Re: MacVim 5.6.70 released

    Message 1 of 8 , May 9, 2000
      I think this is more appropriate for the vim-mac mailing list than
      the plain vim one, so I am replying here.

      I had similar problems, except that (1) I do not have MacsBug
      (whatever that is) (2) nothing serious seemed to happen when vim died
      (3) I may have misdiagnosed the problem. The behavior seemed to depend
      on the name of the folder containing VimPPC but maybe that only matters
      because it affects the setting of $VIM and therefore what files get
      sourced. I also find that both versions crash when I do

      :let $VIM=getcwd()

      Conclusion: we are not yet "ready for prime time"!

      --Benji Fisher

      Eugene Lee wrote:

      > I have a serious problem with this MacVim 5.6.70. When I started it up,
      > it would always die and drop into MacsBug. It's very difficult to exit
      > the app from there. Most of the time, it wouldn't and I'd have to
      > reboot (usually via MacsBug, but sometimes ctrl-cmd-pwr) . If it does
      > exit, it does so with a Type 2 error. I can provide MacsBug logs if
      > that can help trace the problem.
      >
      > I've isolated it to a single line that has worked flawlessly in previous
      > versions:
      >
      > let $Desktop = substitute($VIM,":.*",":Desktop Folder","")
      >
      > If I start up with a vimrc file containing only this line, MacVim bombs.
      > If I start up MacVim without the offending line, then type this line at
      > the command prompt, it works fine.
      >
      > This on MacOS 8.6. Increasing MacVim's memory partition doesn't help
      > (and I have mine set to 10 MB). I've also tried running it with only
      > MacOS 8.6 base extensions on, no go.
      >
      > Also, there seems to be a problem with syntax highlighting, because
      > files that have an appropriate syntax file take 3-4 times longer to
      > display than the previous patchlevel 68 version.
      >
      > On Sat, May 06, 2000 at 10:15:19PM +0200, Axel Kielhorn wrote:
      > :
      > :This message is send to all known MacVim users, if you don't want to get
      > :this message, please send me a mail.
      >
      > Please add me to your list of known MacVim users. Thanks!
      >
      > :I finally updated my environment and I'm now able to compile Vim with all
      > :of Dany's patches included.
      > :
      > :I have updated the Vim core to patch 70, fixing a bug with with the "go"
      > :command when editing DOS files.
      > :
      > :There is one incompatible change:
      > :This version no longer supports rc-files starting with a "." or "_". This
      > :may remove some crashes reported by Wes Palmer. Please use "vimrc" "gvimrc"
      > :and "exrc" on the Mac.
      > :
      > :Please test this version because this is the version I want Bram to put on
      > :the official vim site. Should I provide a fat version as well, maybe in a
      > :separate archive?
      > :
      > :As always you will find the newest version on:
      > :
      > :http://www.tu-bs.de/~i0080108/macvim.html
      > :
      > :Axel
      > :
      > :--
      > :Adults get far more pleasure from adultery
      > :than children do from infancy
      > :
      >
      > --
      > Eugene Lee
      > eugene@...
    • Eugene Lee
      Message 2 of 8 , May 9, 2000
        On Tue, May 09, 2000 at 03:50:29PM -0400, Benji Fisher wrote:
        :
        : I think this is more appropriate for the vim-mac mailing list than
        :the plain vim one, so I am replying here.

        I wasn't sure, because the announcement for MacVim 5.6.70 didn't show up
        on vim-mac@.... :)

        : I had similar problems, except that (1) I do not have MacsBug
        :(whatever that is)

        It's an assembly-level 680x0 and PowerPC debugger. If you have it
        installed on your Mac, whenever programs die, it dumps into MacsBug
        where you can see details like the address and exception. Sometimes
        it provides an extra level of gracefully quitting an app.

        :(2) nothing serious seemed to happen when vim died

        It's frozen my system a few fateful times.

        :(3) I may have misdiagnosed the problem. The behavior seemed to depend
        :on the name of the folder containing VimPPC but maybe that only matters
        :because it affects the setting of $VIM and therefore what files get
        :sourced. I also find that both versions crash when I do
        :
        ::let $VIM=getcwd()

        Can't imagine why this would crash. But then again, the latest version
        does add support for "_vimrc" and "_gvimrc", but removing support for
        ".vimrc" and ".gvimrc". I don't understand why MacOS' supports but
        frowns upon filenames beginning with a period. Maybe there are bugs
        with MacVim's interaction with the local filesystem?

        : Conclusion: we are not yet "ready for prime time"!

        If I could, I'd just switch to Mac OS X instead! Does anyone know if
        Vim compiles on Mac OS X, since it basically is BSD 4.4?

        --
        Eugene Lee
        eugene@...
        Message 3 of 8 , May 9, 2000
          > I had similar problems, except that (1) I do not have MacsBug
          >(whatever that is)

          Macsbug is a simple low level debugger for the Mac. It enables you to
          see the offending code when a Mac application crashes. Arguably the
          current version (6.6) has advanced beyond the 'simple'. I think that every
          Mac user should have something like this or Jasik installed.

          see < URL:http://developer.apple.com/tools/debuggers/MacsBug/ >

          >Eugene Lee wrote:
          > >
          > > I have a serious problem with this MacVim 5.6.70. When I started it up,
          > > it would always die and drop into MacsBug. It's very difficult to exit
          > > the app from there.

          What happens when you try the command
          es

          > > Most of the time, it wouldn't and I'd have to
          > > reboot (usually via MacsBug, but sometimes ctrl-cmd-pwr) . If it does
          > > exit, it does so with a Type 2 error. I can provide MacsBug logs

          Always useful.

          > > This on MacOS 8.6. Increasing MacVim's memory partition doesn't help
          > > (and I have mine set to 10 MB).

          That often helps with type 2 errors.

          > > I've also tried running it with only MacOS 8.6 base extensions on, no go.

          As does that.

          > > Please add me to your list of known MacVim users. Thanks!

          What is the current count of MacVim users. I use BBEdit.

          > > :There is one incompatible change:
          > > :This version no longer supports rc-files starting with a "." or "_". This

          Arguably applications should not use files staring '.', as very old Mac systems
          considered them to be drivers, and some disk utilities report them as errors.

          > > :Adults get far more pleasure from adultery
          > > :than children do from infancy

          Is there evidence for this.

          Ben.

          --
          I am always careful to run secure servers against DOS attack. You never
          know when someone might break in to your server and install DOS on it.
          Message 4 of 8 , May 11, 2000
            Eugene Lee wrote:

            > On Tue, May 09, 2000 at 03:50:29PM -0400, Benji Fisher wrote:
            > :
            > : I think this is more appropriate for the vim-mac mailing list than
            > :the plain vim one, so I am replying here.
            >
            > I wasn't sure, because the announcement for MacVim 5.6.70 didn't show up
            > on vim-mac@.... :)
            >
            > : I had similar problems, except that (1) I do not have MacsBug
            > :(whatever that is)
            >
            > It's an assembly-level 680x0 and PowerPC debugger. If you have it
            > installed on your Mac, whenever programs die, it dumps into MacsBug
            > where you can see details like the address and exception. Sometimes
            > it provides an extra level of gracefully quitting an app.
            >
            > :(2) nothing serious seemed to happen when vim died
            >
            > It's frozen my system a few fateful times.
            >
            > :(3) I may have misdiagnosed the problem. The behavior seemed to depend
            > :on the name of the folder containing VimPPC but maybe that only matters
            > :because it affects the setting of $VIM and therefore what files get
            > :sourced. I also find that both versions crash when I do
            > :
            > ::let $VIM=getcwd()
            >
            > Can't imagine why this would crash. But then again, the latest version
            > does add support for "_vimrc" and "_gvimrc", but removing support for
            > ".vimrc" and ".gvimrc". I don't understand why MacOS' supports but
            > frowns upon filenames beginning with a period. Maybe there are bugs
            > with MacVim's interaction with the local filesystem?
            >
            > : Conclusion: we are not yet "ready for prime time"!
            >
            > If I could, I'd just switch to Mac OS X instead! Does anyone know if
            > Vim compiles on Mac OS X, since it basically is BSD 4.4?

            There were some posts a while back asking for help on Mac OS X and
            no replies, so I assume there are problems.

            --Benji Fisher
          • Eugene Lee
            Message 5 of 8 , May 12, 2000
              On Tue, May 09, 2000 at 09:53:55PM +0100, Leedsnet wrote:
              :>Eugene Lee wrote:
              :> >
              :> > I have a serious problem with this MacVim 5.6.70. When I started it up,
              :> > it would always die and drop into MacsBug. It's very difficult to exit
              :> > the app from there.
              :
              :What happens when you try the command
              : es

              That's the command I use in MacsBug. So what happens is basically what
              I had explained before:

              :> > Most of the time, it wouldn't and I'd have to
              :> > reboot (usually via MacsBug,

              More specifically, the MacsBug command "rb".

              :> > but sometimes ctrl-cmd-pwr) . If it does
              :> > exit, it does so with a Type 2 error.

              [...]

              :> > Please add me to your list of known MacVim users. Thanks!
              :
              :What is the current count of MacVim users. I use BBEdit.

              A friend of mine swears by it. But I'm very much a VI person, and
              doesn't support VI key commands.

              :Arguably applications should not use files staring '.', as very old Mac systems
              :considered them to be drivers, and some disk utilities report them as errors.

              Ahhh, didn't know that. Thanks for the tip!

              --
              Eugene Lee
              eugene@...
              Message 6 of 8 , May 12, 2000
                At 09:21 AM 5/12/00, Eugene Lee wrote:
                >:> > I have a serious problem with this MacVim 5.6.70. When I started it up,
                >:> > it would always die and drop into MacsBug. It's very difficult to exit
                >:> > the application from there.
                >:
                >:What happens when you try the command
                >: es
                >
                >That's the command I use in MacsBug. So what happens is basically what
                >I had explained before:

                Thanks. I missed the start of this. es (exit to shell) causes control to be
                passed back to the finder and for the foreground process's resources to be
                released. This will not work if vital memory structures are corrupt. it also
                fails (or fails through that reason) under some circumstances if the foreground
                process is handing an elaborate apple event or is deeply involved in shared
                libraries. (Try doing an es out of Stuffit Deluxe).

                Generally, failure to respond to es indicates something that could be improved
                in a program & it would be nice to make vi as friendly and compliant as
                possible.

                Ben.
              • Eugene Lee
                Message 7 of 8 , May 12, 2000
                  On Fri, May 12, 2000 at 01:16:50PM +0100, Ben Fowler wrote:
                  :
                  :Generally, failure to respond to es indicates something that could be
                  :improved in a program & it would be nice to make vi as friendly and
                  :compliant as possible.

                  So are there any plans to make MacVim Carbon-comliant? :)

                  --
                  Eugene Lee
                  eugene@...
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 12, 2000
                    At 19:41 Uhr +0200 2000-05-12, Eugene Lee wrote:
                    >On Fri, May 12, 2000 at 01:16:50PM +0100, Ben Fowler wrote:
                    >:
                    >:Generally, failure to respond to es indicates something that could be
                    >:improved in a program & it would be nice to make vi as friendly and
                    >:compliant as possible.
                    >
                    >So are there any plans to make MacVim Carbon-comliant? :)

                    ATM about 15% of the calls MacVim makes are not compatible with carbon. I
                    think this should get high priority.

                    Axel