How to avoid typing 80 repeted Characters?

  • José Pinheiro Neta
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 3, 2007
      Hi!

      I found my self doing always the same :-(
      When I need to code, I need to write comment lines as follow:

      #
      Comment-----------------------------------------------------------------
      -------------

      I lose to much time writting 80 character. And I know that Vim as the
      answer, and that's why I love it.

      The firts question is:

      How do I repeat for instance the caracther "-" from column x to y.
      That must be till column y no matter which size is my comment.
      If it was a comment line with a fixed length, I could use the
      command :abbreviate, but it isn't.

      The second question is:

      How do I delete characters in a line from column x to column y.
      For instance; if the statement if:
      "How to avoid typing 80 repeted Characters?"

      How can I delete from column 4 to 6 (removing the word "to")?

      Thank you
    • Benjamin Esham
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3, 2007
        José Pinheiro Neta wrote:

        > How do I delete characters in a line from column x to column y.
        > For instance; if the statement if:
        > "How to avoid typing 80 repeted Characters?"
        >
        > How can I delete from column 4 to 6 (removing the word "to")?

        To delete from column 4 to column 6, try

        4|v6|d

        Since '|' is an exclusive motion, you could also do

        4|d7|

        This uses fewer keystrokes, but is much less obvious (since we use 7
        instead of 6). To delete column 4 and the next two columns to the
        right, use

        4|v2ld or 4|d3l

        Your questions would probably be better asked on the main vim mailing
        list, or perhaps in the comp.editors group; people there can probably
        give you even shorter solutions than these.

        HTH,
        --
        Benjamin D. Esham
        bdesham@... | AIM: bdesham128 | Jabber: same as e-mail