[SOLVED] RE: 7.1a.001 OSX colour scheme errors?

  • Michael Wookey
    Message 1 of 12 , May 9 1:14 AM
      > Hm... Maybe the console version checks the values of the guibg= guifg=
      > settings even though it doesn't use them. Try dropping the attached
      > file into your $VIMRUNTIME folder and see if it makes any difference.
      >
      > (See ":help rgb.txt" for an explanation of how Vim uses it. IIUC, on
      > X11- and Windows-based systems, those colour names' RGB values can be
      > obtained by querying the OS.)

      Ahh.. found it. 'make install' wasn't copying the 'rgb.txt' to
      $VIMRUNTIME.

      It seems that this is a bug because even on the linux machine, 'make
      install' doesn't copy rgb.txt either. However on the linux machine
      there are existing copies of rgb.txt in places like /etc/x11/rgb.txt
      (Ubuntu 7.04) which vim must have picked up which is why it works.

      I've never noticed this bug before since I always rsync the runtime
      after a build - which therefore places an rgb.txt into my $VIMRUNTIME.
      Because rsync is not suitable for the Vim 7.1a runtime, rgb.txt is
      missing from my $VIMRUNTIME hence the issue showed itself.

      I just did a build of 7.0.243 (svn#261) and it also fails with the
      inability to understand the colour scheme - because there is no rgb.txt
      copied to $VIMRUNTIME!

      So it looks like this might have been a long standing issue.

      Bram - can you change the Makefile to copy rgb.txt to $VIMRUNTIME for
      OSX builds?

      Thanks for the tip Tony!
    • A.J.Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 12 , May 9 2:35 AM
        Michael Wookey wrote:
        >> Hm... Maybe the console version checks the values of the guibg= guifg=
        >> settings even though it doesn't use them. Try dropping the attached
        >> file into your $VIMRUNTIME folder and see if it makes any difference.
        >>
        >> (See ":help rgb.txt" for an explanation of how Vim uses it. IIUC, on
        >> X11- and Windows-based systems, those colour names' RGB values can be
        >> obtained by querying the OS.)
        >
        > Ahh.. found it. 'make install' wasn't copying the 'rgb.txt' to
        > $VIMRUNTIME.
        >
        > It seems that this is a bug because even on the linux machine, 'make
        > install' doesn't copy rgb.txt either. However on the linux machine
        > there are existing copies of rgb.txt in places like /etc/x11/rgb.txt
        > (Ubuntu 7.04) which vim must have picked up which is why it works.

        The help mentions /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/ ; I found mine in /usr/share/X11 (on
        SuSE 10.2)... Apparently there is no single fixed location for that file. I
        wonder what the rule is? Any app using colour names should be able to find it
        after all.

        > I've never noticed this bug before since I always rsync the runtime
        > after a build - which therefore places an rgb.txt into my $VIMRUNTIME.
        > Because rsync is not suitable for the Vim 7.1a runtime, rgb.txt is
        > missing from my $VIMRUNTIME hence the issue showed itself.
        >
        > I just did a build of 7.0.243 (svn#261) and it also fails with the
        > inability to understand the colour scheme - because there is no rgb.txt
        > copied to $VIMRUNTIME!
        >
        > So it looks like this might have been a long standing issue.
        >
        > Bram - can you change the Makefile to copy rgb.txt to $VIMRUNTIME for
        > OSX builds?
        >
        > Thanks for the tip Tony!

        Best regards,
        Tony.
        --
        ... Logically incoherent, semantically incomprehensible, and
        legally ... impeccable!
        Message 3 of 12 , May 9 2:43 AM
          > Michael Wookey wrote:
          > >> Hm... Maybe the console version checks the values of the guibg=
          > guifg=
          > >> settings even though it doesn't use them. Try dropping the attached
          > >> file into your $VIMRUNTIME folder and see if it makes any
          > difference.
          > >>
          > >> (See ":help rgb.txt" for an explanation of how Vim uses it. IIUC,
          on
          > >> X11- and Windows-based systems, those colour names' RGB values can
          > be
          > >> obtained by querying the OS.)
          > >
          > > Ahh.. found it. 'make install' wasn't copying the 'rgb.txt' to
          > > $VIMRUNTIME.
          > >
          > > It seems that this is a bug because even on the linux machine, 'make
          > > install' doesn't copy rgb.txt either. However on the linux machine
          > > there are existing copies of rgb.txt in places like /etc/x11/rgb.txt
          > > (Ubuntu 7.04) which vim must have picked up which is why it works.
          >
          > The help mentions /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/ ; I found mine in /usr/share/X11
          > (on
          > SuSE 10.2)... Apparently there is no single fixed location for that
          > file. I
          > wonder what the rule is? Any app using colour names should be able to
          > find it
          > after all.

          On Ubuntu 7.04, the following are all symlinked to /etc/X11/rgb.txt

          /usr/share/X11/rgb.txt
          /usr/lib/X11/rgb.txt

          On OSX, there is no rgb.txt on the system at all unless X11 is installed
          (which it is not by default). This is why it may be a good thing to
          include rgb.txt for the OSX vim builds.
        • Bram Moolenaar
          Message 4 of 12 , May 9 12:51 PM
            Michael Wookey wrote:

            > I am running 7.1a.001 on OSX and have just noticed the following from
            > console vim (running in Terminal.app and also occurs in iTerm.app).
            >
            > If I change the colour scheme I receive a lot of error output. For
            > example:
            >
            > :colorscheme desert
            >
            > Results in:
            >
            > Error detected while processing
            > /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim/runtime/colors/desert.vim:
            > line 27:
            > E254: Cannot allocate color khaki
            > E254: Cannot allocate color slategrey
            > line 36:
            > E254: Cannot allocate color gold
            > line 37:
            > E254: Cannot allocate color tan
            >
            > Other colour schemes produce similar output. The error messages have
            > only appeared for me in console vim on OSX (10.4.9 PPC). They have not
            > appeared in the linux or win32 console vims of 7.1a.001. GVim's on each
            > of the platforms (OSX, linux, Win32) have worked fine.
            >
            > My console vim is symlinked as follows:
            >
            > $ ls -l `which vim`
            > lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 40 Feb 28 14:33 /usr/bin/vim ->
            > /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim
            >
            > These errors did not occur before 7.1a.001 and occurs on builds from CVS
            > and SVN. The errors still occur even with starting vim with:
            >
            > vim -u NONE
            >
            > Has anyone else noticed this?

            You apparently are missing the runtime/rgb.txt file. It's part of the
            extra archive. Perhaps you didn't unpack it correctly? You must have
            unpacked it, since it contains src/gui_mac.c. And you must not change
            the directory structure, otherwise Vim.app can't be generated correctly.

            --
            From "know your smileys":
            :-X My lips are sealed

          • Michael Wookey
            Message 5 of 12 , May 9 3:37 PM
              > > Has anyone else noticed this?
              >
              > You apparently are missing the runtime/rgb.txt file. It's part of the
              > extra archive. Perhaps you didn't unpack it correctly? You must have
              > unpacked it, since it contains src/gui_mac.c. And you must not change
              > the directory structure, otherwise Vim.app can't be generated
              > correctly.

              I have the rgb.txt in my build tree. Its just that 'make install'
              doesn't copy it over when building Vim.App. See further on in this
              thread with the subject "[SOLVED] RE: 7.1a.001 OSX colour scheme
              errors?".

              Is it possible for you to change the Makefile to copy rgb.txt to
              $VIMRUNTIME during 'make install'?

              Thanks.
            • Bram Moolenaar
              Message 6 of 12 , May 10 2:28 AM
                Michael Wookey wrote:

                > > > Has anyone else noticed this?
                > >
                > > You apparently are missing the runtime/rgb.txt file. It's part of the
                > > extra archive. Perhaps you didn't unpack it correctly? You must have
                > > unpacked it, since it contains src/gui_mac.c. And you must not change
                > > the directory structure, otherwise Vim.app can't be generated
                > > correctly.
                >
                > I have the rgb.txt in my build tree. Its just that 'make install'
                > doesn't copy it over when building Vim.App. See further on in this
                > thread with the subject "[SOLVED] RE: 7.1a.001 OSX colour scheme
                > errors?".
                >
                > Is it possible for you to change the Makefile to copy rgb.txt to
                > $VIMRUNTIME during 'make install'?

                OK, I was trying the Vim.app after building it. Then it uses a link to
                the runtime files, thus rgb.txt is there.

                I'll add a specific line to copy rgb.txt.

                --
                I AM THANKFUL...
                ...for the clothes that fit a little too snug because it

              • A.J.Mechelynck
                Message 7 of 12 , May 10 2:52 AM
                  Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                  [...]
                  > I'll add a specific line to copy rgb.txt.

                  Just for the record, after reformatting the entries to a common format and
                  sorting, a diff between my ~/.build/vim/vim71a/runtime/rgb.txt and my
                  /usr/share/X11/rgb.txt shows no other difference than the header comment -- so
                  I suppose copying it unconditionally oughtn't to harm the OSs where there
                  already is an rgb.txt.

                  Oh, and just for fun: I slapped together a syntax script for rgb.txt
                  (attached). I use it with a zero-length ftplugin and a one-line detection
                  autocommand in filetype.vim (which are not attached: the autocommand is: "au
                  BufRead,BufNewFile rgb.txt setf rgb"); Bram, what do you think of it?

                  Best regards,
                  Tony.
                • Bram Moolenaar
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 10 6:40 AM
                    Tony Mechelynck wrote:

                    > Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                    > [...]
                    > > I'll add a specific line to copy rgb.txt.
                    > >

                    > Just for the record, after reformatting the entries to a common format and
                    > sorting, a diff between my ~/.build/vim/vim71a/runtime/rgb.txt and my
                    > /usr/share/X11/rgb.txt shows no other difference than the header comment -- so
                    > I suppose copying it unconditionally oughtn't to harm the OSs where there
                    > already is an rgb.txt.

                    Unless someone has an enhanced rgb.txt...

                    > Oh, and just for fun: I slapped together a syntax script for rgb.txt
                    > (attached). I use it with a zero-length ftplugin and a one-line detection
                    > autocommand in filetype.vim (which are not attached: the autocommand is: "au
                    > BufRead,BufNewFile rgb.txt setf rgb"); Bram, what do you think of it?

                    Looks good. But I'll include it later. Needs some testing first.

                    --
                    From "know your smileys":
                    :-E Has major dental problems