Re: new Vim binary for Mac OS X

  • Dany St-Amant
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 4, 2001
      Le Mardi 4 décembre 2001, à 08:01 , Douglas Stebila a écrit :

      >> How is txt.icns used? I am afraid there might be copyright
      >> issues if I distribute Vim.app with the version we borrowed from
      >> TextEdit.app; maybe Douglas Stebila or someone else would be willing
      >> to design a new icon for us?
      >
      > As per Benji's request above, I have created some document icons for
      > Vim. I have created a plain document icon and one for txt files; icons
      > for other file types can easily be created. I have also updated the
      > application icon (brightened it up, improved the smaller-sized icons).
      >
      > You can download tarballs of the icons (GIMP source, PNGs, and .icns
      > files) from my webpage at
      > http://mac.douglas.stebila.ca/code/vim/
      >
      > If you want other icons or have any suggestions, please let me know.

      Nice work, but I think that the V is a bit thin (and thus look weak), in
      all the Vim icon supplied in the distribution the V is bolder, meaner
      (showing the power of Vim ;).
      I also think the 'im' should be also present.

      I tried to modified your icon (at the same time as I tried Iconographer),
      You can check the result at:
      http://www3.sympatico.ca/dany.stamant/vim/appDany.icns.gz

      I didn't try to use anti-aliasing or any fancy stuff as I don't have the
      tool and
      the skill to fully finetuned the icon. For the 'im' I used Apple
      Chancery, 56 point,
      italic, bloc, shadow.

      The document icon fit nicely with the MacOS X various document icons.
      An alternative for the document icon, would be a big V in the middle,
      with a green tag in the upper left corner mentioning "TXT" à la Acrobat,
      or
      Stuffit

      Dany,
    • raindog@mediaone.net
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 4, 2001
        On Tuesday, December 4, 2001, at 07:30 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:

        > How is txt.icns used?

        In theory, this is the icon with which documents that were created with
        Vim
        are displayed (also documents created with other apps that you
        subsequently
        set to "Open with application" Vim from the Finder). In practice, as you
        probably noticed, this doesn't happen, possibly in part because
        CFBundleSignature, the "creator code" that's supposed to uniquely
        identify
        Vim to the Finder, isn't set. Unfortunately, just setting the creator
        code in Info.plist and in PkgInfo doesn't solve the problem (not even
        after a reapplication of the venerable Step 3). You might have to set
        these from Project Builder, under "Application Settings".

        Incidentally, here's a tech note that describes some of the settings in
        Info.plist:
        <http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/ReleaseNotes/InfoPlist.html>,
        and here's more than you probably want to know about the subject:
        <http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/Essentials/SystemOverview/SoftwareConfig/
        Information_perty_Lists.html>.

        > I would like to move the runtime files (vim60/) inside Vim.app, and
        > put the executable (Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim) inside the runtime
        > folder. That way, I could distribute Vim.app by itself, rather than
        > inside a vim/ folder, and whatever folder contained vim60/ would
        > become $VIM by default.

        I'm not sure it's wise to tinker with the directory structure of an
        application. The right place for vim60/ would be inside
        Vim.app/Contents/Resources/ (or possibly SharedSupport/), but, as you
        probably realize, that entails modifying the code to point $VIMRUNTIME to
        that directory. I tried this once before with some success; I might be
        able to supply a patch, if anyone's interested.

        RD
      • Douglas Stebila
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 5, 2001
          On Tuesday, December 4, 2001, at 11:03 PM, Dany St-Amant wrote:
          > Nice work, but I think that the V is a bit thin (and thus look weak),
          > in all the Vim icon supplied in the distribution the V is bolder,
          > meaner (showing the power of Vim ;).

          You're right - I knew that it wasn't quite right, but couldn't put my
          finger on it.

          > I also think the 'im' should be also present.

          I tried that out, but problems arise with image resizing. When you put
          the icon in the dock, it could be sized anywhere from 16x16 to 128x128,
          and only the thumbnail part of the icon is actually used in the
          scaling. At 16x16 or even medium sizes like 48x48, the "im" appears
          like a blob.

          A lot of other icons that have text in them (Mozilla's M, Internet
          Explorer's e, Address Books' @, XDarwin's X) all have only one letter
          and they look okay.

          > The document icon fit nicely with the MacOS X various document icons.
          > An alternative for the document icon, would be a big V in the middle,
          > with a green tag in the upper left corner mentioning "TXT" à la
          > Acrobat, or
          > Stuffit

          There are now two versions of the document icon: the traditional style
          with the file type below the icon, and the Acrobat style, with the
          filetype on a tag in the top left. I think the Acrobat style looks much
          better, but you can decide for yourself. Note that these icon's aren't
          "finished" as I haven't made the smaller versions of them. I will do
          that once I get feedback on which is preferred. Also please let me know
          what filetypes you want icons for.

          All of the icons are available at
          http://mac.douglas.stebila.ca/code/vim/

          Thoughts?

          ---

          Douglas Stebila
          Email: stebilad@...
        • Ken Scott
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 5, 2001
            On Wed, 5 Dec 2001, Douglas Stebila wrote:

            > On Tuesday, December 4, 2001, at 11:03 PM, Dany St-Amant wrote:
            > > Nice work, but I think that the V is a bit thin (and thus look weak),
            > > in all the Vim icon supplied in the distribution the V is bolder,
            > > meaner (showing the power of Vim ;).
            >
            > You're right - I knew that it wasn't quite right, but couldn't put my
            > finger on it.
            >
            > > I also think the 'im' should be also present.
            >
            > I tried that out, but problems arise with image resizing. When you put
            > the icon in the dock, it could be sized anywhere from 16x16 to 128x128,
            > and only the thumbnail part of the icon is actually used in the
            > scaling. At 16x16 or even medium sizes like 48x48, the "im" appears
            > like a blob.
            >
            > A lot of other icons that have text in them (Mozilla's M, Internet
            > Explorer's e, Address Books' @, XDarwin's X) all have only one letter
            > and they look okay.

            The updated "V" with the thicker bar looks nice.

            > > The document icon fit nicely with the MacOS X various document icons.
            > > An alternative for the document icon, would be a big V in the middle,
            > > with a green tag in the upper left corner mentioning "TXT" à la
            > > Acrobat, or
            > > Stuffit
            >
            > There are now two versions of the document icon: the traditional style
            > with the file type below the icon, and the Acrobat style, with the
            > filetype on a tag in the top left. I think the Acrobat style looks much
            > better, but you can decide for yourself. Note that these icon's aren't
            > "finished" as I haven't made the smaller versions of them. I will do
            > that once I get feedback on which is preferred. Also please let me know
            > what filetypes you want icons for.

            I really, really like the icon with the tag at the top. However, the
            matching version, without the tag, looks unbalanced (the icon is too low).
            Is that particular version supposed to be used, or is it just a template
            for further expansion of file types?

            As far as filetypes, VIM is guaranteed. I would think that we could
            potentially need an icon for every filetype that Vim understands syntax
            for. I'm not sure just how much work that is, or if it would be practical
            to have Vim registered to be the editor for all those filetypes.

            Even if the filetypes aren't registered, it might be nice to have the
            icons available to be used on a file-by-file basis.

            Thanks for the great work!

            Ken

            --
            ><> Ken Scott kscott@... http://www.pcisys.net/~kscott

            This is the day that the Lord has made;
            I will rejoice and be glad in it! -- Psalm 118:24
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 5, 2001
              On Wednesday, December 5, 2001, at 12:49 PM, Ken Scott wrote:

              > [snip]
              > The updated "V" with the thicker bar looks nice.
              > [snip]
              > I really, really like the icon with the tag at the top. However, the
              > matching version, without the tag, looks unbalanced (the icon is too
              > low).
              > Is that particular version supposed to be used, or is it just a template
              > for further expansion of file types?
              >
              > As far as filetypes, VIM is guaranteed. I would think that we could
              > potentially need an icon for every filetype that Vim understands syntax
              > for. I'm not sure just how much work that is, or if it would be
              > practical
              > to have Vim registered to be the editor for all those filetypes.
              >
              > Even if the filetypes aren't registered, it might be nice to have the
              > icons available to be used on a file-by-file basis.
              >
              > Thanks for the great work!

              I agree on all points. Now, why doesn't it work for me? I already
              edited Vim.app/Contents/Info.plist and I just installed a new
              txt.icns . When I

              % open txt.icns

              the new icon comes up in Preview.app, so it looks as though I did not
              make a mistake there. I tried moving and copying Vim.app, and I tried
              restarting the Finder. (I did not yet try logging out and in again.) I
              made a new file foo.txt with Vim.app, but it still has the old icon.

              --Benji Fisher

              P.S. I may post a new binary tomorrow, with drag-and-drop enabled.
              Dany, is there any chance of addressing the problem with :browse real
              soon?