Re: Using filetype plugin for plist file

  • listuser
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 15, 2007
      Hello,

      thanks for the reply.

      > let SOURCEME=expand("/usr/local/etc/vim/plist.vim")
      > if filereadable(SOURCEME)
      > exe "source " . SOURCEME
      > endif

      I didn't need this part since my plugin ist stored in .vim/ftplugin

      > " treat .plist as xml
      > au BufRead,BufNewFile *.plist set filetype=xml

      This helped.
      I just added
      "au BufRead,BufNewFile *.plist set filetype=plist"
      At the end of my .vimrc file.

      Thanks again
      Martin

      --
      VIM - Vi IMproved 7.0
      MacOS X (unix) version
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 20, 2007
        Am 18.01.2007 um 22:19 schrieb Benji Fisher:

        > On Jan 14, 2007, at 1:09 PM, listuser wrote:
        >
        >> Hello together,
        >>
        >> I have a plugin which I want to use as a filetype plugin for
        >> binary plist files (e.g. the ones locatet in ~/Library/Preferences).
        >> I have "filetype plugin indent on" in my .vimrc file.
        >>
        >> The plugin works correctly when i put it into ~/.vim/plugin/
        >> plist.vim but of course it is loaded for any filetype.
        >> When I put it into ~/vim/ftplugin/plist.vim ist is not loaded when
        >> editing plist files.
        >>
        >> What do do I have to do, to make vim load my plist.vim file when I
        >> edit a file with the suffix .plist?
        >> I have read ":help add-filetype-plugin" I still can't figure it out.
        >>
        >> Any help will be appreciatetd.
        >
        > If you want to use the ftplugin mechanism, you have to tell
        > vim that *.plist describes a file of type plist. See
        >
        > :help new-filetype
        >
        > for how to do this. There are several options there: I suggest
        > using C.

        Thank you for pointing me to the right direction.
        Actually I have partially solved my question (see http://
        tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/vim-mac/message/4272) but
        my solution is still improvable.

        > By the way, what is the binary plist format? Is it some sort
        > of compressed XML?

        As of Mac OS X 10.3 or so many plist files are stored in binary
        format. They must be converted to xml before they can be
        edited like a plain text file. This can be done easyly with the
        command plutil (see man plutil for details).

        I have written a ftplugin (based on the work of Moritz Heckscher) to
        automate this conversion forward and backwards.
        I plan to publish it after some further testing and improvement
        becaus I think it might br useful to other macusers.

        Best regards
        Martin

        PS: Pleas send replies also to vim-mac@... - otherwise they will
        not get to everybody!

        --
        VIM - Vi IMproved 7.0
        MacOS X (unix) version
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
          On Sat, Jan 20, 2007 at 12:59:21PM +0100, listuser wrote:

          > Am 18.01.2007 um 22:19 schrieb Benji Fisher:
          >
          > > By the way, what is the binary plist format? Is it some sort
          > >of compressed XML?
          >
          > As of Mac OS X 10.3 or so many plist files are stored in binary
          > format. They must be converted to xml before they can be
          > edited like a plain text file. This can be done easyly with the
          > command plutil (see man plutil for details).
          >
          > I have written a ftplugin (based on the work of Moritz Heckscher) to
          > automate this conversion forward and backwards.
          > I plan to publish it after some further testing and improvement
          > becaus I think it might br useful to other macusers.

          Yes, I think it will be useful. Thanks for the tip.

          One of the many projects I cannot find the time to complete is
          figuring out how to adapt the gzip plugin (especially the parts in
          $VIMRUNTIME/autoload/ ) to work with other filters. I have filters that
          let me read ms-word, ms-excel, and PDF in vim, and there should be an
          easy way to invoke them. The binary plist format is another example.

          > Best regards
          > Martin
          >
          > PS: Pleas send replies also to vim-mac@... - otherwise they will
          > not get to everybody!

          Sorry. After my Linux computer died, I was using Mail.app for a
          while, but not long enough to develop good habits with it. Now that I
          have set up mutt on my iMac, I am again more likely to give that advice
          than to need it. ;)

          HTH --Benji Fisher