vim window width

  • Panos Laganakos
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 26, 2007
      Is there a way to modify the way that Vim maximizes?

      ie other than just taking the max height, have it take the max width
      of the screen.

      These is supposed to be sorta against Apple's HIG, but since it's a
      text editor I think I can get away with it.

      The reason for this, is that most of the time I have two vertical
      windows open, so it's kinda inconvenient for me to always drag it
      around.

      Thanks.

      --
      Panos Laganakos
    • Matthew Jenove
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 26, 2007
        Panos Laganakos <panos.laganakos@...> wrote:
        > Is there a way to modify the way that Vim maximizes?

        I don't know if this really answers your question, but I use "win" in
        command mode to set the window size. On my 15" Powerbook, the first
        think I typically type in a [g]vim window is

        :win 80 63

        And this gets me an 80-column window just about as tall as the screen.
        I also use

        :win 165 63

        when doing split-diff's. I suppose you can just play around with it
        until you find your favorite window size, and then drop it in your rc
        file or commit the dimensions to memory.

        HTH,
        matthew jenove

        --
        "If it isn't raining now, take the bike. As long as you get to work
        dry it doesn't matter if you come home wet."
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 26, 2007
          Matthew, thanks for the tip.

          Although I read in the help files, that:

          win[size] {width} {height}

          command is obsolete and we are supposed to use:

          set lines={num_of_lines} columns={num_of_columns}

          instead.

          Still, this is just another way to do the dragging of the window, but
          doing it with a command.

          I'd like to be able to use the maximize button, to toggle between two
          states - whole screen and user defined size, that may be the startup
          size or the result of set/lines/columns or dragging of the window.

          --
          Panos Laganakos