Re: [Fwd: Ctrl-^]

  • Michael Henry
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 21, 2007
      Stephen Riehm wrote:

      > Strangely though, the following map provides a "close alternative".
      >
      > map <S-C-6> <ESC>:w!<CR>:e#<CR>
      >
      > Good luck though - maybe things have changed enough on the mac platform
      > to allow ctrl-6 again.

      You inspired me to test this map:

      :map <c-6> :e #<CR>

      On my version of Vim, this works for mapping ctrl-6 to edit the previous
      buffer (and it also makes ctrl-^ work as well). When I unmap <c-6>,
      neither ctrl-6 nor ctrl-^ switches to the previous buffer; instead, they
      both accumulate 6's as the numeric argument (e.g., `ctrl-6 k` moves 6
      lines up).

      So for me, at least, this is a good work-around pending a fix in the
      code base. I tested this on Vim 7.206, compiled as below:

      :version
      VIM - Vi IMproved 7.0 (2006 May 7, compiled Mar 3 2007 15:21:47)
      MacOS X (unix) version
      Included patches: 1-206
      Compiled by mike@mac
      Huge version with Carbon GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
      +arabic +autocmd -balloon_eval +browse ++builtin_terms +byte_offset +cindent
      -clientserver +clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info
      +comments
      +cryptv -cscope +cursorshape +dialog_con_gui +diff +digraphs -dnd -ebcdic
      +emacs_tags +eval +ex_extra +extra_search +farsi +file_in_path +find_in_path
      +folding -footer +fork() -gettext -hangul_input +iconv +insert_expand
      +jumplist
      +keymap +langmap +libcall +linebreak +lispindent +listcmds +localmap +menu
      +mksession +modify_fname +mouse -mouseshape +mouse_dec -mouse_gpm
      -mouse_jsbterm +mouse_netterm +mouse_xterm +multi_byte +multi_lang -mzscheme
      -netbeans_intg -osfiletype +path_extra -perl +postscript +printer +profile
      -python +quickfix +reltime +rightleft -ruby +scrollbind +signs +smartindent
      -sniff +statusline -sun_workshop +syntax +tag_binary +tag_old_static
      -tag_any_white -tcl +terminfo +termresponse +textobjects +title -toolbar
      +user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual +visualextra +viminfo
      +vreplace
      +wildignore +wildmenu +windows +writebackup -X11 -xfontset -xim -xsmp
      -xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
      system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
      user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
      user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
      system gvimrc file: "$VIM/gvimrc"
      user gvimrc file: "$HOME/.gvimrc"
      fall-back for $VIM: "/Applications/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim"
      Compilation: gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_MAC
      -fno-common -fpas
      cal-strings -Wall -Wno-unknown-pragmas -mdynamic-no-pic -pipe -I.
      -Iproto -DMACO
      S_X_UNIX -no-cpp-precomp -I/Developer/Headers/FlatCarbon -g -O
      Linking:
      gcc -L/usr/local/lib -o Vim -framework Carbon -lncurses -liconv

      Michael Henry
    • Nicolas Weber
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 22, 2007
        Hi,

        > Many years ago, when I was the maintainer of the Win32 ports of
        > Vim, I made Vim accept Ctrl-6 as a synonym for Ctrl-^ (Ctrl+Shift+6
        > on US keyboards). This behavior must have been propagated into the
        > gtk version of gvim at some point. Now it's deep in my muscle
        > memory and I get frustrated at having to type ":b #" or ":e #"
        > instead.

        the attached patch converts Ctrl-6 to Ctrl-HAT and Ctrl-2 to Ctrl-AT
        (this is done in most other guis as well). With it, Ctrl-V Ctrl-6 at
        least outputs ^^, which seems sensible. Can you try if this patch
        does what you want?

        Bye,
        Nico

        ps: The list probably strips the patch (why oh why does it always do
        this?), so I've also uploaded it to http://wiki.macvim.org/wiki/
        VimPatches/Ctrl6 if someone else wants to test it.