using mac drawers to display a directory

  • chinmoy Gavini
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 24, 2007
      Hi,

      I really appreciate the drawer functionality for organizing the tabs
      in macvim. I was wondering if it would be possible to tweak the drawer
      to display the contents of a certain directory in a tree view? There
      are probably more pressing things to implement, so even if someone
      could point me to the appropriate source code file, it would be much
      appreciated.

      Thanks,

      Chinmoy
    • Nicolas Weber
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 24, 2007
        Hi,

        > I really appreciate the drawer functionality for organizing the tabs
        > in macvim. I was wondering if it would be possible to tweak the drawer
        > to display the contents of a certain directory in a tree view?

        everything is possible :-P We shouldn't diverge too much from
        standard vim though, I guess...

        > There are probably more pressing things to implement, so even if
        > someone
        > could point me to the appropriate source code file, it would be much
        > appreciated.

        The source file is vim-root/src/gui_mac.c, the tab stuff is at the
        bottom (provided you already applied the tabs patch :-P).

        HTH,
        Nico
      • Niklas Lindström
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 24, 2007
          While I do agree that it would be unfortunate to diverge from standard
          Vim, this would be really good to have. I don't have the list in my
          head, but this shouldn't be too far from some item in the wishlist for
          future Vim.

          Just for completeness, how about something like:

          :browsepanel <path>

          Which would open "something" from which one could select files. A
          "select" (double-click) would call ":e <path>" if path is a file, else
          expand tree (use ":browsepanel <otherpath>" for switching dir).
          Finally, ":browsepanel" w/o arg would close/toggle it.

          Just off the top of my head, since I really like the idea.. (Though
          this may lead to the slippery slope of IDE-like complexities I guess.
          And then there will be the "how to work netrw into this". Still, we've
          had ":browse" for years now..)

          Best regards,
          Niklas

          On 3/25/07, Nicolas Weber <nicolasweber@...> wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > > I really appreciate the drawer functionality for organizing the tabs
          > > in macvim. I was wondering if it would be possible to tweak the drawer
          > > to display the contents of a certain directory in a tree view?
          >
          > everything is possible :-P We shouldn't diverge too much from
          > standard vim though, I guess...
          >
          > > There are probably more pressing things to implement, so even if
          > > someone
          > > could point me to the appropriate source code file, it would be much
          > > appreciated.
          >
          > The source file is vim-root/src/gui_mac.c, the tab stuff is at the
          > bottom (provided you already applied the tabs patch :-P).
          >
          > HTH,
          > Nico

        • Panos Laganakos
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 24, 2007
            It would also be great, to add a graphical interface to plugins.

            A personal favorite would be, to use Nicolas' drawer for the
            project.vim plugin, which I use a lot.

            Not sure if that would add alot of overhead/make source diverge from
            the default vim sources, but hey, just a thought.

            --
            Panos Laganakos