Re: 7.1a.001 OSX colour scheme errors?

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Message 1 of 12 , May 9, 2007
      Michael Wookey wrote:

      > I am running 7.1a.001 on OSX and have just noticed the following from
      > console vim (running in Terminal.app and also occurs in iTerm.app).
      >
      > If I change the colour scheme I receive a lot of error output. For
      > example:
      >
      > :colorscheme desert
      >
      > Results in:
      >
      > Error detected while processing
      > /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim/runtime/colors/desert.vim:
      > line 27:
      > E254: Cannot allocate color khaki
      > E254: Cannot allocate color slategrey
      > line 36:
      > E254: Cannot allocate color gold
      > line 37:
      > E254: Cannot allocate color tan
      >
      > Other colour schemes produce similar output. The error messages have
      > only appeared for me in console vim on OSX (10.4.9 PPC). They have not
      > appeared in the linux or win32 console vims of 7.1a.001. GVim's on each
      > of the platforms (OSX, linux, Win32) have worked fine.
      >
      > My console vim is symlinked as follows:
      >
      > $ ls -l `which vim`
      > lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 40 Feb 28 14:33 /usr/bin/vim ->
      > /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim
      >
      > These errors did not occur before 7.1a.001 and occurs on builds from CVS
      > and SVN. The errors still occur even with starting vim with:
      >
      > vim -u NONE
      >
      > Has anyone else noticed this?

      You apparently are missing the runtime/rgb.txt file. It's part of the
      extra archive. Perhaps you didn't unpack it correctly? You must have
      unpacked it, since it contains src/gui_mac.c. And you must not change
      the directory structure, otherwise Vim.app can't be generated correctly.

      --
      From "know your smileys":
      :-X My lips are sealed

    • Michael Wookey
      Message 2 of 12 , May 9, 2007
        > > Has anyone else noticed this?
        >
        > You apparently are missing the runtime/rgb.txt file. It's part of the
        > extra archive. Perhaps you didn't unpack it correctly? You must have
        > unpacked it, since it contains src/gui_mac.c. And you must not change
        > the directory structure, otherwise Vim.app can't be generated
        > correctly.

        I have the rgb.txt in my build tree. Its just that 'make install'
        doesn't copy it over when building Vim.App. See further on in this
        thread with the subject "[SOLVED] RE: 7.1a.001 OSX colour scheme
        errors?".

        Is it possible for you to change the Makefile to copy rgb.txt to
        $VIMRUNTIME during 'make install'?

        Thanks.
      • Bram Moolenaar
        Message 3 of 12 , May 10, 2007
          Michael Wookey wrote:

          > > > Has anyone else noticed this?
          > >
          > > You apparently are missing the runtime/rgb.txt file. It's part of the
          > > extra archive. Perhaps you didn't unpack it correctly? You must have
          > > unpacked it, since it contains src/gui_mac.c. And you must not change
          > > the directory structure, otherwise Vim.app can't be generated
          > > correctly.
          >
          > I have the rgb.txt in my build tree. Its just that 'make install'
          > doesn't copy it over when building Vim.App. See further on in this
          > thread with the subject "[SOLVED] RE: 7.1a.001 OSX colour scheme
          > errors?".
          >
          > Is it possible for you to change the Makefile to copy rgb.txt to
          > $VIMRUNTIME during 'make install'?

          OK, I was trying the Vim.app after building it. Then it uses a link to
          the runtime files, thus rgb.txt is there.

          I'll add a specific line to copy rgb.txt.

          --
          I AM THANKFUL...
          ...for the clothes that fit a little too snug because it

        • A.J.Mechelynck
          Message 4 of 12 , May 10, 2007
            Bram Moolenaar wrote:
            [...]
            > I'll add a specific line to copy rgb.txt.

            Just for the record, after reformatting the entries to a common format and
            sorting, a diff between my ~/.build/vim/vim71a/runtime/rgb.txt and my
            /usr/share/X11/rgb.txt shows no other difference than the header comment -- so
            I suppose copying it unconditionally oughtn't to harm the OSs where there
            already is an rgb.txt.

            Oh, and just for fun: I slapped together a syntax script for rgb.txt
            (attached). I use it with a zero-length ftplugin and a one-line detection
            autocommand in filetype.vim (which are not attached: the autocommand is: "au
            BufRead,BufNewFile rgb.txt setf rgb"); Bram, what do you think of it?

            Best regards,
            Tony.
          • Bram Moolenaar
            Message 5 of 12 , May 10, 2007
              Tony Mechelynck wrote:

              > Bram Moolenaar wrote:
              > [...]
              > > I'll add a specific line to copy rgb.txt.
              > >

              > Just for the record, after reformatting the entries to a common format and
              > sorting, a diff between my ~/.build/vim/vim71a/runtime/rgb.txt and my
              > /usr/share/X11/rgb.txt shows no other difference than the header comment -- so
              > I suppose copying it unconditionally oughtn't to harm the OSs where there
              > already is an rgb.txt.

              Unless someone has an enhanced rgb.txt...

              > Oh, and just for fun: I slapped together a syntax script for rgb.txt
              > (attached). I use it with a zero-length ftplugin and a one-line detection
              > autocommand in filetype.vim (which are not attached: the autocommand is: "au
              > BufRead,BufNewFile rgb.txt setf rgb"); Bram, what do you think of it?

              Looks good. But I'll include it later. Needs some testing first.

              --
              From "know your smileys":
              :-E Has major dental problems