ODB Suite/External Editor Protocol

  • Anders Carling
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 18, 2007
      Is there any plans on supporting the "ODB Suite"/External Editor
      Protocol ( http://www.barebones.com/support/develop/odbsuite.shtml )
      in vim for mac?
      I couldn't find any information about it on neither the vim for mac
      page nor vim.org.

      As i understand it some ftp applications (like interarchy) would need
      vim to support it in order to use vim as an external editor.
      --
      Anders Carling

      --
      Anders Carling
    • Nicolas Weber
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 18, 2007

        > Is there any plans on supporting the "ODB Suite"/External Editor
        > Protocol ( http://www.barebones.com/support/develop/
        > odbsuite.shtml ) in vim for mac?
        > I couldn't find any information about it on neither the vim for mac
        > page nor vim.org.

        No, there are no plans for this as far as I know.

        > As i understand it some ftp applications (like interarchy) would
        > need vim to support it in order to use vim as an external editor.

        vim can edit documents on ftp servers. Just type
        :e ftp://yourhost.com/yourfile.html
        , edit your document and save your changes with
        :w
        . Perhaps this helps you as well?

        Bye,
        Nico
      • Anders Carling
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 18, 2007
          Anders Carling

          On 19 mar 2007, at 00:19, Nicolas Weber wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          >> Is there any plans on supporting the "ODB Suite"/External Editor
          >> Protocol ( http://www.barebones.com/support/develop/
          >> odbsuite.shtml ) in vim for mac?
          >> I couldn't find any information about it on neither the vim for
          >> mac page nor vim.org.
          >
          > No, there are no plans for this as far as I know.
          >
          >> As i understand it some ftp applications (like interarchy) would
          >> need vim to support it in order to use vim as an external editor.
          >
          > vim can edit documents on ftp servers. Just type
          > :e ftp://yourhost.com/yourfile.html
          > , edit your document and save your changes with
          > :w
          > . Perhaps this helps you as well?
          >
          > Bye,
          > Nico

          Remote Editing through vim works to some extent, but i find it more
          efficient to use a good ftpclient for browsing the ftp/sftp/webdav-
          servers and handeling passwords.

          I'm not using interarchy as my main client but i was investigating
          using it, it has a few interesting features. However since vim-
          editing is my main concern when browsing ftp-servers i guess I will
          hold on to transmit (which do not only relay on the ODB Suite-thing
          for external editing.)

          Anyway, thanks!
        • Nicolas Weber
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 18, 2007

            >>> As i understand it some ftp applications (like interarchy) would
            >>> need vim to support it in order to use vim as an external editor.
            >>
            >> vim can edit documents on ftp servers. Just type
            >> :e ftp://yourhost.com/yourfile.html
            >> , edit your document and save your changes with
            >> :w
            >> . Perhaps this helps you as well?
            >>
            >> Bye,
            >> Nico
            >>
            > Remote Editing through vim works to some extent, but i find it more
            > efficient to use a good ftpclient for browsing the ftp/sftp/webdav-
            > servers and handeling passwords.

            I understand that you may prefer a GUI ftp client. That said, you can
            also browse remote directories with
            :Nread ftp://www.bla.com/
            and if you put a line reading
            machine www.bla.com login <your-login-name> password "<your-
            password>"
            into a file called .netrc in your home directory, Vim won't ask you
            for passwords either. Furthermore, the command line ftp clients won't
            ask you for password either (just make sure your .netrc is only
            readable by you).

            Bye,
            Nico