Re: Problem with digraphs

  • Gregory Seidman
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 12, 2001
      Dany St-Amant sez:
      [...]
      } I'll first suggest you to use the MacOS X Carbon port
      } (it can run as a console vim too) available at

      Yow! It can run as console? How do you convince it to do so?

      [...]
      } Dany
      --Greg
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 12, 2001
        Gregory Seidman wrote:

        > Dany St-Amant sez:
        > [...]
        > } I'll first suggest you to use the MacOS X Carbon port
        > } (it can run as a console vim too) available at
        >
        > Yow! It can run as console? How do you convince it to do so?

        I am not sure which question you are asking, so I'll answer two.

        1. Vim has long been designed so that the same binary can run in a shell
        window or in its own window. This works on most UNIX-like systems, and it
        just took some work on the Mac OS X port to get it to work there.

        2. The binary is in Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim . So just type in a Terminal
        window

        % /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim

        HTH --Benji Fisher
      • Gregory Seidman
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 13, 2001
          Benji Fisher sez:
          } Gregory Seidman wrote:
          } >
          } > Dany St-Amant sez:
          } > [...]
          }
          } I am not sure which question you are asking, so I'll answer two.
          }
          } 1. Vim has long been designed so that the same binary can run in a shell
          } window or in its own window. This works on most UNIX-like systems, and it
          } just took some work on the Mac OS X port to get it to work there.

          I knew that it was designed to run as console or X11 GUI, and I have used
          it that way for a long time under Solaris.

          } 2. The binary is in Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim . So just type in a Terminal
          } window
          }
          } % /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim

          When I do that, it runs as an OS X app, not as a console app. Even when not
          running in a Terminal (i.e. logged in remotely) it still runs the OS X app.
          This is the version I downloaded from your iDisk, incidentally, though it
          may not be the latest you posted.

          } HTH --Benji Fisher
          --Greg
        • Bill Tschumy
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 13, 2001
            On Thursday, December 13, 2001, at 08:59 AM, Gregory Seidman wrote:
            > } 2. The binary is in Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim . So just type
            > in a Terminal
            > } window
            > }
            > } % /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim
            >
            > When I do that, it runs as an OS X app, not as a console app. Even
            > when not
            > running in a Terminal (i.e. logged in remotely) it still runs the
            > OS X app.
            > This is the version I downloaded from your iDisk, incidentally,
            > though it
            > may not be the latest you posted.
            >
            > } HTH --Benji Fisher
            > --Greg

            When I do it, Vim does run in the terminal, but my Vim icon in the
            dock also starts bouncing. The GUI version doesn't launch and
            eventually the bouncing icon times out.
            --
            Bill Tschumy
            Otherwise -- Austin, TX
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 13, 2001
              Bill Tschumy wrote:

              > On Thursday, December 13, 2001, at 08:59 AM, Gregory Seidman wrote:
              > > } 2. The binary is in Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim . So just type
              > > in a Terminal
              > > } window
              > > }
              > > } % /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim
              > >
              > > When I do that, it runs as an OS X app, not as a console app. Even
              > > when not
              > > running in a Terminal (i.e. logged in remotely) it still runs the
              > > OS X app.
              > > This is the version I downloaded from your iDisk, incidentally,
              > > though it
              > > may not be the latest you posted.
              > >
              > > } HTH --Benji Fisher
              > > --Greg
              >
              > When I do it, Vim does run in the terminal, but my Vim icon in the
              > dock also starts bouncing. The GUI version doesn't launch and
              > eventually the bouncing icon times out.

              The first version I posted would not run in a Terminal window, so my
              guess is that if you get the most recent version, it will work for you.

              http://homepage.mac.com/fisherbb

              --Benji Fisher