vim from terminal?

  • jujul
    Message 1 of 10 , May 8 7:27 AM
      hi,

      I installed the universal binary for vim 7.0.188 downloaded from
      http://macvim.org/OSX/index.php. It perfectly installed it in /Application,
      but I'd like to use that version in the Terminal as well (/usr/bin/vim is
      still version 6.2). How can I do it?

      thank you

    • Panos Laganakos
      Message 2 of 10 , May 8 7:37 AM
        If this doesn't give any clues:

        http://wiki.macvim.org/wiki/FAQ#head-6bd8d5c8aab5246bbeb93eff40ef6d4a8a0f7559

        feel free to ask again. Maybe we can polish that FAQ item a bit.

        On 5/8/07, jujul <jujulj@...> wrote:

        > hi,
        >
        > I installed the universal binary for vim 7.0.188 downloaded from
        > http://macvim.org/OSX/index.php. It perfectly installed it in /Application,
        > but I'd like to use that version in the Terminal as well (/usr/bin/vim is
        > still version 6.2). How can I do it?
        >
        > thank you
        >

        > --

        Panos Laganakos
      • Panos Laganakos
        Message 3 of 10 , May 8 7:57 AM
          Not sure about that one mate,

          let's see what others have to say on this one.

          On 5/8/07, jujul <jujulj@...> wrote:

          > Is there any way to replace /usr/bin/vim by the new version to avoid having
          > both 6.2 and 7 in my computer?
          >
          > thanks for the quick reply!
          >

          > Panos Laganakos wrote:
          > >
          > > If this doesn't give any clues:
          > >
          > > http://wiki.macvim.org/wiki/FAQ#head-6bd8d5c8aab5246bbeb93eff40ef6d4a8a0f7559
          > >
          > > feel free to ask again. Maybe we can polish that FAQ item a bit.
          > >
          > > On 5/8/07, jujul <jujulj@...> wrote:
          > >>
          > >> hi,
          > >>
          > >> I installed the universal binary for vim 7.0.188 downloaded from
          > >> http://macvim.org/OSX/index.php. It perfectly installed it in
          > >> /Application,
          > >> but I'd like to use that version in the Terminal as well (/usr/bin/vim is
          > >> still version 6.2). How can I do it?
          > >>
          > >> thank you
          > >>

          > >> --
          > >>

          > > --
          > > Panos Laganakos
          > >

          > --

          Panos Laganakos
        • Richard Newman
          Message 4 of 10 , May 8 8:35 AM
            Here's how.

            sudo -s # Enter your password.
            cd /usr/bin
            mv vim oldvim # Back up the old one.
            ln -s /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim vim
            exit # Leave sudo.

            Just make sure that you don't remove Vim.app from Applications, or
            your console vim will go away!

            Another way to do this is to put /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/
            MacOS/ at the front of your path, and rely on HFS being case-
            insensitive; I can start Vim as vim on my MBP.

            On 5/8/07, jujul <jujulj@...> wrote:

            > Is there any way to replace /usr/bin/vim by the new version to
            > avoid having
            > both 6.2 and 7 in my computer?
            >
            > thanks for the quick reply!
          • Jjgod Jiang
            Message 5 of 10 , May 8 8:42 AM
              2007/5/8, Richard Newman <rnewman@...>:
              > Here's how.
              >
              > sudo -s # Enter your password.
              > cd /usr/bin
              > mv vim oldvim # Back up the old one.
              > ln -s /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim vim
              > exit # Leave sudo.
              >
              > Just make sure that you don't remove Vim.app from Applications, or
              > your console vim will go away!
              >
              > Another way to do this is to put /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/
              > MacOS/ at the front of your path, and rely on HFS being case-
              > insensitive; I can start Vim as vim on my MBP.

              I'll suggest simply

              echo "alias vim=/Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim" >> ~/.profile
              source ~/.profile

              will be Ok.

              - jjgod.
            • Derrek Leute
              Message 6 of 10 , May 8 8:47 AM
                This alias is much better as it won't effect or be effected by OS X
                upgrades. However, I would suggest putting the binary in a new path
                like darwinports or fink do. /opt/bin and add that path as the first
                one in your path environment variable. That way you and apple can
                live happily ever after.

                --Derrek

                On May 8, 2007, at 11:42 AM, Jjgod Jiang wrote:

                > I'll suggest simply
                >
                > echo "alias vim=/Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim" >>
                > ~/.profile
                > source ~/.profile
                >
                > will be Ok.
              • Richard Newman
                Message 7 of 10 , May 8 8:50 AM
                  > I'll suggest simply
                  >
                  > echo "alias vim=/Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim" >>
                  > ~/.profile
                  > source ~/.profile
                  >
                  > will be Ok.

                  Won't work if a script invokes /usr/bin/vim, or if your profile isn't
                  loaded (true for some shells in some circumstances), or if you're
                  logged in as a different user. But yes, that's the nicest way if
                  those things don't affect you.
                • jujul
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 8 9:49 AM
                    Thank you all!

                    Derrek Leute wrote:

                    > This alias is much better as it won't effect or be effected by OS X
                    > upgrades. However, I would suggest putting the binary in a new path
                    > like darwinports or fink do. /opt/bin and add that path as the first
                    > one in your path environment variable. That way you and apple can
                    > live happily ever after.
                    >
                    > --Derrek
                    >
                    > On May 8, 2007, at 11:42 AM, Jjgod Jiang wrote:
                    >
                    >> I'll suggest simply
                    >>
                    >> echo "alias vim=/Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim" >>
                    >> ~/.profile
                    >> source ~/.profile
                    >>
                    >> will be Ok.

                  • Christian Zagrodnick
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 8 9:55 AM
                      On 08.05.2007, at 17:50, Richard Newman wrote:

                      >> I'll suggest simply
                      >>
                      >> echo "alias vim=/Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim" >>
                      >> ~/.profile
                      >> source ~/.profile
                      >>
                      >> will be Ok.
                      >
                      > Won't work if a script invokes /usr/bin/vim, or if your profile
                      > isn't loaded (true for some shells in some circumstances), or if
                      > you're logged in as a different user. But yes, that's the nicest
                      > way if those things don't affect you.

                      Scripts etc. usually use $EDITOR or $VISUAL, don't they?

                      So you can

                      export VISUAL=/Applications.....

                      --
                      Christian Zagrodnick

                      gocept gmbh & co. kg · forsterstrasse 29 · 06112 halle/saale
                      www.gocept.com · fon. +49 345 12298894 · fax. +49 345 12298891