Re: new Vim binary for Mac OS X

  • Ken Scott
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 5, 2001
      On Wed, 5 Dec 2001, Douglas Stebila wrote:

      > On Tuesday, December 4, 2001, at 11:03 PM, Dany St-Amant wrote:
      > > Nice work, but I think that the V is a bit thin (and thus look weak),
      > > in all the Vim icon supplied in the distribution the V is bolder,
      > > meaner (showing the power of Vim ;).
      >
      > You're right - I knew that it wasn't quite right, but couldn't put my
      > finger on it.
      >
      > > I also think the 'im' should be also present.
      >
      > I tried that out, but problems arise with image resizing. When you put
      > the icon in the dock, it could be sized anywhere from 16x16 to 128x128,
      > and only the thumbnail part of the icon is actually used in the
      > scaling. At 16x16 or even medium sizes like 48x48, the "im" appears
      > like a blob.
      >
      > A lot of other icons that have text in them (Mozilla's M, Internet
      > Explorer's e, Address Books' @, XDarwin's X) all have only one letter
      > and they look okay.

      The updated "V" with the thicker bar looks nice.

      > > The document icon fit nicely with the MacOS X various document icons.
      > > An alternative for the document icon, would be a big V in the middle,
      > > with a green tag in the upper left corner mentioning "TXT" à la
      > > Acrobat, or
      > > Stuffit
      >
      > There are now two versions of the document icon: the traditional style
      > with the file type below the icon, and the Acrobat style, with the
      > filetype on a tag in the top left. I think the Acrobat style looks much
      > better, but you can decide for yourself. Note that these icon's aren't
      > "finished" as I haven't made the smaller versions of them. I will do
      > that once I get feedback on which is preferred. Also please let me know
      > what filetypes you want icons for.

      I really, really like the icon with the tag at the top. However, the
      matching version, without the tag, looks unbalanced (the icon is too low).
      Is that particular version supposed to be used, or is it just a template
      for further expansion of file types?

      As far as filetypes, VIM is guaranteed. I would think that we could
      potentially need an icon for every filetype that Vim understands syntax
      for. I'm not sure just how much work that is, or if it would be practical
      to have Vim registered to be the editor for all those filetypes.

      Even if the filetypes aren't registered, it might be nice to have the
      icons available to be used on a file-by-file basis.

      Thanks for the great work!

      Ken

      --
      ><> Ken Scott kscott@... http://www.pcisys.net/~kscott

      This is the day that the Lord has made;
      I will rejoice and be glad in it! -- Psalm 118:24
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 5, 2001
        On Wednesday, December 5, 2001, at 12:49 PM, Ken Scott wrote:

        > [snip]
        > The updated "V" with the thicker bar looks nice.
        > [snip]
        > I really, really like the icon with the tag at the top. However, the
        > matching version, without the tag, looks unbalanced (the icon is too
        > low).
        > Is that particular version supposed to be used, or is it just a template
        > for further expansion of file types?
        >
        > As far as filetypes, VIM is guaranteed. I would think that we could
        > potentially need an icon for every filetype that Vim understands syntax
        > for. I'm not sure just how much work that is, or if it would be
        > practical
        > to have Vim registered to be the editor for all those filetypes.
        >
        > Even if the filetypes aren't registered, it might be nice to have the
        > icons available to be used on a file-by-file basis.
        >
        > Thanks for the great work!

        I agree on all points. Now, why doesn't it work for me? I already
        edited Vim.app/Contents/Info.plist and I just installed a new
        txt.icns . When I

        % open txt.icns

        the new icon comes up in Preview.app, so it looks as though I did not
        make a mistake there. I tried moving and copying Vim.app, and I tried
        restarting the Finder. (I did not yet try logging out and in again.) I
        made a new file foo.txt with Vim.app, but it still has the old icon.

        --Benji Fisher

        P.S. I may post a new binary tomorrow, with drag-and-drop enabled.
        Dany, is there any chance of addressing the problem with :browse real
        soon?