Making GVim a better OS X citizen

  • Panos Laganakos
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 12, 2007
      I rarely use the top menus to set things myself, but I was wondering:

      1. Would it make sense to have a preferences section like the rest of
      the OS X apps, to make it easier for newcomers?

      2. And if so, would it require a lot of hacking to the point of not
      being worth it?

      --
      Panos Laganakos
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 10, 2007
        On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 03:12:23PM +0200, Panos Laganakos wrote:
        > I rarely use the top menus to set things myself, but I was wondering:
        >
        > 1. Would it make sense to have a preferences section like the rest of
        > the OS X apps, to make it easier for newcomers?
        >
        > 2. And if so, would it require a lot of hacking to the point of not
        > being worth it?
        >
        > --
        > Panos Laganakos

        Vim has several items under the Edit menu, where "Preferences..."
        used to be in most Mac apps. I think the standard distribution of vim
        includes a "Settings Window" menu item, which does the same as

        :options

        The system gvimrc file that I distribute adds a "Preferences..." item as
        well.

        More recent apps have the Preferences item under the app menu, but
        we do not seem to have a way to set that. See #5 on the list of bugs at
        http://macvim.org/OSX/index.php#Bugs .

        HTH --Benji Fisher
      • David Morel
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 12, 2007
          Le 12 mars 07 à 15:58, Benji Fisher a écrit :

          > On Sun, Mar 11, 2007 at 10:20:07AM +0100, David Morel wrote:
          >>
          >> One thing that I'm dearly missing (in the "OSX conformance"
          >> department) is the ability to use tab to set the focus in dialog
          >> boxes (most notably the cancel/ignore/save box on closing). I can now
          >> use the keyboard only on most mac apps, but oddly enough for an
          >> application which is designed to be keyboard-driven, this is not
          >> possible in Vim :)
          >>
          >> David Morel
          >
          > David:
          >
          > You might have some luck discussing this on the list. I do not
          > know anything about programming on the Mac, so I cannot fix this.

          Argh ! the dreaded "reply/reply to all" syndrom :(

          David Morel