Re: Using filetype plugin for plist file

  • listuser
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 20, 2007
      Am 18.01.2007 um 22:19 schrieb Benji Fisher:

      > On Jan 14, 2007, at 1:09 PM, listuser wrote:
      >
      >> Hello together,
      >>
      >> I have a plugin which I want to use as a filetype plugin for
      >> binary plist files (e.g. the ones locatet in ~/Library/Preferences).
      >> I have "filetype plugin indent on" in my .vimrc file.
      >>
      >> The plugin works correctly when i put it into ~/.vim/plugin/
      >> plist.vim but of course it is loaded for any filetype.
      >> When I put it into ~/vim/ftplugin/plist.vim ist is not loaded when
      >> editing plist files.
      >>
      >> What do do I have to do, to make vim load my plist.vim file when I
      >> edit a file with the suffix .plist?
      >> I have read ":help add-filetype-plugin" I still can't figure it out.
      >>
      >> Any help will be appreciatetd.
      >
      > If you want to use the ftplugin mechanism, you have to tell
      > vim that *.plist describes a file of type plist. See
      >
      > :help new-filetype
      >
      > for how to do this. There are several options there: I suggest
      > using C.

      Thank you for pointing me to the right direction.
      Actually I have partially solved my question (see http://
      tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/vim-mac/message/4272) but
      my solution is still improvable.

      > By the way, what is the binary plist format? Is it some sort
      > of compressed XML?

      As of Mac OS X 10.3 or so many plist files are stored in binary
      format. They must be converted to xml before they can be
      edited like a plain text file. This can be done easyly with the
      command plutil (see man plutil for details).

      I have written a ftplugin (based on the work of Moritz Heckscher) to
      automate this conversion forward and backwards.
      I plan to publish it after some further testing and improvement
      becaus I think it might br useful to other macusers.

      Best regards
      Martin

      PS: Pleas send replies also to vim-mac@... - otherwise they will
      not get to everybody!

      --
      VIM - Vi IMproved 7.0
      MacOS X (unix) version
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
        On Sat, Jan 20, 2007 at 12:59:21PM +0100, listuser wrote:

        > Am 18.01.2007 um 22:19 schrieb Benji Fisher:
        >
        > > By the way, what is the binary plist format? Is it some sort
        > >of compressed XML?
        >
        > As of Mac OS X 10.3 or so many plist files are stored in binary
        > format. They must be converted to xml before they can be
        > edited like a plain text file. This can be done easyly with the
        > command plutil (see man plutil for details).
        >
        > I have written a ftplugin (based on the work of Moritz Heckscher) to
        > automate this conversion forward and backwards.
        > I plan to publish it after some further testing and improvement
        > becaus I think it might br useful to other macusers.

        Yes, I think it will be useful. Thanks for the tip.

        One of the many projects I cannot find the time to complete is
        figuring out how to adapt the gzip plugin (especially the parts in
        $VIMRUNTIME/autoload/ ) to work with other filters. I have filters that
        let me read ms-word, ms-excel, and PDF in vim, and there should be an
        easy way to invoke them. The binary plist format is another example.

        > Best regards
        > Martin
        >
        > PS: Pleas send replies also to vim-mac@... - otherwise they will
        > not get to everybody!

        Sorry. After my Linux computer died, I was using Mail.app for a
        while, but not long enough to develop good habits with it. Now that I
        have set up mutt on my iMac, I am again more likely to give that advice
        than to need it. ;)

        HTH --Benji Fisher