

        I hope this can be of help. For me, it's no longer an issue since I
        have removed that plugin (as I never used it).

        Thanks for your work on MacVim!

        Best regards,
        Niklas

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 10, 2007
          In this setting, MacVim works, menus look fine. *But* I cannot open
          any new (os x) windows (thus this is another bug). Adding an empty
          .vimrc makes this (Cmd-N) work again.

          Ok, thanks...I'll take a look at that.

          Now, to trigger the menu bug:

              :amenu PopUp.Buffers.Echo :echo<CR>

          Thus, the special "PopUp" menu is the culprit. The same thing happen
          with anything, e.g.:

              :amenu PopUp.Anything.Echo :echo<CR>

          Thanks a lot...I know what the problem is now.  The fix will be in the next snapshot.

          /Björn

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 10, 2007
            On 10/08/07, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
            In this setting, MacVim works, menus look fine. *But* I cannot open
            any new (os x) windows (thus this is another bug). Adding an empty
            .vimrc makes this (Cmd-N) work again.

            Ok, thanks...I'll take a look at that.

            The problem was that Cmd-N et al. were bound to commands with <CR> in them; when you start without .vimrc and .gvimrc, Vim will run with cpoptions containing '<' and 'C', which means bindings like that fail.

            I have updated the system gvimrc file, so the next snapshot of MacVim will work properly.  Thanks again for bringing this problem to my attention.

            /Björn