Re: [ANN] MacVim.app Google code page

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 26, 2007
      Niklas Linström wrote:

      > As for tabs. Your solution looks very good indeed, and I like that
      > they are draggable. I really like Nico Webers' slide drawer
      > implementation *a lot* as well though. If at all possible, how about
      > something along the lines of a 'tabmode' option to control this? I
      > guess that's not in the near future, but just to suggest it.

      I think we can discuss about the tab label implementation forever. It's
      a personal choice. Would it be possible to make this an option somehow?
      Or would that be too complicated, implementing both. It could be an
      option that is only used the moment the GUI is started and can't be
      changed later.

      --
      You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be
      misquoted, then used against you.

    • Nico Weber
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 26, 2007
        > I think we can discuss about the tab label implementation forever.
        > It's
        > a personal choice. Would it be possible to make this an option
        > somehow?
        > Or would that be too complicated, implementing both. It could be an
        > option that is only used the moment the GUI is started and can't be
        > changed later.

        IMO we should have a "taboverflow" option with the values "nodrawer",
        "draweronoverflow" and "alwaysdrawer" (well, or similar), that
        controls which tab style is used based on how many tabs are currently
        open. This should be changable at runtime.

        But as Bjorn said, not now. I guess I'd have to reimplement the
        drawer in Cocoa anyways.

        Nico

        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 27, 2007
          > > I think we can discuss about the tab label implementation forever.
          > > It's
          > > a personal choice. Would it be possible to make this an option
          > > somehow?
          > > Or would that be too complicated, implementing both. It could be an
          > > option that is only used the moment the GUI is started and can't be
          > > changed later.
          >
          > IMO we should have a "taboverflow" option with the values "nodrawer",
          > "draweronoverflow" and "alwaysdrawer" (well, or similar), that
          > controls which tab style is used based on how many tabs are currently
          > open. This should be changable at runtime.

          I would say having both tabs & drawer is quite feasible, but to make
          it "nice" would require some work. Adding a hack that will let you
          choose between the two would not take me that long (granted that Nico
          would help me transfer his existing code to MacVim), but do you judge
          this feature important enough for such "dirty" work at the moment?

          The "right" way (this is a guess...I haven't thought about it that
          much) would be to make Nico's drawer a delegate of the NSTabView (this
          is what PSMTabBarControl does) and handle things from there. This
          would require almost no change to the MacVim code (!) but I think it
          would be a bit of an effort. If you have the time and inclination
          Nico, then check out PSMTabBarControl (it's under MacVim/
          PSMTabBarControl) and see if you can figure out how it deals with the
          NSTabView delegate methods. (Note that there is always an 'invisible'
          NSTabView present which holds all the NSTabViewItems, PSMTabBarControl
          simply looks at this to decide which tabs to draw.) With this
          approach it would be simple to add options to let you choose if/how/
          when you want the drawer or the tabs---just change whether
          PSMTabBarControl or the drawer is the delegate of the NSTabView, and
          hide one or the other (but it would be unfeasible to have _both_
          visible at the same time).

          There are some much more pressing user interface issues I would rather
          focus my time on at the moment though (I will start a discussion on
          this soon), so unless people find this to be a make or break issue, I
          will let it rest until further notice.

          /Björn

        • Ryan Phillips
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 27, 2007
            "bjorn.winckler" <bjorn.winckler@...> said:

            > I am happy to announce MacVim.app - a new port of Vim to Mac OS X.
            > This is a project I have been working on for almost a year now and it
            > is finally in such a state that I believe it might be usable for
            > others than just me.
            >
            > The goal of MacVim is to look better and integrate more seamlessly
            > with the Mac than the existing Carbon port of Vim. Its main features
            > are:
            >
            > - Multiple windows (Expos? works with the MacVim windows)
            > - Safari-style tabs (using PSMTabBarControl from Positive Spin Media)
            > - Toolbar
            >
            > I will be adding things as time goes on, but for now I would like some
            > people to test it out and focus on getting rid of all bugs that are
            > sure to be discovered.

            Bjorn,

            Excellent work. Is the main editor window double buffered?

            Thank you,
            Ryan

          • Nico Weber
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 27, 2007
              > Excellent work. Is the main editor window double buffered?

              The main editor window seems to be the default Cocoa text component
              which is double buffered (like everything in OS X (if you don't use
              legacy apis ;-) )).

            • Nico Weber
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 28, 2007
                > Memory usage is something that is on my TODO list; I expect there
                > to be quite a bit of memory leaking at this point in time.

                So I decided to delete MacVim and wait for the next version (too
                buggy for usage, and not enough time to hack on it), and couldn't
                delete it because it was still "in use" . Turns out there were still
                two Vim processes running MacVim had started when I tested it a few
                days ago. So you're leaking processes as well :-P

                Bye,
                Nico

                ps: I don't like the name MacVim (mainly because the mac version of
                vim is hosted at macvim.org, so the current version is already
                associated with Mac Vim (at least for me). What about AquaVim? ;-)

                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 29, 2007
                  > Memory usage is something that is on my TODO list;  I expect there
                  > to be quite a bit of memory leaking at this point in time.

                  So I decided to delete MacVim and wait for the next version (too
                  buggy for usage, and not enough time to hack on it), and couldn't
                  delete it because it was still "in use" . Turns out there were still
                  two Vim processes running MacVim had started when I tested it a few
                  days ago. So you're leaking processes as well :-P

                  Haha...you do find all the nasty problems, but it is a _snapshot_ after all. :)
                  I fixed this issue and some of the memory leaks last night, and will probably upload a new snapshot tonight.

                  ps: I don't like the name MacVim (mainly because the mac version of
                  vim is hosted at macvim.org, so the current version is already
                  associated with Mac Vim (at least for me). What about AquaVim? ;-)

                  Coming up with a name is hard, but changing the name is a lot or work, and I have already set up the googlepage so I will not change it now.  If I get enough complaints about the name, I will change it before releasing a proper (non-snapshot) version.  However, I like the name and don't really mind if there is a macvim.org...I envision that a version of MacVim will be available there one day.  Once I iron out the serious bugs in MacVim and get most of the features in there I hope there will be no reason to use the old Carbon version anymore.  And if it never reach that stage, well, we'll see what happens.

                  /Björn