Re: New snapshot (r38) of MacVim

  • Jeremy Conlin
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 2, 2007
      On 8/2/07, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
      This is kind of funny...just after having written that long rant I sat down and did some work on MacVim only to realise the menus behave very oddly if there are no Vim windows open.  The best short-term solution was to...here it comes...make MacVim quit automatically when the last window closes.  :)

      So lets see if anybody has any objections as to why MacVim _shouldn't_ quit when the last window closes.  Like Robert says, the good side to this solution is that this is more familiar to Vim users from other platforms;  the bad side is that it is not standard Apple behaviour.  Which one do people think is the lesser evil here?

      IMHO, I think an app should close when its last window is close.  I realize this isn't very Mac like, but this is a soft rule.  There are many apps that quit when their last window is closed.  In short, I think its an old tradition that is dying.

      Jeremy

      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 3, 2007

        > It should do what the HIG says; ie stay open. Disable the menus if there's
        > no window. That way, I can hit Cmd-N to open a new vim window, and opening
        > files is slightly faster because the app is already loaded (atm, this is not
        > really true because each window spawns its own process, but in the long run
        > it might be).
        >
        > Nico

        another vote for following the HIG. i was under the impression that
        this project was to make a more Mac-like vim. there could always be a
        preference to quit the app when closing the last window.

        Yes, don't get me wrong here...the intentions are to make MacVim follow the HIG as much as is judged sensible (by me and whoever voices an opinion on this group).  I only violated the "stay-open" rule because I ran into a minor problem, and thought I'd ask for everybody's opinion on this issue.

        I will add a user default which controls whether MacVim should quit when the last window closes, and the default will follow the HIG.

        /Björn

      • Robert Hicks
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 3, 2007
          Nico Weber wrote:
          >> Yes, don't get me wrong here...the intentions are to make MacVim
          >> follow the HIG as much as is judged sensible (by me and whoever
          >> voices an opinion on this group). I only violated the "stay-open"
          >> rule because I ran into a minor problem, and thought I'd ask for
          >> everybody's opinion on this issue.
          >
          > Don't let your app be dictated by small implementation problems ;-)
          >
          >> I will add a user default which controls whether MacVim should quit
          >> when the last window closes, and the default will follow the HIG.
          >
          > Why even have an option? Hitting cmd-q is even quicker than :q, all
          > people using a mac know cmd-q, only very few people will change this
          > preference and it makes the code a tiny bit more complex :-P

          Maybe because I am used to doing :q on every other operating system?
          Make it play nice sure but lets not change expected behavior.

          Robert