vim from terminal?

  • jujul
    Message 1 of 10 , May 8, 2007
      hi,

      I installed the universal binary for vim 7.0.188 downloaded from
      http://macvim.org/OSX/index.php. It perfectly installed it in /Application,
      but I'd like to use that version in the Terminal as well (/usr/bin/vim is
      still version 6.2). How can I do it?

      thank you

    • Richard Newman
      Message 2 of 10 , May 8, 2007
        Here's how.

        sudo -s # Enter your password.
        cd /usr/bin
        mv vim oldvim # Back up the old one.
        ln -s /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim vim
        exit # Leave sudo.

        Just make sure that you don't remove Vim.app from Applications, or
        your console vim will go away!

        Another way to do this is to put /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/
        MacOS/ at the front of your path, and rely on HFS being case-
        insensitive; I can start Vim as vim on my MBP.

        On 5/8/07, jujul <jujulj@...> wrote:

        > Is there any way to replace /usr/bin/vim by the new version to
        > avoid having
        > both 6.2 and 7 in my computer?
        >
        > thanks for the quick reply!
      • Jjgod Jiang
        Message 3 of 10 , May 8, 2007
          2007/5/8, Richard Newman <rnewman@...>:
          > Here's how.
          >
          > sudo -s # Enter your password.
          > cd /usr/bin
          > mv vim oldvim # Back up the old one.
          > ln -s /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim vim
          > exit # Leave sudo.
          >
          > Just make sure that you don't remove Vim.app from Applications, or
          > your console vim will go away!
          >
          > Another way to do this is to put /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/
          > MacOS/ at the front of your path, and rely on HFS being case-
          > insensitive; I can start Vim as vim on my MBP.

          I'll suggest simply

          echo "alias vim=/Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim" >> ~/.profile
          source ~/.profile

          will be Ok.

          - jjgod.
        • Derrek Leute
          Message 4 of 10 , May 8, 2007
            This alias is much better as it won't effect or be effected by OS X
            upgrades. However, I would suggest putting the binary in a new path
            like darwinports or fink do. /opt/bin and add that path as the first
            one in your path environment variable. That way you and apple can
            live happily ever after.

            --Derrek

            On May 8, 2007, at 11:42 AM, Jjgod Jiang wrote:

            > I'll suggest simply
            >
            > echo "alias vim=/Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim" >>
            > ~/.profile
            > source ~/.profile
            >
            > will be Ok.
          • Richard Newman
            Message 5 of 10 , May 8, 2007
              > I'll suggest simply
              >
              > echo "alias vim=/Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim" >>
              > ~/.profile
              > source ~/.profile
              >
              > will be Ok.

              Won't work if a script invokes /usr/bin/vim, or if your profile isn't
              loaded (true for some shells in some circumstances), or if you're
              logged in as a different user. But yes, that's the nicest way if
              those things don't affect you.
            • jujul
              Message 6 of 10 , May 8, 2007
                Thank you all!

                Derrek Leute wrote:

                > This alias is much better as it won't effect or be effected by OS X
                > upgrades. However, I would suggest putting the binary in a new path
                > like darwinports or fink do. /opt/bin and add that path as the first
                > one in your path environment variable. That way you and apple can
                > live happily ever after.
                >
                > --Derrek
                >
                > On May 8, 2007, at 11:42 AM, Jjgod Jiang wrote:
                >
                >> I'll suggest simply
                >>
                >> echo "alias vim=/Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim" >>
                >> ~/.profile
                >> source ~/.profile
                >>
                >> will be Ok.

              • Christian Zagrodnick
                Message 7 of 10 , May 8, 2007
                  On 08.05.2007, at 17:50, Richard Newman wrote:

                  >> I'll suggest simply
                  >>
                  >> echo "alias vim=/Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim" >>
                  >> ~/.profile
                  >> source ~/.profile
                  >>
                  >> will be Ok.
                  >
                  > Won't work if a script invokes /usr/bin/vim, or if your profile
                  > isn't loaded (true for some shells in some circumstances), or if
                  > you're logged in as a different user. But yes, that's the nicest
                  > way if those things don't affect you.

                  Scripts etc. usually use $EDITOR or $VISUAL, don't they?

                  So you can

                  export VISUAL=/Applications.....

                  --
                  Christian Zagrodnick

                  gocept gmbh & co. kg · forsterstrasse 29 · 06112 halle/saale
                  www.gocept.com · fon. +49 345 12298894 · fax. +49 345 12298891