Re: Shifted Special Characters in vim-7 (mac)

  • Nicolas Weber
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 5, 2007

      > one problem I have with vim-7 on macs is that the shifted special
      > characters, like D-( or D-", only come through in their unshifted
      > forms, in the previous examples D-9 and D-'. This has been my K.O.
      > criteria for vim-7 in the past.

      SVN version or officially released version?

      > I hunted through the code and found a line in gui_mac.c which
      > explicitly removes the shift modifier in the mistaken belief that
      > you would get something like shift-( if it didn't. I removed the
      > offending code and now my macros work beautifully again (for me :-).

      This line is there for a reason (but I don't remember the reason
      atm :-\ ). The other guis have it, and I believe you would get
      something like shift-( without this line. Which keyboard layout are
      you using?

      Here's a list with some problems my keyboard patch had (some problems
      are still there): http://macvim.blogspot.com/2006/10/keyboard-
      handling-patch.html

      > This is just a preliminary patch (commenting out a few lines).
      > How can I go about having this code tested and eventually included
      > in the CVS code?
      >
      > I've also included a patch to install rgb.txt on OS-X - hasn't that
      > annoyed anyone yet?

      This mailing list strips attachments for some reason and there seems
      to be nobody who can fix this. So add your patches to http://
      wiki.macvim.org/wiki/VimPatches/ and wait for feedback.

      Bye,
      Nico
    • Stephen Riehm
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 5, 2007
        Hi Nico,

        On 05.04.2007, at 01:16, Nicolas Weber wrote:

        >> one problem I have with vim-7 on macs is that the shifted special
        >> characters, like D-( or D-", only come through in their unshifted
        >> forms, in the previous examples D-9 and D-'. This has been my K.O.
        >> criteria for vim-7 in the past.
        >
        > SVN version or officially released version?

        erm... cvs? I used the

        cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@...:/cvsroot/vim checkout vim7

        line from http://www.vim.org/cvs.php.
        My mbp is brand new and I'm still on holidays, so I haven't installed
        much on it yet, including svn. I'll be home next week.
        What's the preferred reference?

        >> I hunted through the code and found a line in gui_mac.c which
        >> explicitly removes the shift modifier in the mistaken belief that
        >> you would get something like shift-( if it didn't. I removed the
        >> offending code and now my macros work beautifully again (for me :-).
        >
        > This line is there for a reason (but I don't remember the reason
        > atm :-\ ). The other guis have it, and I believe you would get
        > something like shift-( without this line. Which keyboard layout are
        > you using?

        I thought it might be :-)
        I'm using the US Keyboard layout on a US Keyboard MacBook Pro -
        nothing fancy.
        For what it's worth - what would be the problem if shift-( turned up?
        I know that on german keyboards, < and > are not shifted, while they
        are on US keyboards.
        Since only shift-, was arriving at the line I commented out - maybe
        we have a different problem (ie: why isn't < turning up instead of
        shift-,)

        > Here's a list with some problems my keyboard patch had (some
        > problems are still there): http://macvim.blogspot.com/2006/10/
        > keyboard-handling-patch.html

        OK - I've downloaded your patch and I'll have a look at it.

        >> This is just a preliminary patch (commenting out a few lines).
        >> How can I go about having this code tested and eventually included
        >> in the CVS code?
        >>
        >> I've also included a patch to install rgb.txt on OS-X - hasn't
        >> that annoyed anyone yet?
        >
        > This mailing list strips attachments for some reason and there
        > seems to be nobody who can fix this. So add your patches to http://
        > wiki.macvim.org/wiki/VimPatches/ and wait for feedback.

        I'll get back to you once I've checked out your patch and the
        regressions you mentioned.
        Thanks!

        Steve
      • Nicolas Weber
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 5, 2007

          >> SVN version or officially released version?
          >
          > erm... cvs? I used the

          ;-) That question was meant along the lines "official release or
          latest version". Sorry. So, what are the first three lines of the
          output of :version? (ie, which patches are included?).

          Did you pass --enable-multibyte to ./configure (does :version shoe
          "+multibyte)? There are some problems if you don't compile with
          multibyte support.

          > My mbp is brand new and I'm still on holidays, so I haven't
          > installed much on it yet, including svn. I'll be home next week.
          > What's the preferred reference?

          For installing svn? If 1.3 is good enough for you, go to http://
          metissian.com/projects/macosx/subversion/ (this is what http://
          subversion.tigris.org/project_packages.html recommends if you don't
          want to use fink). If you want to compile it yourself, http://
          developer.apple.com/tools/subversionxcode.html provides a good walk-
          through.

          > For what it's worth - what would be the problem if shift-( turned up?

          Well, if you mapped ( to something, the mapping wouldn't be triggered
          if only shift-( would arrive iirc.

          > I know that on german keyboards, < and > are not shifted, while
          > they are on US keyboards.

          FWIW, > is shifted on german keyboards (it's shift-<). The idea is to
          remove 'redundant' modifiers which were already used to produce the
          char code.

          > OK - I've downloaded your patch and I'll have a look at it.

          This patch got included in the official vim source as patch 7.0.138
          (that's why I feel a bit responsible for your problems ;-) ). Perhaps
          you're already using it.

          However, if I hit C-V D-S-9 in insert mode, I get <D-S-9> instead of
          <D-(> as well. It seems this patch doesn't help.

          I have the impression that if Cmd is pressed, Carbon doesn't use
          Shift to translate the 'base character'. If you hit C-V D-S-k, you
          end up with <D-S-k> instead of <D-K> as well. On the other hand, if
          you hit C-V D-M-;, you end up with <D-M-…>.

          This document is related to this: http://developer.apple.com/qa/
          qa2005/qa1446.html .

          I think we should create a wiki page which lists all these test cases
          (along with the expected behaviour)...do you want to do this? :-)

          Bye,
          Nico