Re: new Vim binary for Mac OS X

    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 3, 2001
      On Monday, December 3, 2001, at 11:42 AM, Bill Tschumy wrote:

      > Benji,
      >
      > Thanks for the updated gvimrc. Menu commands seem to be working well
      > now.
      >
      > I'm always a bit unsure whether to use these platform specific (or gui
      > specific) features. I worry that I will lose my muscle memory for
      > using standard Vim. I'll see how it goes.

      That is up to you. My goal is to give you the option of doing it
      however you want. I guess there is one thing you lose by using my
      modified menus: the menus no longer remind you of the standard vim
      keyboard alternatives, they only remind you of the Mac keyboard
      alternatives.

      --Benji Fisher
    • raindog@mediaone.net
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 3, 2001
        > On Monday, December 3, 2001, at 07:50 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:
        >
        > > On Sunday, December 2, 2001, at 07:48 PM, raindog@... wrote:
        > >
        > > It would also be nice to be able to drag and drop text files (or any
        kind
        > > of file, for that matter) onto Vim. Has this issue been addressed
        yet?
        > > If not, the way to do it is to add certain keys to Vim.app's
        Info.plist file
        > > that indicate to the Finder which file types Vim is able to edit.
        >
        > I tried copying the TextEdit icon, as you did, and using your version
        of
        > Vim.app/Contents/Resources/txt.icns and I logged out and in again, and
        > it did not work. Did you leave out a step, or am I making a mistake?

        I did the following just now:

        1. downloaded the disk image from homepage.mac.com/fisherbb, mounted it,
        and copied the vim/ folder to a writeable volume

        2. issued these commands from a terminal (NewInfo.plist is the file
        that was attached to the previous message):

        cp NewInfo.plist vim/Vim.app/Contents/Info.plist

        cp /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/Resources/txt.icns
        vim/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/

        3. dragged Vim.app out of the vim/ folder, then option-dragged it back in
        to make a new copy.

        I was then able to drag and drop files onto the new copy of Vim.

        Give this procedure a shot--perhaps (3) is a necessary step, and logging
        out
        and back in again isn't sufficient after all (apologies for the
        confusion!).

        RD
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 4, 2001
          On Tuesday, December 4, 2001, at 01:11 AM, raindog@... wrote:

          > I did the following just now:
          >
          > 1. downloaded the disk image from homepage.mac.com/fisherbb, mounted it,
          > and copied the vim/ folder to a writeable volume
          >
          > 2. issued these commands from a terminal (NewInfo.plist is the file
          > that was attached to the previous message):
          >
          > cp NewInfo.plist vim/Vim.app/Contents/Info.plist
          >
          > cp /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/Resources/txt.icns
          > vim/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/
          >
          > 3. dragged Vim.app out of the vim/ folder, then option-dragged it back
          > in
          > to make a new copy.
          >
          > I was then able to drag and drop files onto the new copy of Vim.
          >
          > Give this procedure a shot--perhaps (3) is a necessary step, and
          > logging out
          > and back in again isn't sufficient after all (apologies for the
          > confusion!).
          >
          > RD

          Yes, Step 3 seems to be necessary. It works like a charm, now! I
          feel much better about distributing a Carbon binary that allows
          drag-and-drop; thanks!

          How is txt.icns used? I am afraid there might be copyright issues
          if I distribute Vim.app with the version we borrowed from TextEdit.app;
          maybe Douglas Stebila or someone else would be willing to design a new
          icon for us?

          As long as I am editing property lists by hand, maybe I can do
          more. I would like to move the runtime files (vim60/) inside Vim.app,
          and put the executable (Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim) inside the runtime
          folder. That way, I could distribute Vim.app by itself, rather than
          inside a vim/ folder, and whatever folder contained vim60/ would become
          $VIM by default. I tried this a while ago, editing the
          CFBundleExecutable entry in Info.plist, but could not get it to work.
          Does anyone know enough about how this works to help out? (Maybe I did
          not think to try Step 3...)

          --Benji Fisher
        • Douglas Stebila
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 4, 2001
            > How is txt.icns used? I am afraid there might be copyright issues
            > if I distribute Vim.app with the version we borrowed from TextEdit.app;
            > maybe Douglas Stebila or someone else would be willing to design a new
            > icon for us?

            As per Benji's request above, I have created some document icons for
            Vim. I have created a plain document icon and one for txt files; icons
            for other file types can easily be created. I have also updated the
            application icon (brightened it up, improved the smaller-sized icons).

            You can download tarballs of the icons (GIMP source, PNGs, and .icns
            files) from my webpage at
            http://mac.douglas.stebila.ca/code/vim/

            If you want other icons or have any suggestions, please let me know.

            ---

            Douglas Stebila
            Email: stebilad@...
          • Dany St-Amant
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 4, 2001
              Le Mardi 4 décembre 2001, à 08:01 , Douglas Stebila a écrit :

              >> How is txt.icns used? I am afraid there might be copyright
              >> issues if I distribute Vim.app with the version we borrowed from
              >> TextEdit.app; maybe Douglas Stebila or someone else would be willing
              >> to design a new icon for us?
              >
              > As per Benji's request above, I have created some document icons for
              > Vim. I have created a plain document icon and one for txt files; icons
              > for other file types can easily be created. I have also updated the
              > application icon (brightened it up, improved the smaller-sized icons).
              >
              > You can download tarballs of the icons (GIMP source, PNGs, and .icns
              > files) from my webpage at
              > http://mac.douglas.stebila.ca/code/vim/
              >
              > If you want other icons or have any suggestions, please let me know.

              Nice work, but I think that the V is a bit thin (and thus look weak), in
              all the Vim icon supplied in the distribution the V is bolder, meaner
              (showing the power of Vim ;).
              I also think the 'im' should be also present.

              I tried to modified your icon (at the same time as I tried Iconographer),
              You can check the result at:
              http://www3.sympatico.ca/dany.stamant/vim/appDany.icns.gz

              I didn't try to use anti-aliasing or any fancy stuff as I don't have the
              tool and
              the skill to fully finetuned the icon. For the 'im' I used Apple
              Chancery, 56 point,
              italic, bloc, shadow.

              The document icon fit nicely with the MacOS X various document icons.
              An alternative for the document icon, would be a big V in the middle,
              with a green tag in the upper left corner mentioning "TXT" à la Acrobat,
              or
              Stuffit

              Dany,
            • raindog@mediaone.net
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 4, 2001
                On Tuesday, December 4, 2001, at 07:30 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:

                > How is txt.icns used?

                In theory, this is the icon with which documents that were created with
                Vim
                are displayed (also documents created with other apps that you
                subsequently
                set to "Open with application" Vim from the Finder). In practice, as you
                probably noticed, this doesn't happen, possibly in part because
                CFBundleSignature, the "creator code" that's supposed to uniquely
                identify
                Vim to the Finder, isn't set. Unfortunately, just setting the creator
                code in Info.plist and in PkgInfo doesn't solve the problem (not even
                after a reapplication of the venerable Step 3). You might have to set
                these from Project Builder, under "Application Settings".

                Incidentally, here's a tech note that describes some of the settings in
                Info.plist:
                <http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/ReleaseNotes/InfoPlist.html>,
                and here's more than you probably want to know about the subject:
                <http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/Essentials/SystemOverview/SoftwareConfig/
                Information_perty_Lists.html>.

                > I would like to move the runtime files (vim60/) inside Vim.app, and
                > put the executable (Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim) inside the runtime
                > folder. That way, I could distribute Vim.app by itself, rather than
                > inside a vim/ folder, and whatever folder contained vim60/ would
                > become $VIM by default.

                I'm not sure it's wise to tinker with the directory structure of an
                application. The right place for vim60/ would be inside
                Vim.app/Contents/Resources/ (or possibly SharedSupport/), but, as you
                probably realize, that entails modifying the code to point $VIMRUNTIME to
                that directory. I tried this once before with some success; I might be
                able to supply a patch, if anyone's interested.

                RD
              • Douglas Stebila
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 5, 2001
                  On Tuesday, December 4, 2001, at 11:03 PM, Dany St-Amant wrote:
                  > Nice work, but I think that the V is a bit thin (and thus look weak),
                  > in all the Vim icon supplied in the distribution the V is bolder,
                  > meaner (showing the power of Vim ;).

                  You're right - I knew that it wasn't quite right, but couldn't put my
                  finger on it.

                  > I also think the 'im' should be also present.

                  I tried that out, but problems arise with image resizing. When you put
                  the icon in the dock, it could be sized anywhere from 16x16 to 128x128,
                  and only the thumbnail part of the icon is actually used in the
                  scaling. At 16x16 or even medium sizes like 48x48, the "im" appears
                  like a blob.

                  A lot of other icons that have text in them (Mozilla's M, Internet
                  Explorer's e, Address Books' @, XDarwin's X) all have only one letter
                  and they look okay.

                  > The document icon fit nicely with the MacOS X various document icons.
                  > An alternative for the document icon, would be a big V in the middle,
                  > with a green tag in the upper left corner mentioning "TXT" à la
                  > Acrobat, or
                  > Stuffit

                  There are now two versions of the document icon: the traditional style
                  with the file type below the icon, and the Acrobat style, with the
                  filetype on a tag in the top left. I think the Acrobat style looks much
                  better, but you can decide for yourself. Note that these icon's aren't
                  "finished" as I haven't made the smaller versions of them. I will do
                  that once I get feedback on which is preferred. Also please let me know
                  what filetypes you want icons for.

                  All of the icons are available at
                  http://mac.douglas.stebila.ca/code/vim/

                  Thoughts?

                  ---

                  Douglas Stebila
                  Email: stebilad@...
                • Ken Scott
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 5, 2001
                    On Wed, 5 Dec 2001, Douglas Stebila wrote:

                    > On Tuesday, December 4, 2001, at 11:03 PM, Dany St-Amant wrote:
                    > > Nice work, but I think that the V is a bit thin (and thus look weak),
                    > > in all the Vim icon supplied in the distribution the V is bolder,
                    > > meaner (showing the power of Vim ;).
                    >
                    > You're right - I knew that it wasn't quite right, but couldn't put my
                    > finger on it.
                    >
                    > > I also think the 'im' should be also present.
                    >
                    > I tried that out, but problems arise with image resizing. When you put
                    > the icon in the dock, it could be sized anywhere from 16x16 to 128x128,
                    > and only the thumbnail part of the icon is actually used in the
                    > scaling. At 16x16 or even medium sizes like 48x48, the "im" appears
                    > like a blob.
                    >
                    > A lot of other icons that have text in them (Mozilla's M, Internet
                    > Explorer's e, Address Books' @, XDarwin's X) all have only one letter
                    > and they look okay.

                    The updated "V" with the thicker bar looks nice.

                    > > The document icon fit nicely with the MacOS X various document icons.
                    > > An alternative for the document icon, would be a big V in the middle,
                    > > with a green tag in the upper left corner mentioning "TXT" à la
                    > > Acrobat, or
                    > > Stuffit
                    >
                    > There are now two versions of the document icon: the traditional style
                    > with the file type below the icon, and the Acrobat style, with the
                    > filetype on a tag in the top left. I think the Acrobat style looks much
                    > better, but you can decide for yourself. Note that these icon's aren't
                    > "finished" as I haven't made the smaller versions of them. I will do
                    > that once I get feedback on which is preferred. Also please let me know
                    > what filetypes you want icons for.

                    I really, really like the icon with the tag at the top. However, the
                    matching version, without the tag, looks unbalanced (the icon is too low).
                    Is that particular version supposed to be used, or is it just a template
                    for further expansion of file types?

                    As far as filetypes, VIM is guaranteed. I would think that we could
                    potentially need an icon for every filetype that Vim understands syntax
                    for. I'm not sure just how much work that is, or if it would be practical
                    to have Vim registered to be the editor for all those filetypes.

                    Even if the filetypes aren't registered, it might be nice to have the
                    icons available to be used on a file-by-file basis.

                    Thanks for the great work!

                    Ken

                    --
                    ><> Ken Scott kscott@... http://www.pcisys.net/~kscott

                    This is the day that the Lord has made;
                    I will rejoice and be glad in it! -- Psalm 118:24
                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 5, 2001
                      On Wednesday, December 5, 2001, at 12:49 PM, Ken Scott wrote:

                      > [snip]
                      > The updated "V" with the thicker bar looks nice.
                      > [snip]
                      > I really, really like the icon with the tag at the top. However, the
                      > matching version, without the tag, looks unbalanced (the icon is too
                      > low).
                      > Is that particular version supposed to be used, or is it just a template
                      > for further expansion of file types?
                      >
                      > As far as filetypes, VIM is guaranteed. I would think that we could
                      > potentially need an icon for every filetype that Vim understands syntax
                      > for. I'm not sure just how much work that is, or if it would be
                      > practical
                      > to have Vim registered to be the editor for all those filetypes.
                      >
                      > Even if the filetypes aren't registered, it might be nice to have the
                      > icons available to be used on a file-by-file basis.
                      >
                      > Thanks for the great work!

                      I agree on all points. Now, why doesn't it work for me? I already
                      edited Vim.app/Contents/Info.plist and I just installed a new
                      txt.icns . When I

                      % open txt.icns

                      the new icon comes up in Preview.app, so it looks as though I did not
                      make a mistake there. I tried moving and copying Vim.app, and I tried
                      restarting the Finder. (I did not yet try logging out and in again.) I
                      made a new file foo.txt with Vim.app, but it still has the old icon.

                      --Benji Fisher

                      P.S. I may post a new binary tomorrow, with drag-and-drop enabled.
                      Dany, is there any chance of addressing the problem with :browse real
                      soon?