vim from terminal?

  • jujul
    Message 1 of 10 , May 8, 2007
      hi,

      I installed the universal binary for vim 7.0.188 downloaded from
      http://macvim.org/OSX/index.php. It perfectly installed it in /Application,
      but I'd like to use that version in the Terminal as well (/usr/bin/vim is
      still version 6.2). How can I do it?

      thank you

    • Panos Laganakos
      Message 2 of 10 , May 8, 2007
        If this doesn't give any clues:

        http://wiki.macvim.org/wiki/FAQ#head-6bd8d5c8aab5246bbeb93eff40ef6d4a8a0f7559

        feel free to ask again. Maybe we can polish that FAQ item a bit.

        On 5/8/07, jujul <jujulj@...> wrote:

        > hi,
        >
        > I installed the universal binary for vim 7.0.188 downloaded from
        > http://macvim.org/OSX/index.php. It perfectly installed it in /Application,
        > but I'd like to use that version in the Terminal as well (/usr/bin/vim is
        > still version 6.2). How can I do it?
        >
        > thank you
        >

        > --

        Panos Laganakos
      • jujul
        Message 3 of 10 , May 8, 2007
          Is there any way to replace /usr/bin/vim by the new version to avoid having
          both 6.2 and 7 in my computer?

          thanks for the quick reply!

          Panos Laganakos wrote:

          > If this doesn't give any clues:
          >
          > http://wiki.macvim.org/wiki/FAQ#head-6bd8d5c8aab5246bbeb93eff40ef6d4a8a0f7559
          >
          > feel free to ask again. Maybe we can polish that FAQ item a bit.
          >
          > On 5/8/07, jujul <jujulj@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> hi,
          >>
          >> I installed the universal binary for vim 7.0.188 downloaded from
          >> http://macvim.org/OSX/index.php. It perfectly installed it in
          >> /Application,
          >> but I'd like to use that version in the Terminal as well (/usr/bin/vim is
          >> still version 6.2). How can I do it?
          >>
          >> thank you
          >>

          >> --
          >>

          > --
          > Panos Laganakos

        • Panos Laganakos
          Message 4 of 10 , May 8, 2007
            Not sure about that one mate,

            let's see what others have to say on this one.

            On 5/8/07, jujul <jujulj@...> wrote:

            > Is there any way to replace /usr/bin/vim by the new version to avoid having
            > both 6.2 and 7 in my computer?
            >
            > thanks for the quick reply!
            >

            > Panos Laganakos wrote:
            > >
            > > If this doesn't give any clues:
            > >
            > > http://wiki.macvim.org/wiki/FAQ#head-6bd8d5c8aab5246bbeb93eff40ef6d4a8a0f7559
            > >
            > > feel free to ask again. Maybe we can polish that FAQ item a bit.
            > >
            > > On 5/8/07, jujul <jujulj@...> wrote:
            > >>
            > >> hi,
            > >>
            > >> I installed the universal binary for vim 7.0.188 downloaded from
            > >> http://macvim.org/OSX/index.php. It perfectly installed it in
            > >> /Application,
            > >> but I'd like to use that version in the Terminal as well (/usr/bin/vim is
            > >> still version 6.2). How can I do it?
            > >>
            > >> thank you
            > >>

            > >> --
            > >>

            > > --
            > > Panos Laganakos
            > >

            > --

            Panos Laganakos
          • Richard Newman
            Message 5 of 10 , May 8, 2007
              Here's how.

              sudo -s # Enter your password.
              cd /usr/bin
              mv vim oldvim # Back up the old one.
              ln -s /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim vim
              exit # Leave sudo.

              Just make sure that you don't remove Vim.app from Applications, or
              your console vim will go away!

              Another way to do this is to put /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/
              MacOS/ at the front of your path, and rely on HFS being case-
              insensitive; I can start Vim as vim on my MBP.

              On 5/8/07, jujul <jujulj@...> wrote:

              > Is there any way to replace /usr/bin/vim by the new version to
              > avoid having
              > both 6.2 and 7 in my computer?
              >
              > thanks for the quick reply!
            • Jjgod Jiang
              Message 6 of 10 , May 8, 2007
                2007/5/8, Richard Newman <rnewman@...>:
                > Here's how.
                >
                > sudo -s # Enter your password.
                > cd /usr/bin
                > mv vim oldvim # Back up the old one.
                > ln -s /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim vim
                > exit # Leave sudo.
                >
                > Just make sure that you don't remove Vim.app from Applications, or
                > your console vim will go away!
                >
                > Another way to do this is to put /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/
                > MacOS/ at the front of your path, and rely on HFS being case-
                > insensitive; I can start Vim as vim on my MBP.

                I'll suggest simply

                echo "alias vim=/Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim" >> ~/.profile
                source ~/.profile

                will be Ok.

                - jjgod.
              • Derrek Leute
                Message 7 of 10 , May 8, 2007
                  This alias is much better as it won't effect or be effected by OS X
                  upgrades. However, I would suggest putting the binary in a new path
                  like darwinports or fink do. /opt/bin and add that path as the first
                  one in your path environment variable. That way you and apple can
                  live happily ever after.

                  --Derrek

                  On May 8, 2007, at 11:42 AM, Jjgod Jiang wrote:

                  > I'll suggest simply
                  >
                  > echo "alias vim=/Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim" >>
                  > ~/.profile
                  > source ~/.profile
                  >
                  > will be Ok.
                • Richard Newman
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 8, 2007
                    > I'll suggest simply
                    >
                    > echo "alias vim=/Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim" >>
                    > ~/.profile
                    > source ~/.profile
                    >
                    > will be Ok.

                    Won't work if a script invokes /usr/bin/vim, or if your profile isn't
                    loaded (true for some shells in some circumstances), or if you're
                    logged in as a different user. But yes, that's the nicest way if
                    those things don't affect you.
                  • jujul
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 8, 2007
                      Thank you all!

                      Derrek Leute wrote:

                      > This alias is much better as it won't effect or be effected by OS X
                      > upgrades. However, I would suggest putting the binary in a new path
                      > like darwinports or fink do. /opt/bin and add that path as the first
                      > one in your path environment variable. That way you and apple can
                      > live happily ever after.
                      >
                      > --Derrek
                      >
                      > On May 8, 2007, at 11:42 AM, Jjgod Jiang wrote:
                      >
                      >> I'll suggest simply
                      >>
                      >> echo "alias vim=/Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim" >>
                      >> ~/.profile
                      >> source ~/.profile
                      >>
                      >> will be Ok.

                    • Christian Zagrodnick
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 8, 2007
                        On 08.05.2007, at 17:50, Richard Newman wrote:

                        >> I'll suggest simply
                        >>
                        >> echo "alias vim=/Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim" >>
                        >> ~/.profile
                        >> source ~/.profile
                        >>
                        >> will be Ok.
                        >
                        > Won't work if a script invokes /usr/bin/vim, or if your profile
                        > isn't loaded (true for some shells in some circumstances), or if
                        > you're logged in as a different user. But yes, that's the nicest
                        > way if those things don't affect you.

                        Scripts etc. usually use $EDITOR or $VISUAL, don't they?

                        So you can

                        export VISUAL=/Applications.....

                        --
                        Christian Zagrodnick

                        gocept gmbh & co. kg · forsterstrasse 29 · 06112 halle/saale
                        www.gocept.com · fon. +49 345 12298894 · fax. +49 345 12298891