Re: new Vim binary for Mac OS X

  • raindog@mediaone.net
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 3, 2001
      > On Monday, December 3, 2001, at 07:50 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:
      >
      > > On Sunday, December 2, 2001, at 07:48 PM, raindog@... wrote:
      > >
      > > It would also be nice to be able to drag and drop text files (or any
      kind
      > > of file, for that matter) onto Vim. Has this issue been addressed
      yet?
      > > If not, the way to do it is to add certain keys to Vim.app's
      Info.plist file
      > > that indicate to the Finder which file types Vim is able to edit.
      >
      > I tried copying the TextEdit icon, as you did, and using your version
      of
      > Vim.app/Contents/Resources/txt.icns and I logged out and in again, and
      > it did not work. Did you leave out a step, or am I making a mistake?

      I did the following just now:

      1. downloaded the disk image from homepage.mac.com/fisherbb, mounted it,
      and copied the vim/ folder to a writeable volume

      2. issued these commands from a terminal (NewInfo.plist is the file
      that was attached to the previous message):

      cp NewInfo.plist vim/Vim.app/Contents/Info.plist

      cp /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/Resources/txt.icns
      vim/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/

      3. dragged Vim.app out of the vim/ folder, then option-dragged it back in
      to make a new copy.

      I was then able to drag and drop files onto the new copy of Vim.

      Give this procedure a shot--perhaps (3) is a necessary step, and logging
      out
      and back in again isn't sufficient after all (apologies for the
      confusion!).

      RD
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 4, 2001
        On Tuesday, December 4, 2001, at 01:11 AM, raindog@... wrote:

        > I did the following just now:
        >
        > 1. downloaded the disk image from homepage.mac.com/fisherbb, mounted it,
        > and copied the vim/ folder to a writeable volume
        >
        > 2. issued these commands from a terminal (NewInfo.plist is the file
        > that was attached to the previous message):
        >
        > cp NewInfo.plist vim/Vim.app/Contents/Info.plist
        >
        > cp /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/Resources/txt.icns
        > vim/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/
        >
        > 3. dragged Vim.app out of the vim/ folder, then option-dragged it back
        > in
        > to make a new copy.
        >
        > I was then able to drag and drop files onto the new copy of Vim.
        >
        > Give this procedure a shot--perhaps (3) is a necessary step, and
        > logging out
        > and back in again isn't sufficient after all (apologies for the
        > confusion!).
        >
        > RD

        Yes, Step 3 seems to be necessary. It works like a charm, now! I
        feel much better about distributing a Carbon binary that allows
        drag-and-drop; thanks!

        How is txt.icns used? I am afraid there might be copyright issues
        if I distribute Vim.app with the version we borrowed from TextEdit.app;
        maybe Douglas Stebila or someone else would be willing to design a new
        icon for us?

        As long as I am editing property lists by hand, maybe I can do
        more. I would like to move the runtime files (vim60/) inside Vim.app,
        and put the executable (Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim) inside the runtime
        folder. That way, I could distribute Vim.app by itself, rather than
        inside a vim/ folder, and whatever folder contained vim60/ would become
        $VIM by default. I tried this a while ago, editing the
        CFBundleExecutable entry in Info.plist, but could not get it to work.
        Does anyone know enough about how this works to help out? (Maybe I did
        not think to try Step 3...)

        --Benji Fisher
      • Douglas Stebila
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 4, 2001
          > How is txt.icns used? I am afraid there might be copyright issues
          > if I distribute Vim.app with the version we borrowed from TextEdit.app;
          > maybe Douglas Stebila or someone else would be willing to design a new
          > icon for us?

          As per Benji's request above, I have created some document icons for
          Vim. I have created a plain document icon and one for txt files; icons
          for other file types can easily be created. I have also updated the
          application icon (brightened it up, improved the smaller-sized icons).

          You can download tarballs of the icons (GIMP source, PNGs, and .icns
          files) from my webpage at
          http://mac.douglas.stebila.ca/code/vim/

          If you want other icons or have any suggestions, please let me know.

          ---

          Douglas Stebila
          Email: stebilad@...
        • Dany St-Amant
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 4, 2001
            Le Mardi 4 décembre 2001, à 08:01 , Douglas Stebila a écrit :

            >> How is txt.icns used? I am afraid there might be copyright
            >> issues if I distribute Vim.app with the version we borrowed from
            >> TextEdit.app; maybe Douglas Stebila or someone else would be willing
            >> to design a new icon for us?
            >
            > As per Benji's request above, I have created some document icons for
            > Vim. I have created a plain document icon and one for txt files; icons
            > for other file types can easily be created. I have also updated the
            > application icon (brightened it up, improved the smaller-sized icons).
            >
            > You can download tarballs of the icons (GIMP source, PNGs, and .icns
            > files) from my webpage at
            > http://mac.douglas.stebila.ca/code/vim/
            >
            > If you want other icons or have any suggestions, please let me know.

            Nice work, but I think that the V is a bit thin (and thus look weak), in
            all the Vim icon supplied in the distribution the V is bolder, meaner
            (showing the power of Vim ;).
            I also think the 'im' should be also present.

            I tried to modified your icon (at the same time as I tried Iconographer),
            You can check the result at:
            http://www3.sympatico.ca/dany.stamant/vim/appDany.icns.gz

            I didn't try to use anti-aliasing or any fancy stuff as I don't have the
            tool and
            the skill to fully finetuned the icon. For the 'im' I used Apple
            Chancery, 56 point,
            italic, bloc, shadow.

            The document icon fit nicely with the MacOS X various document icons.
            An alternative for the document icon, would be a big V in the middle,
            with a green tag in the upper left corner mentioning "TXT" à la Acrobat,
            or
            Stuffit

            Dany,
          • raindog@mediaone.net
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 4, 2001
              On Tuesday, December 4, 2001, at 07:30 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:

              > How is txt.icns used?

              In theory, this is the icon with which documents that were created with
              Vim
              are displayed (also documents created with other apps that you
              subsequently
              set to "Open with application" Vim from the Finder). In practice, as you
              probably noticed, this doesn't happen, possibly in part because
              CFBundleSignature, the "creator code" that's supposed to uniquely
              identify
              Vim to the Finder, isn't set. Unfortunately, just setting the creator
              code in Info.plist and in PkgInfo doesn't solve the problem (not even
              after a reapplication of the venerable Step 3). You might have to set
              these from Project Builder, under "Application Settings".

              Incidentally, here's a tech note that describes some of the settings in
              Info.plist:
              <http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/ReleaseNotes/InfoPlist.html>,
              and here's more than you probably want to know about the subject:
              <http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/Essentials/SystemOverview/SoftwareConfig/
              Information_perty_Lists.html>.

              > I would like to move the runtime files (vim60/) inside Vim.app, and
              > put the executable (Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim) inside the runtime
              > folder. That way, I could distribute Vim.app by itself, rather than
              > inside a vim/ folder, and whatever folder contained vim60/ would
              > become $VIM by default.

              I'm not sure it's wise to tinker with the directory structure of an
              application. The right place for vim60/ would be inside
              Vim.app/Contents/Resources/ (or possibly SharedSupport/), but, as you
              probably realize, that entails modifying the code to point $VIMRUNTIME to
              that directory. I tried this once before with some success; I might be
              able to supply a patch, if anyone's interested.

              RD
            • Douglas Stebila
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 5, 2001
                On Tuesday, December 4, 2001, at 11:03 PM, Dany St-Amant wrote:
                > Nice work, but I think that the V is a bit thin (and thus look weak),
                > in all the Vim icon supplied in the distribution the V is bolder,
                > meaner (showing the power of Vim ;).

                You're right - I knew that it wasn't quite right, but couldn't put my
                finger on it.

                > I also think the 'im' should be also present.

                I tried that out, but problems arise with image resizing. When you put
                the icon in the dock, it could be sized anywhere from 16x16 to 128x128,
                and only the thumbnail part of the icon is actually used in the
                scaling. At 16x16 or even medium sizes like 48x48, the "im" appears
                like a blob.

                A lot of other icons that have text in them (Mozilla's M, Internet
                Explorer's e, Address Books' @, XDarwin's X) all have only one letter
                and they look okay.

                > The document icon fit nicely with the MacOS X various document icons.
                > An alternative for the document icon, would be a big V in the middle,
                > with a green tag in the upper left corner mentioning "TXT" à la
                > Acrobat, or
                > Stuffit

                There are now two versions of the document icon: the traditional style
                with the file type below the icon, and the Acrobat style, with the
                filetype on a tag in the top left. I think the Acrobat style looks much
                better, but you can decide for yourself. Note that these icon's aren't
                "finished" as I haven't made the smaller versions of them. I will do
                that once I get feedback on which is preferred. Also please let me know
                what filetypes you want icons for.

                All of the icons are available at
                http://mac.douglas.stebila.ca/code/vim/

                Thoughts?

                ---

                Douglas Stebila
                Email: stebilad@...
              • Ken Scott
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 5, 2001
                  On Wed, 5 Dec 2001, Douglas Stebila wrote:

                  > On Tuesday, December 4, 2001, at 11:03 PM, Dany St-Amant wrote:
                  > > Nice work, but I think that the V is a bit thin (and thus look weak),
                  > > in all the Vim icon supplied in the distribution the V is bolder,
                  > > meaner (showing the power of Vim ;).
                  >
                  > You're right - I knew that it wasn't quite right, but couldn't put my
                  > finger on it.
                  >
                  > > I also think the 'im' should be also present.
                  >
                  > I tried that out, but problems arise with image resizing. When you put
                  > the icon in the dock, it could be sized anywhere from 16x16 to 128x128,
                  > and only the thumbnail part of the icon is actually used in the
                  > scaling. At 16x16 or even medium sizes like 48x48, the "im" appears
                  > like a blob.
                  >
                  > A lot of other icons that have text in them (Mozilla's M, Internet
                  > Explorer's e, Address Books' @, XDarwin's X) all have only one letter
                  > and they look okay.

                  The updated "V" with the thicker bar looks nice.

                  > > The document icon fit nicely with the MacOS X various document icons.
                  > > An alternative for the document icon, would be a big V in the middle,
                  > > with a green tag in the upper left corner mentioning "TXT" à la
                  > > Acrobat, or
                  > > Stuffit
                  >
                  > There are now two versions of the document icon: the traditional style
                  > with the file type below the icon, and the Acrobat style, with the
                  > filetype on a tag in the top left. I think the Acrobat style looks much
                  > better, but you can decide for yourself. Note that these icon's aren't
                  > "finished" as I haven't made the smaller versions of them. I will do
                  > that once I get feedback on which is preferred. Also please let me know
                  > what filetypes you want icons for.

                  I really, really like the icon with the tag at the top. However, the
                  matching version, without the tag, looks unbalanced (the icon is too low).
                  Is that particular version supposed to be used, or is it just a template
                  for further expansion of file types?

                  As far as filetypes, VIM is guaranteed. I would think that we could
                  potentially need an icon for every filetype that Vim understands syntax
                  for. I'm not sure just how much work that is, or if it would be practical
                  to have Vim registered to be the editor for all those filetypes.

                  Even if the filetypes aren't registered, it might be nice to have the
                  icons available to be used on a file-by-file basis.

                  Thanks for the great work!

                  Ken

                  --
                  ><> Ken Scott kscott@... http://www.pcisys.net/~kscott

                  This is the day that the Lord has made;
                  I will rejoice and be glad in it! -- Psalm 118:24
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 5, 2001
                    On Wednesday, December 5, 2001, at 12:49 PM, Ken Scott wrote:

                    > [snip]
                    > The updated "V" with the thicker bar looks nice.
                    > [snip]
                    > I really, really like the icon with the tag at the top. However, the
                    > matching version, without the tag, looks unbalanced (the icon is too
                    > low).
                    > Is that particular version supposed to be used, or is it just a template
                    > for further expansion of file types?
                    >
                    > As far as filetypes, VIM is guaranteed. I would think that we could
                    > potentially need an icon for every filetype that Vim understands syntax
                    > for. I'm not sure just how much work that is, or if it would be
                    > practical
                    > to have Vim registered to be the editor for all those filetypes.
                    >
                    > Even if the filetypes aren't registered, it might be nice to have the
                    > icons available to be used on a file-by-file basis.
                    >
                    > Thanks for the great work!

                    I agree on all points. Now, why doesn't it work for me? I already
                    edited Vim.app/Contents/Info.plist and I just installed a new
                    txt.icns . When I

                    % open txt.icns

                    the new icon comes up in Preview.app, so it looks as though I did not
                    make a mistake there. I tried moving and copying Vim.app, and I tried
                    restarting the Finder. (I did not yet try logging out and in again.) I
                    made a new file foo.txt with Vim.app, but it still has the old icon.

                    --Benji Fisher

                    P.S. I may post a new binary tomorrow, with drag-and-drop enabled.
                    Dany, is there any chance of addressing the problem with :browse real
                    soon?