RE: [SOLVED] RE: 7.1a.001 OSX colour scheme errors?

  • Michael Wookey
    Message 1 of 12 , May 9, 2007
      > Michael Wookey wrote:
      > >> Hm... Maybe the console version checks the values of the guibg=
      > guifg=
      > >> settings even though it doesn't use them. Try dropping the attached
      > >> file into your $VIMRUNTIME folder and see if it makes any
      > difference.
      > >>
      > >> (See ":help rgb.txt" for an explanation of how Vim uses it. IIUC,
      on
      > >> X11- and Windows-based systems, those colour names' RGB values can
      > be
      > >> obtained by querying the OS.)
      > >
      > > Ahh.. found it. 'make install' wasn't copying the 'rgb.txt' to
      > > $VIMRUNTIME.
      > >
      > > It seems that this is a bug because even on the linux machine, 'make
      > > install' doesn't copy rgb.txt either. However on the linux machine
      > > there are existing copies of rgb.txt in places like /etc/x11/rgb.txt
      > > (Ubuntu 7.04) which vim must have picked up which is why it works.
      >
      > The help mentions /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/ ; I found mine in /usr/share/X11
      > (on
      > SuSE 10.2)... Apparently there is no single fixed location for that
      > file. I
      > wonder what the rule is? Any app using colour names should be able to
      > find it
      > after all.

      On Ubuntu 7.04, the following are all symlinked to /etc/X11/rgb.txt

      /usr/share/X11/rgb.txt
      /usr/lib/X11/rgb.txt

      On OSX, there is no rgb.txt on the system at all unless X11 is installed
      (which it is not by default). This is why it may be a good thing to
      include rgb.txt for the OSX vim builds.
    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 12 , May 9, 2007
        Michael Wookey wrote:

        > I am running 7.1a.001 on OSX and have just noticed the following from
        > console vim (running in Terminal.app and also occurs in iTerm.app).
        >
        > If I change the colour scheme I receive a lot of error output. For
        > example:
        >
        > :colorscheme desert
        >
        > Results in:
        >
        > Error detected while processing
        > /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim/runtime/colors/desert.vim:
        > line 27:
        > E254: Cannot allocate color khaki
        > E254: Cannot allocate color slategrey
        > line 36:
        > E254: Cannot allocate color gold
        > line 37:
        > E254: Cannot allocate color tan
        >
        > Other colour schemes produce similar output. The error messages have
        > only appeared for me in console vim on OSX (10.4.9 PPC). They have not
        > appeared in the linux or win32 console vims of 7.1a.001. GVim's on each
        > of the platforms (OSX, linux, Win32) have worked fine.
        >
        > My console vim is symlinked as follows:
        >
        > $ ls -l `which vim`
        > lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 40 Feb 28 14:33 /usr/bin/vim ->
        > /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim
        >
        > These errors did not occur before 7.1a.001 and occurs on builds from CVS
        > and SVN. The errors still occur even with starting vim with:
        >
        > vim -u NONE
        >
        > Has anyone else noticed this?

        You apparently are missing the runtime/rgb.txt file. It's part of the
        extra archive. Perhaps you didn't unpack it correctly? You must have
        unpacked it, since it contains src/gui_mac.c. And you must not change
        the directory structure, otherwise Vim.app can't be generated correctly.

        --
        From "know your smileys":
        :-X My lips are sealed

      • Michael Wookey
        Message 3 of 12 , May 9, 2007
          > > Has anyone else noticed this?
          >
          > You apparently are missing the runtime/rgb.txt file. It's part of the
          > extra archive. Perhaps you didn't unpack it correctly? You must have
          > unpacked it, since it contains src/gui_mac.c. And you must not change
          > the directory structure, otherwise Vim.app can't be generated
          > correctly.

          I have the rgb.txt in my build tree. Its just that 'make install'
          doesn't copy it over when building Vim.App. See further on in this
          thread with the subject "[SOLVED] RE: 7.1a.001 OSX colour scheme
          errors?".

          Is it possible for you to change the Makefile to copy rgb.txt to
          $VIMRUNTIME during 'make install'?

          Thanks.
        • Bram Moolenaar
          Message 4 of 12 , May 10, 2007
            Michael Wookey wrote:

            > > > Has anyone else noticed this?
            > >
            > > You apparently are missing the runtime/rgb.txt file. It's part of the
            > > extra archive. Perhaps you didn't unpack it correctly? You must have
            > > unpacked it, since it contains src/gui_mac.c. And you must not change
            > > the directory structure, otherwise Vim.app can't be generated
            > > correctly.
            >
            > I have the rgb.txt in my build tree. Its just that 'make install'
            > doesn't copy it over when building Vim.App. See further on in this
            > thread with the subject "[SOLVED] RE: 7.1a.001 OSX colour scheme
            > errors?".
            >
            > Is it possible for you to change the Makefile to copy rgb.txt to
            > $VIMRUNTIME during 'make install'?

            OK, I was trying the Vim.app after building it. Then it uses a link to
            the runtime files, thus rgb.txt is there.

            I'll add a specific line to copy rgb.txt.

            --
            I AM THANKFUL...
            ...for the clothes that fit a little too snug because it

          • A.J.Mechelynck
            Message 5 of 12 , May 10, 2007
              Bram Moolenaar wrote:
              [...]
              > I'll add a specific line to copy rgb.txt.

              Just for the record, after reformatting the entries to a common format and
              sorting, a diff between my ~/.build/vim/vim71a/runtime/rgb.txt and my
              /usr/share/X11/rgb.txt shows no other difference than the header comment -- so
              I suppose copying it unconditionally oughtn't to harm the OSs where there
              already is an rgb.txt.

              Oh, and just for fun: I slapped together a syntax script for rgb.txt
              (attached). I use it with a zero-length ftplugin and a one-line detection
              autocommand in filetype.vim (which are not attached: the autocommand is: "au
              BufRead,BufNewFile rgb.txt setf rgb"); Bram, what do you think of it?

              Best regards,
              Tony.
            • Bram Moolenaar
              Message 6 of 12 , May 10, 2007
                Tony Mechelynck wrote:

                > Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                > [...]
                > > I'll add a specific line to copy rgb.txt.
                > >

                > Just for the record, after reformatting the entries to a common format and
                > sorting, a diff between my ~/.build/vim/vim71a/runtime/rgb.txt and my
                > /usr/share/X11/rgb.txt shows no other difference than the header comment -- so
                > I suppose copying it unconditionally oughtn't to harm the OSs where there
                > already is an rgb.txt.

                Unless someone has an enhanced rgb.txt...

                > Oh, and just for fun: I slapped together a syntax script for rgb.txt
                > (attached). I use it with a zero-length ftplugin and a one-line detection
                > autocommand in filetype.vim (which are not attached: the autocommand is: "au
                > BufRead,BufNewFile rgb.txt setf rgb"); Bram, what do you think of it?

                Looks good. But I'll include it later. Needs some testing first.

                --
                From "know your smileys":
                :-E Has major dental problems