Problem with digraphs

  • Philippe de Rochambeau
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 12, 2001
      Hello,

      I am using vim 6.0 on MacOSX 10.1, available from
      http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/welcome.html, and am having
      problems with the e acute diagraph. If I type control-k e', I get
      nothing in the editor window, but if I open the resulting text file in
      BBEdit, an ANSI e acute (capital e with a grave accent) is there. Is
      this a bug?

      Many thanks.

      Philippe de Rochambeau
    • Dany St-Amant
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 12, 2001
        Le Mercredi 12 décembre 2001, à 03:30 , Philippe de Rochambeau a écrit :

        > Hello,
        >
        > I am using vim 6.0 on MacOSX 10.1, available from
        > http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/welcome.html, and am having
        > problems with the e acute diagraph. If I type control-k e', I get
        > nothing in the editor window, but if I open the resulting text file in
        > BBEdit, an ANSI e acute (capital e with a grave accent) is there. Is
        > this a bug?
        >
        > Many thanks.

        Hi,

        I'll first suggest you to use the MacOS X Carbon port
        (it can run as a console vim too) available at

        http://homepage.mac.com/fisherbb

        The problem seen is related to file encoding (which haven't yet
        been fully tested on the MacOS ports.) Terminal.App is defaulting
        the encoding to UTF-8, if you change it in the preferences to
        MacOS Roman, your problem should disappear.

        Dany
      • Gregory Seidman
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 12, 2001
          Dany St-Amant sez:
          [...]
          } I'll first suggest you to use the MacOS X Carbon port
          } (it can run as a console vim too) available at

          Yow! It can run as console? How do you convince it to do so?

          [...]
          } Dany
          --Greg
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 12, 2001
            Gregory Seidman wrote:

            > Dany St-Amant sez:
            > [...]
            > } I'll first suggest you to use the MacOS X Carbon port
            > } (it can run as a console vim too) available at
            >
            > Yow! It can run as console? How do you convince it to do so?

            I am not sure which question you are asking, so I'll answer two.

            1. Vim has long been designed so that the same binary can run in a shell
            window or in its own window. This works on most UNIX-like systems, and it
            just took some work on the Mac OS X port to get it to work there.

            2. The binary is in Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim . So just type in a Terminal
            window

            % /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim

            HTH --Benji Fisher
          • Gregory Seidman
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 13, 2001
              Benji Fisher sez:
              } Gregory Seidman wrote:
              } >
              } > Dany St-Amant sez:
              } > [...]
              }
              } I am not sure which question you are asking, so I'll answer two.
              }
              } 1. Vim has long been designed so that the same binary can run in a shell
              } window or in its own window. This works on most UNIX-like systems, and it
              } just took some work on the Mac OS X port to get it to work there.

              I knew that it was designed to run as console or X11 GUI, and I have used
              it that way for a long time under Solaris.

              } 2. The binary is in Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim . So just type in a Terminal
              } window
              }
              } % /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim

              When I do that, it runs as an OS X app, not as a console app. Even when not
              running in a Terminal (i.e. logged in remotely) it still runs the OS X app.
              This is the version I downloaded from your iDisk, incidentally, though it
              may not be the latest you posted.

              } HTH --Benji Fisher
              --Greg
            • Bill Tschumy
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 13, 2001
                On Thursday, December 13, 2001, at 08:59 AM, Gregory Seidman wrote:
                > } 2. The binary is in Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim . So just type
                > in a Terminal
                > } window
                > }
                > } % /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim
                >
                > When I do that, it runs as an OS X app, not as a console app. Even
                > when not
                > running in a Terminal (i.e. logged in remotely) it still runs the
                > OS X app.
                > This is the version I downloaded from your iDisk, incidentally,
                > though it
                > may not be the latest you posted.
                >
                > } HTH --Benji Fisher
                > --Greg

                When I do it, Vim does run in the terminal, but my Vim icon in the
                dock also starts bouncing. The GUI version doesn't launch and
                eventually the bouncing icon times out.
                --
                Bill Tschumy
                Otherwise -- Austin, TX
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 13, 2001
                  Bill Tschumy wrote:

                  > On Thursday, December 13, 2001, at 08:59 AM, Gregory Seidman wrote:
                  > > } 2. The binary is in Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim . So just type
                  > > in a Terminal
                  > > } window
                  > > }
                  > > } % /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim
                  > >
                  > > When I do that, it runs as an OS X app, not as a console app. Even
                  > > when not
                  > > running in a Terminal (i.e. logged in remotely) it still runs the
                  > > OS X app.
                  > > This is the version I downloaded from your iDisk, incidentally,
                  > > though it
                  > > may not be the latest you posted.
                  > >
                  > > } HTH --Benji Fisher
                  > > --Greg
                  >
                  > When I do it, Vim does run in the terminal, but my Vim icon in the
                  > dock also starts bouncing. The GUI version doesn't launch and
                  > eventually the bouncing icon times out.

                  The first version I posted would not run in a Terminal window, so my
                  guess is that if you get the most recent version, it will work for you.

                  http://homepage.mac.com/fisherbb

                  --Benji Fisher