Re: [ANN] MacVim.app Google code page

  • Ryan Phillips
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 27 11:12 PM
      "bjorn.winckler" <bjorn.winckler@...> said:

      > I am happy to announce MacVim.app - a new port of Vim to Mac OS X.
      > This is a project I have been working on for almost a year now and it
      > is finally in such a state that I believe it might be usable for
      > others than just me.
      >
      > The goal of MacVim is to look better and integrate more seamlessly
      > with the Mac than the existing Carbon port of Vim. Its main features
      > are:
      >
      > - Multiple windows (Expos? works with the MacVim windows)
      > - Safari-style tabs (using PSMTabBarControl from Positive Spin Media)
      > - Toolbar
      >
      > I will be adding things as time goes on, but for now I would like some
      > people to test it out and focus on getting rid of all bugs that are
      > sure to be discovered.

      Bjorn,

      Excellent work. Is the main editor window double buffered?

      Thank you,
      Ryan

    • Nico Weber
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 27 11:16 PM
        > Excellent work. Is the main editor window double buffered?

        The main editor window seems to be the default Cocoa text component
        which is double buffered (like everything in OS X (if you don't use
        legacy apis ;-) )).

      • Nico Weber
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 28 5:08 PM
          > Memory usage is something that is on my TODO list; I expect there
          > to be quite a bit of memory leaking at this point in time.

          So I decided to delete MacVim and wait for the next version (too
          buggy for usage, and not enough time to hack on it), and couldn't
          delete it because it was still "in use" . Turns out there were still
          two Vim processes running MacVim had started when I tested it a few
          days ago. So you're leaking processes as well :-P

          Bye,
          Nico

          ps: I don't like the name MacVim (mainly because the mac version of
          vim is hosted at macvim.org, so the current version is already
          associated with Mac Vim (at least for me). What about AquaVim? ;-)

          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 29 2:39 AM
            > Memory usage is something that is on my TODO list;  I expect there
            > to be quite a bit of memory leaking at this point in time.

            So I decided to delete MacVim and wait for the next version (too
            buggy for usage, and not enough time to hack on it), and couldn't
            delete it because it was still "in use" . Turns out there were still
            two Vim processes running MacVim had started when I tested it a few
            days ago. So you're leaking processes as well :-P

            Haha...you do find all the nasty problems, but it is a _snapshot_ after all. :)
            I fixed this issue and some of the memory leaks last night, and will probably upload a new snapshot tonight.

            ps: I don't like the name MacVim (mainly because the mac version of
            vim is hosted at macvim.org, so the current version is already
            associated with Mac Vim (at least for me). What about AquaVim? ;-)

            Coming up with a name is hard, but changing the name is a lot or work, and I have already set up the googlepage so I will not change it now.  If I get enough complaints about the name, I will change it before releasing a proper (non-snapshot) version.  However, I like the name and don't really mind if there is a macvim.org...I envision that a version of MacVim will be available there one day.  Once I iron out the serious bugs in MacVim and get most of the features in there I hope there will be no reason to use the old Carbon version anymore.  And if it never reach that stage, well, we'll see what happens.

            /Björn