Re: What's the current state of vim 6?

  • Stephen Riehm
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 5, 2007
      HI Benji,

      On 05.04.2007, at 06:02, Benji Fisher wrote:

      > On Sun, Apr 01, 2007 at 03:43:31PM -0700, Stephen Riehm wrote:
      >> I just made the switch to Intel and am having a little trouble
      >> getting a gvim up and running.

      >> Is there a version of vim 6 which is intel-carbon-capable, or "didn't
      >> someone post a patch to make vim-7 handle shift-alt mappings
      >> properly?"
      >> How could I get the latest version of vim-6 from cvs?

      >> Steve

      > I do not use cvs/svn because I am not sure how to recover after a
      > patch fails to apply cleanly, so I cannot say how to get vim 6.x
      > out of
      > cvs. If you download the tarballs, make sure to get the "extra"
      > archive.

      ahh... I am not the only person for whom cvs just isn't good enough :-)

      > I am afraid you are stuck. Either try using vim 6.4 in emulation
      > mode or search through the archives of this list and/or the
      > development
      > of vim 7.0 to figure out what had to be changed to get it to work on
      > Intel Macs. :-(

      Thanks for the tips! I've spent a little time working on the vim-7
      code, I figure if I can get that working nicely then someone else
      might also benefit from it - as opposed to whipping a dead horse back
      into life :-/

      So, if you're not using cvs, how do you go about applying patches and
      making new releases?

      Steve
    • Troy Arnold
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 5, 2007
        On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 09:02:58AM -0400, Benji Fisher wrote:

        > I do not use cvs/svn because I am not sure how to recover after a
        > patch fails to apply cleanly, so I cannot say how to get vim 6.x out of
        > cvs.

        Well, for svn the 'revert' command will take you back to a pristine copy of
        your checked out copy.
        $ svn revert

        If you mean undoing a patch that has been applied to an already modified
        working copy -- that's not really an issue either. After all, a subversion
        working copy is just a regular subdirectory, with regular files and you may
        manipulate them in the usual ways (patch, diff, etc)

        People are generally quite surprised how easy it is to get up and running
        with subversion, even without any previous experience with revision
        control systems.

        There's good documentation here: http://svnbook.red-bean.com/
        Read chapters one and two (they're short!) and you'll be off and running.

        -troy