Re: Shifted Special Characters in vim-7 (mac)

  • Stephen Riehm
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 5, 2007
      Hi Nico,

      On 05.04.2007, at 01:16, Nicolas Weber wrote:

      >> one problem I have with vim-7 on macs is that the shifted special
      >> characters, like D-( or D-", only come through in their unshifted
      >> forms, in the previous examples D-9 and D-'. This has been my K.O.
      >> criteria for vim-7 in the past.
      >
      > SVN version or officially released version?

      erm... cvs? I used the

      cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@...:/cvsroot/vim checkout vim7

      line from http://www.vim.org/cvs.php.
      My mbp is brand new and I'm still on holidays, so I haven't installed
      much on it yet, including svn. I'll be home next week.
      What's the preferred reference?

      >> I hunted through the code and found a line in gui_mac.c which
      >> explicitly removes the shift modifier in the mistaken belief that
      >> you would get something like shift-( if it didn't. I removed the
      >> offending code and now my macros work beautifully again (for me :-).
      >
      > This line is there for a reason (but I don't remember the reason
      > atm :-\ ). The other guis have it, and I believe you would get
      > something like shift-( without this line. Which keyboard layout are
      > you using?

      I thought it might be :-)
      I'm using the US Keyboard layout on a US Keyboard MacBook Pro -
      nothing fancy.
      For what it's worth - what would be the problem if shift-( turned up?
      I know that on german keyboards, < and > are not shifted, while they
      are on US keyboards.
      Since only shift-, was arriving at the line I commented out - maybe
      we have a different problem (ie: why isn't < turning up instead of
      shift-,)

      > Here's a list with some problems my keyboard patch had (some
      > problems are still there): http://macvim.blogspot.com/2006/10/
      > keyboard-handling-patch.html

      OK - I've downloaded your patch and I'll have a look at it.

      >> This is just a preliminary patch (commenting out a few lines).
      >> How can I go about having this code tested and eventually included
      >> in the CVS code?
      >>
      >> I've also included a patch to install rgb.txt on OS-X - hasn't
      >> that annoyed anyone yet?
      >
      > This mailing list strips attachments for some reason and there
      > seems to be nobody who can fix this. So add your patches to http://
      > wiki.macvim.org/wiki/VimPatches/ and wait for feedback.

      I'll get back to you once I've checked out your patch and the
      regressions you mentioned.
      Thanks!

      Steve
    • Nicolas Weber
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 5, 2007

        >> SVN version or officially released version?
        >
        > erm... cvs? I used the

        ;-) That question was meant along the lines "official release or
        latest version". Sorry. So, what are the first three lines of the
        output of :version? (ie, which patches are included?).

        Did you pass --enable-multibyte to ./configure (does :version shoe
        "+multibyte)? There are some problems if you don't compile with
        multibyte support.

        > My mbp is brand new and I'm still on holidays, so I haven't
        > installed much on it yet, including svn. I'll be home next week.
        > What's the preferred reference?

        For installing svn? If 1.3 is good enough for you, go to http://
        metissian.com/projects/macosx/subversion/ (this is what http://
        subversion.tigris.org/project_packages.html recommends if you don't
        want to use fink). If you want to compile it yourself, http://
        developer.apple.com/tools/subversionxcode.html provides a good walk-
        through.

        > For what it's worth - what would be the problem if shift-( turned up?

        Well, if you mapped ( to something, the mapping wouldn't be triggered
        if only shift-( would arrive iirc.

        > I know that on german keyboards, < and > are not shifted, while
        > they are on US keyboards.

        FWIW, > is shifted on german keyboards (it's shift-<). The idea is to
        remove 'redundant' modifiers which were already used to produce the
        char code.

        > OK - I've downloaded your patch and I'll have a look at it.

        This patch got included in the official vim source as patch 7.0.138
        (that's why I feel a bit responsible for your problems ;-) ). Perhaps
        you're already using it.

        However, if I hit C-V D-S-9 in insert mode, I get <D-S-9> instead of
        <D-(> as well. It seems this patch doesn't help.

        I have the impression that if Cmd is pressed, Carbon doesn't use
        Shift to translate the 'base character'. If you hit C-V D-S-k, you
        end up with <D-S-k> instead of <D-K> as well. On the other hand, if
        you hit C-V D-M-;, you end up with <D-M-…>.

        This document is related to this: http://developer.apple.com/qa/
        qa2005/qa1446.html .

        I think we should create a wiki page which lists all these test cases
        (along with the expected behaviour)...do you want to do this? :-)

        Bye,
        Nico