What's the current state of vim 6?

  • Stephen Riehm
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2007
      Hi Guys,

      I just made the switch to Intel and am having a little trouble
      getting a gvim up and running.

      I didn't move to vim-7 in the past because shift-alt- mappings didn't
      work, this still seems to be the case :-(
      (Just got the latest version from CVS)
      I tried to compile 6.4 - but it doesn't build any gui capabilities,
      even with ./configure --enable-gui=carbon

      Is there a version of vim 6 which is intel-carbon-capable, or "didn't
      someone post a patch to make vim-7 handle shift-alt mappings properly?"
      How could I get the latest version of vim-6 from cvs?

      Thanks guys,

      Steve
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 5, 2007
        On Sun, Apr 01, 2007 at 03:43:31PM -0700, Stephen Riehm wrote:
        > Hi Guys,
        >
        > I just made the switch to Intel and am having a little trouble
        > getting a gvim up and running.
        >
        > I didn't move to vim-7 in the past because shift-alt- mappings didn't
        > work, this still seems to be the case :-(
        > (Just got the latest version from CVS)
        > I tried to compile 6.4 - but it doesn't build any gui capabilities,
        > even with ./configure --enable-gui=carbon
        >
        > Is there a version of vim 6 which is intel-carbon-capable, or "didn't
        > someone post a patch to make vim-7 handle shift-alt mappings properly?"
        > How could I get the latest version of vim-6 from cvs?
        >
        > Thanks guys,
        >
        > Steve

        I do not use cvs/svn because I am not sure how to recover after a
        patch fails to apply cleanly, so I cannot say how to get vim 6.x out of
        cvs. If you download the tarballs, make sure to get the "extra"
        archive.

        Vim 6.4 builds the GUI by default (assuming you have the "extra"
        archive). Unfortunately, it does not seem to work on an Intel-based
        Mac. The first time I tried, it failed to link. I then noticed that
        everything was compiled with "-arch ppc". I edited src/Makefile to
        change that to "-arch i386" and then to remove it completely, but then
        the first file failed to compile. (Each time, I did "make distclean"
        before trying "make" again.)

        I am afraid you are stuck. Either try using vim 6.4 in emulation
        mode or search through the archives of this list and/or the development
        of vim 7.0 to figure out what had to be changed to get it to work on
        Intel Macs. :-(

        HTH --Benji Fisher
      • Stephen Riehm
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 5, 2007
          HI Benji,

          On 05.04.2007, at 06:02, Benji Fisher wrote:

          > On Sun, Apr 01, 2007 at 03:43:31PM -0700, Stephen Riehm wrote:
          >> I just made the switch to Intel and am having a little trouble
          >> getting a gvim up and running.

          >> Is there a version of vim 6 which is intel-carbon-capable, or "didn't
          >> someone post a patch to make vim-7 handle shift-alt mappings
          >> properly?"
          >> How could I get the latest version of vim-6 from cvs?

          >> Steve

          > I do not use cvs/svn because I am not sure how to recover after a
          > patch fails to apply cleanly, so I cannot say how to get vim 6.x
          > out of
          > cvs. If you download the tarballs, make sure to get the "extra"
          > archive.

          ahh... I am not the only person for whom cvs just isn't good enough :-)

          > I am afraid you are stuck. Either try using vim 6.4 in emulation
          > mode or search through the archives of this list and/or the
          > development
          > of vim 7.0 to figure out what had to be changed to get it to work on
          > Intel Macs. :-(

          Thanks for the tips! I've spent a little time working on the vim-7
          code, I figure if I can get that working nicely then someone else
          might also benefit from it - as opposed to whipping a dead horse back
          into life :-/

          So, if you're not using cvs, how do you go about applying patches and
          making new releases?

          Steve
        • Troy Arnold
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 5, 2007
            On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 09:02:58AM -0400, Benji Fisher wrote:

            > I do not use cvs/svn because I am not sure how to recover after a
            > patch fails to apply cleanly, so I cannot say how to get vim 6.x out of
            > cvs.

            Well, for svn the 'revert' command will take you back to a pristine copy of
            your checked out copy.
            $ svn revert

            If you mean undoing a patch that has been applied to an already modified
            working copy -- that's not really an issue either. After all, a subversion
            working copy is just a regular subdirectory, with regular files and you may
            manipulate them in the usual ways (patch, diff, etc)

            People are generally quite surprised how easy it is to get up and running
            with subversion, even without any previous experience with revision
            control systems.

            There's good documentation here: http://svnbook.red-bean.com/
            Read chapters one and two (they're short!) and you'll be off and running.

            -troy