Re: new Vim binary for Mac OS X

  • Bill Tschumy
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 1, 2001
      Benji,

      Hey this is really great! A couple of questions though...

      1. I have been running VIM 6.0 from Terminal. I have gotten used
      to my light blue background I set for Terminal windows. Is there a
      simple VIM command to set the background?

      2. I have been using a BufExplorer command that works similar to
      Explorer for files. The BufExplorer is not being sourced and for
      the life of me I can't find a file on my disk that has BufExplorer
      in it. I'm really not sure how it was working for me but I would
      like it back. Was this command built into 6.0 somehow and you have
      removed it? Any thoughts?

      3. I notice this VIM can't automatically open a file that has been
      double-clicked. Any thoughts on how hard this would be?

      Thanks for all the hard work.

      Bill

      --
      Bill Tschumy
      Otherwise -- Austin, TX
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 2, 2001
        Bill Tschumy wrote:

        > Benji,
        >
        > Hey this is really great! A couple of questions though...
        >
        > 1. I have been running VIM 6.0 from Terminal. I have gotten used
        > to my light blue background I set for Terminal windows. Is there a
        > simple VIM command to set the background?

        :hi Normal guibg=lightblue
        :help :hi
        :help :syn-qstart

        > 2. I have been using a BufExplorer command that works similar to
        > Explorer for files. The BufExplorer is not being sourced and for
        > the life of me I can't find a file on my disk that has BufExplorer
        > in it. I'm really not sure how it was working for me but I would
        > like it back. Was this command built into 6.0 somehow and you have
        > removed it? Any thoughts?

        The BufExplorer.vim file is probably somewhere in a plugin/ directory
        under a directory in your terminal vim's runtimepath. Check

        :set rtp?

        inside the terminal vim. Once you find it, you can :source it from your vimrc
        file, copy it into a directory searched by the Carbon vim, or make a symlink
        so that both versions of vim search the same directories.

        We have been discussing the issue of where Carbon vim should search for
        scripts. Once we make up our minds, this should be easier. One thing I could
        do, but have not yet done, is adjust the 'runtitmepath' option in the system
        vimrc file that I supplied with the Carbon vim.

        > 3. I notice this VIM can't automatically open a file that has been
        > double-clicked. Any thoughts on how hard this would be?

        Did you tell OS X that some files are supposed to be opened by Vim.app?
        Choose a file in the Finder, type Cmd-I (or choose File.Get\ Information or
        whatever) and choose the "Open With Application" tab. (I just tested this on
        the previous vim binary I released, since I only installed the new one at
        work, so far.)

        > Thanks for all the hard work.

        You are welcome, and thank you for the feedback. Please also test the
        File and Edit menus, and associated keyboard shortcuts. (First comment out
        the "finish" line in the gvimrc file that I supplied.) Let me know if there
        are any problems, and also whether you think these should be enabled in the
        default release of Vim-Carbon.

        > Bill

        [snip]
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 2, 2001
          On Sunday, December 2, 2001, at 08:20 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:

          > Bill Tschumy wrote:
          >>
          >> Benji,
          >>
          >> Hey this is really great! A couple of questions though...
          >>
          >> 1. I have been running VIM 6.0 from Terminal. I have gotten used
          >> to my light blue background I set for Terminal windows. Is there a
          >> simple VIM command to set the background?
          >
          > :hi Normal guibg=lightblue
          > :help :hi
          > :help :syn-qstart

          Great. Work perfectly

          >> 2. I have been using a BufExplorer command that works similar to
          >> Explorer for files. The BufExplorer is not being sourced and for
          >> the life of me I can't find a file on my disk that has BufExplorer
          >> in it. I'm really not sure how it was working for me but I would
          >> like it back. Was this command built into 6.0 somehow and you have
          >> removed it? Any thoughts?
          >
          > The BufExplorer.vim file is probably somewhere in a plugin/
          > directory
          > under a directory in your terminal vim's runtimepath. Check
          >
          > :set rtp?

          Ah, this was the hint I needed. I had stuck it in ~/.vim. I
          forgot that Sherlock won't find things in hidden directories.

          > inside the terminal vim. Once you find it, you can :source it
          > from your vimrc
          > file, copy it into a directory searched by the Carbon vim, or make
          > a symlink
          > so that both versions of vim search the same directories.

          I did it with a symlink

          > We have been discussing the issue of where Carbon vim should
          > search for
          > scripts. Once we make up our minds, this should be easier. One
          > thing I could
          > do, but have not yet done, is adjust the 'runtitmepath' option in
          > the system
          > vimrc file that I supplied with the Carbon vim.
          >
          >> 3. I notice this VIM can't automatically open a file that has been
          >> double-clicked. Any thoughts on how hard this would be?
          >
          > Did you tell OS X that some files are supposed to be opened
          > by Vim.app?
          > Choose a file in the Finder, type Cmd-I (or choose File.Get\
          > Information or
          > whatever) and choose the "Open With Application" tab. (I just
          > tested this on
          > the previous vim binary I released, since I only installed the new
          > one at
          > work, so far.)

          Well this morning it is working although last night the same thing
          didn't. Maybe the Finder needed a restart to reread some info.

          >> Thanks for all the hard work.
          >
          > You are welcome, and thank you for the feedback. Please also
          > test the
          > File and Edit menus, and associated keyboard shortcuts. (First
          > comment out
          > the "finish" line in the gvimrc file that I supplied.) Let me
          > know if there
          > are any problems, and also whether you think these should be
          > enabled in the
          > default release of Vim-Carbon.

          It is nice to see OSX getting real Vim support. The Vim on Mac OS9
          never was quite there.

          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 2, 2001
            Bill Tschumy wrote:

            [snip]
            > It is nice to see OSX getting real Vim support. The Vim on Mac OS9
            > never was quite there.

            and Douglas Stebila wrote:
            [snip]

            > Thanks for porting Vim!

            Let's give credit where credit is due. Dany St-Amant made the ports to
            Mac OS (Classic) and OS X. Axel Kielhorn also made contributions to the
            Classic port, as well as maintaining binaries. Aside from commenting in or
            out a line here or there, I have only built and distributed binaries for OS X;
            certainly, I have done less with the code than Axel Kielhorn did.

            If it seems that vim for OS X is working better than vim for Mac Classic,
            it is probably because the port to (Unix-based) OS X is a lot easier. Dany,
            please correct me if I am wrong!

            --Benji Fisher
          • Bill Tschumy
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 2, 2001
              On Sunday, December 2, 2001, at 08:20 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:

              >> Thanks for all the hard work.
              >
              > You are welcome, and thank you for the feedback. Please also
              > test the
              > File and Edit menus, and associated keyboard shortcuts. (First
              > comment out
              > the "finish" line in the gvimrc file that I supplied.) Let me
              > know if there
              > are any problems, and also whether you think these should be
              > enabled in the
              > default release of Vim-Carbon.

              I don't see any "finish" line in the gvimrc and there are no
              shortcuts in the menus as supplied. Any ideas?

              --
              Bill Tschumy
              Otherwise -- Austin, TX
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 2, 2001
                On Sunday, December 2, 2001, at 06:20 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:

                > > Bill Tschumy wrote:
                > > 3. I notice this VIM can't automatically open a file that has been
                > > double-clicked. Any thoughts on how hard this would be?
                >
                > Did you tell OS X that some files are supposed to be opened by
                > Vim.app? Choose a file in the Finder, type Cmd-I (or choose File.Get\
                > Information or whatever) and choose the "Open With Application" tab.

                It would also be nice to be able to drag and drop text files (or any kind
                of file, for that matter) onto Vim. Has this issue been addressed yet?
                If not, the way to do it is to add certain keys to Vim.app's Info.plist
                file
                that indicate to the Finder which file types Vim is able to edit.
                Attached is a copy of Info.plist with the necessary changes to allow Vim
                to open any kind of file. To make it work, though, you need to supply a
                document icon (not being an artist, I lamely typed 'cp
                /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/Resources/txt.icns
                /Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/' and solved that problem)
                and then restart the Finder (or log out and back in again or make a copy
                of Vim.app).

                Now if only I could figure out how to get 'gvim -o' behavior when
                dragging
                and dropping multiple files (':sball', perhaps?), and how to avoid that
                "Hit Enter..." prompt at the beginning.

                ---------- cut here ----------

                <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
                <!DOCTYPE plist SYSTEM
                "file://localhost/System/Library/DTDs/PropertyList.dtd">
                <plist version="0.9">
                <dict>
                <key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>
                <string>English</string>
                <key>CFBundleDocumentTypes</key>
                <array>
                <dict>
                <key>CFBundleTypeExtensions</key>
                <array>
                <string>*</string>
                </array>
                <key>CFBundleTypeIconFile</key>
                <string>txt.icns</string>
                <key>CFBundleTypeName</key>
                <string>NSStringPboardType</string>
                <key>CFBundleTypeOSTypes</key>
                <array>
                <string>****</string>
                </array>
                <key>CFBundleTypeRole</key>
                <string>Editor</string>
                </dict>
                </array>
                <key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
                <string>Vim</string>
                <key>CFBundleIconFile</key>
                <string>gui_mac.icns</string>
                <key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>
                <string>6.0</string>
                <key>CFBundleName</key>
                <string>Vim</string>
                <key>CFBundlePackageType</key>
                <string>APPL</string>
                <key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
                <string>Vim 6.0</string>
                <key>CFBundleSignature</key>
                <string>????</string>
                <key>CFBundleVersion</key>
                <string>0.1</string>
                <key>CSResourcesFileMapped</key>
                <true/>
                </dict>
                </plist>
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 3, 2001
                  On Sunday, December 2, 2001, at 07:48 PM, raindog@... wrote:

                  > On Sunday, December 2, 2001, at 06:20 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:
                  >
                  > > > Bill Tschumy wrote:
                  > > > 3. I notice this VIM can't automatically open a file that has been
                  > > > double-clicked. Any thoughts on how hard this would be?
                  > >
                  > > Did you tell OS X that some files are supposed to be opened by
                  > > Vim.app? Choose a file in the Finder, type Cmd-I (or choose File.Get\
                  > > Information or whatever) and choose the "Open With Application" tab.
                  >
                  > It would also be nice to be able to drag and drop text files (or any
                  > kind
                  > of file, for that matter) onto Vim. Has this issue been addressed yet?
                  > If not, the way to do it is to add certain keys to Vim.app's Info.plist
                  > file
                  > that indicate to the Finder which file types Vim is able to edit.
                  > Attached is a copy of Info.plist with the necessary changes to allow Vim
                  > to open any kind of file. To make it work, though, you need to supply a
                  > document icon (not being an artist, I lamely typed 'cp
                  > /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/Resources/txt.icns
                  > /Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/' and solved that problem)
                  > and then restart the Finder (or log out and back in again or make a copy
                  > of Vim.app).
                  >
                  > Now if only I could figure out how to get 'gvim -o' behavior when
                  > dragging
                  > and dropping multiple files (':sball', perhaps?), and how to avoid that
                  > "Hit Enter..." prompt at the beginning.

                  [snip Info.plist]

                  I tried copying the TextEdit icon, as you did, and using your
                  version of Vim.app/Contents/Resources/txt.icns and I logged out and in
                  again, and it did not work. Did you leave out a step, or am I making a
                  mistake?

                  Somehow, the binary I uploaded on Friday is not the version I get
                  from http://homepage.mac.com/fisherbb/index.html . I do get the version
                  I want when I download from my i-disk. (This is getting to be very
                  annoying!) If I can get the drag-and-drop to work, I will (try to!)
                  post a new version. In the mean time, I would like testers for this
                  gvimrc file. (Comment out the "finish" line before testing.)

                  --Benji Fisher

                  --------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------

                  " System gvimrc file for Mac OS X
                  " Author: Benji Fisher <benji@...>
                  " Last modified: 30 November 2001

                  " If you want to get more Mac-like behavior, comment the following line
                  so
                  " that the rest of the file will not be ignored.

                  finish

                  " Define mac-standard menu items and keyboard shortcuts.

                  aunmenu &File.&New
                  amenu 10.325 &File.&New\ (Cmd-n) <D-n>
                  nmap <D-n> :confirm enew<CR>
                  vmap <D-n> <Esc><D-n>gv
                  imap <D-n> <C-O><D-n>
                  cmap <D-n> <C-C><D-n>
                  omap <D-n> <Esc><D-n>
                  aunmenu &File.&Open\.\.\.
                  amenu 10.310 &File.&Open\.\.\.\ (Cmd-o) <D-o>
                  nmap <D-o> :browse confirm e<CR>
                  vmap <D-o> <Esc><D-o>gv
                  imap <D-o> <C-O><D-o>
                  cmap <D-o> <C-C><D-o>
                  omap <D-o> <Esc><D-o>
                  aunmenu &File.&Close
                  amenu 10.330 &File.&Close\ (Cmd-w) <D-w>
                  nmap <silent> <D-w> :if winheight(2) < 0 <Bar>
                  \ confirm enew <Bar>
                  \ else <Bar>
                  \ confirm close <Bar>
                  \ endif<CR>
                  vmap <D-w> <Esc><D-w>gv
                  imap <D-w> <C-O><D-w>
                  cmap <D-w> <C-C><D-w>
                  omap <D-w> <Esc><D-w>
                  aunmenu &File.&Save
                  amenu 10.340 &File.&Save\ (Cmd-s) <D-s>
                  nmap <silent> <D-s> :if expand("%") == ""<Bar>browse confirm w<Bar>
                  \ else<Bar>confirm w<Bar>endif<CR>
                  vmap <D-s> <Esc><D-s>gv
                  imap <D-s> <C-O><D-s>
                  cmap <D-s> <C-C><D-s>
                  omap <D-s> <Esc><D-s>
                  aunmenu &File.Save\ &As\.\.\.
                  amenu 10.350 &File.Save\ &As\.\.\.\ (Cmd-S) <D-S-s>
                  nmap <D-S-s> :browse confirm saveas<CR>
                  vmap <D-S-s> <Esc><D-s>gv
                  imap <D-S-s> <C-O><D-s>
                  cmap <D-S-s> <C-C><D-s>
                  omap <D-S-s> <Esc><D-s>
                  " map <D-p> ??
                  " <D-q> is handled by the OS.
                  "amenu File.Quit\ (Cmd-q) <D-q>
                  "nmap <D-q> :confirm qall<CR>
                  "vmap <D-q> <Esc><D-q>gv
                  "imap <D-q> <C-O><D-q>
                  "cmap <D-q> <C-C><D-q>
                  "omap <D-q> <Esc><D-q>
                  " From the Edit menu of SimpleText:
                  aunmenu &Edit.&Undo
                  amenu 20.310 &Edit.&Undo\ (Cmd-z) <D-z>
                  nmap <D-z> u
                  vmap <D-z> <Esc><D-z>gv
                  imap <D-z> <C-O><D-z>
                  cmap <D-z> <C-C><D-z>
                  omap <D-z> <Esc><D-z>
                  vunmenu &Edit.Cu&t
                  vmenu 20.340 &Edit.Cu&t\ (Cmd-x) <D-x>
                  vmap <D-x> "+x
                  vunmenu &Edit.&Copy
                  vmenu 20.350 &Edit.&Copy\ (Cmd-c) <D-c>
                  vmap <D-c> "+y
                  cunmenu &Edit.&Copy
                  cmenu 20.350 &Edit.&Copy\ (Cmd-v) <D-c>
                  cmap <D-c> <C-Y>
                  aunmenu &Edit.&Paste
                  nmenu 20.360 &Edit.&Paste\ (Cmd-v) <D-v>
                  nmap <D-v> "+gP
                  cmenu &Edit.&Paste\ (Cmd-v) <D-v>
                  cmap <D-v> <C-R>+
                  vmenu &Edit.&Paste\ (Cmd-v) <D-v>
                  imenu &Edit.&Paste\ (Cmd-v) <D-v>
                  if has("virtualedit")
                  vmap <D-v> "-c<Esc><SID>Paste
                  imap <D-v> <Esc><SID>Pastegi
                  else
                  vmap <D-v> "-c<Esc>gix<Esc><SID>Paste"_x
                  imap <D-v> x<Esc><SID>Paste"_s
                  endif
                  aunmenu &Edit.&Select\ all
                  amenu 20.400 &Edit.Select\ &All\ (Cmd-a) <D-a>
                  nmap <silent> <D-a> :if &slm != ""<Bar>exe ":norm gggH<C-O>G"<Bar>
                  \ else<Bar>exe ":norm ggVG"<Bar>endif<CR>
                  vmap <D-a> <Esc><D-a>
                  imap <D-a> <Esc><D-a>
                  cmap <D-a> <C-C><D-a>
                  omap <D-a> <Esc><D-a>
                  aunmenu &Edit.&Find
                  amenu 20.410 &Edit.&Find\ (Cmd-f) <D-f>
                  nmap <D-f> /
                  vmap <D-f> <Esc><D-f>
                  imap <D-f> <Esc><D-f>
                  cmap <D-f> <C-C><D-f>
                  omap <D-f> <Esc><D-f>
                  amenu 20.420 &Edit.&Next\ (Cmd-g) <D-g>
                  nmap <D-g> n
                  vmap <D-g> <Esc><D-g>
                  imap <D-g> <C-O><D-g>
                  cmap <D-g> <C-C><D-g>
                  omap <D-g> <Esc><D-g>
                  vmenu <silent> 20.420 &Edit.Find\ &Selection "9y/<C-R>9<CR>
                  \:if strlen(@9) > 1 <Bar>
                  \ exe 'norm!v/' . @9 . '/e' . "<Bslash><lt>CR>"<Bar>
                  \ else <Bar> exe "norm!v" <Bar> endif<CR>
                • Bill Tschumy
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 3, 2001
                    Benji,

                    Thanks for the updated gvimrc. Menu commands seem to be working
                    well now.

                    I'm always a bit unsure whether to use these platform specific (or
                    gui specific) features. I worry that I will lose my muscle memory
                    for using standard Vim. I'll see how it goes.
                    --
                    Bill Tschumy
                    Otherwise -- Austin, TX
                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 3, 2001
                      On Monday, December 3, 2001, at 11:42 AM, Bill Tschumy wrote:

                      > Benji,
                      >
                      > Thanks for the updated gvimrc. Menu commands seem to be working well
                      > now.
                      >
                      > I'm always a bit unsure whether to use these platform specific (or gui
                      > specific) features. I worry that I will lose my muscle memory for
                      > using standard Vim. I'll see how it goes.

                      That is up to you. My goal is to give you the option of doing it
                      however you want. I guess there is one thing you lose by using my
                      modified menus: the menus no longer remind you of the standard vim
                      keyboard alternatives, they only remind you of the Mac keyboard
                      alternatives.

                      --Benji Fisher
                    • raindog@mediaone.net
                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 3, 2001
                        > On Monday, December 3, 2001, at 07:50 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:
                        >
                        > > On Sunday, December 2, 2001, at 07:48 PM, raindog@... wrote:
                        > >
                        > > It would also be nice to be able to drag and drop text files (or any
                        kind
                        > > of file, for that matter) onto Vim. Has this issue been addressed
                        yet?
                        > > If not, the way to do it is to add certain keys to Vim.app's
                        Info.plist file
                        > > that indicate to the Finder which file types Vim is able to edit.
                        >
                        > I tried copying the TextEdit icon, as you did, and using your version
                        of
                        > Vim.app/Contents/Resources/txt.icns and I logged out and in again, and
                        > it did not work. Did you leave out a step, or am I making a mistake?

                        I did the following just now:

                        1. downloaded the disk image from homepage.mac.com/fisherbb, mounted it,
                        and copied the vim/ folder to a writeable volume

                        2. issued these commands from a terminal (NewInfo.plist is the file
                        that was attached to the previous message):

                        cp NewInfo.plist vim/Vim.app/Contents/Info.plist

                        cp /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/Resources/txt.icns
                        vim/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/

                        3. dragged Vim.app out of the vim/ folder, then option-dragged it back in
                        to make a new copy.

                        I was then able to drag and drop files onto the new copy of Vim.

                        Give this procedure a shot--perhaps (3) is a necessary step, and logging
                        out
                        and back in again isn't sufficient after all (apologies for the
                        confusion!).

                        RD
                        Message 11 of 18 , Dec 4, 2001
                          On Tuesday, December 4, 2001, at 01:11 AM, raindog@... wrote:

                          > I did the following just now:
                          >
                          > 1. downloaded the disk image from homepage.mac.com/fisherbb, mounted it,
                          > and copied the vim/ folder to a writeable volume
                          >
                          > 2. issued these commands from a terminal (NewInfo.plist is the file
                          > that was attached to the previous message):
                          >
                          > cp NewInfo.plist vim/Vim.app/Contents/Info.plist
                          >
                          > cp /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/Resources/txt.icns
                          > vim/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/
                          >
                          > 3. dragged Vim.app out of the vim/ folder, then option-dragged it back
                          > in
                          > to make a new copy.
                          >
                          > I was then able to drag and drop files onto the new copy of Vim.
                          >
                          > Give this procedure a shot--perhaps (3) is a necessary step, and
                          > logging out
                          > and back in again isn't sufficient after all (apologies for the
                          > confusion!).
                          >
                          > RD

                          Yes, Step 3 seems to be necessary. It works like a charm, now! I
                          feel much better about distributing a Carbon binary that allows
                          drag-and-drop; thanks!

                          How is txt.icns used? I am afraid there might be copyright issues
                          if I distribute Vim.app with the version we borrowed from TextEdit.app;
                          maybe Douglas Stebila or someone else would be willing to design a new
                          icon for us?

                          As long as I am editing property lists by hand, maybe I can do
                          more. I would like to move the runtime files (vim60/) inside Vim.app,
                          and put the executable (Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim) inside the runtime
                          folder. That way, I could distribute Vim.app by itself, rather than
                          inside a vim/ folder, and whatever folder contained vim60/ would become
                          $VIM by default. I tried this a while ago, editing the
                          CFBundleExecutable entry in Info.plist, but could not get it to work.
                          Does anyone know enough about how this works to help out? (Maybe I did
                          not think to try Step 3...)

                          --Benji Fisher
                        • Douglas Stebila
                          Message 12 of 18 , Dec 4, 2001
                            > How is txt.icns used? I am afraid there might be copyright issues
                            > if I distribute Vim.app with the version we borrowed from TextEdit.app;
                            > maybe Douglas Stebila or someone else would be willing to design a new
                            > icon for us?

                            As per Benji's request above, I have created some document icons for
                            Vim. I have created a plain document icon and one for txt files; icons
                            for other file types can easily be created. I have also updated the
                            application icon (brightened it up, improved the smaller-sized icons).

                            You can download tarballs of the icons (GIMP source, PNGs, and .icns
                            files) from my webpage at
                            http://mac.douglas.stebila.ca/code/vim/

                            If you want other icons or have any suggestions, please let me know.

                            ---

                            Douglas Stebila
                            Email: stebilad@...
                          • Dany St-Amant
                            Message 13 of 18 , Dec 4, 2001
                              Le Mardi 4 décembre 2001, à 08:01 , Douglas Stebila a écrit :

                              >> How is txt.icns used? I am afraid there might be copyright
                              >> issues if I distribute Vim.app with the version we borrowed from
                              >> TextEdit.app; maybe Douglas Stebila or someone else would be willing
                              >> to design a new icon for us?
                              >
                              > As per Benji's request above, I have created some document icons for
                              > Vim. I have created a plain document icon and one for txt files; icons
                              > for other file types can easily be created. I have also updated the
                              > application icon (brightened it up, improved the smaller-sized icons).
                              >
                              > You can download tarballs of the icons (GIMP source, PNGs, and .icns
                              > files) from my webpage at
                              > http://mac.douglas.stebila.ca/code/vim/
                              >
                              > If you want other icons or have any suggestions, please let me know.

                              Nice work, but I think that the V is a bit thin (and thus look weak), in
                              all the Vim icon supplied in the distribution the V is bolder, meaner
                              (showing the power of Vim ;).
                              I also think the 'im' should be also present.

                              I tried to modified your icon (at the same time as I tried Iconographer),
                              You can check the result at:
                              http://www3.sympatico.ca/dany.stamant/vim/appDany.icns.gz

                              I didn't try to use anti-aliasing or any fancy stuff as I don't have the
                              tool and
                              the skill to fully finetuned the icon. For the 'im' I used Apple
                              Chancery, 56 point,
                              italic, bloc, shadow.

                              The document icon fit nicely with the MacOS X various document icons.
                              An alternative for the document icon, would be a big V in the middle,
                              with a green tag in the upper left corner mentioning "TXT" à la Acrobat,
                              or
                              Stuffit

                              Dany,
                            • raindog@mediaone.net
                              Message 14 of 18 , Dec 4, 2001
                                On Tuesday, December 4, 2001, at 07:30 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:

                                > How is txt.icns used?

                                In theory, this is the icon with which documents that were created with
                                Vim
                                are displayed (also documents created with other apps that you
                                subsequently
                                set to "Open with application" Vim from the Finder). In practice, as you
                                probably noticed, this doesn't happen, possibly in part because
                                CFBundleSignature, the "creator code" that's supposed to uniquely
                                identify
                                Vim to the Finder, isn't set. Unfortunately, just setting the creator
                                code in Info.plist and in PkgInfo doesn't solve the problem (not even
                                after a reapplication of the venerable Step 3). You might have to set
                                these from Project Builder, under "Application Settings".

                                Incidentally, here's a tech note that describes some of the settings in
                                Info.plist:
                                <http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/ReleaseNotes/InfoPlist.html>,
                                and here's more than you probably want to know about the subject:
                                <http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/Essentials/SystemOverview/SoftwareConfig/
                                Information_perty_Lists.html>.

                                > I would like to move the runtime files (vim60/) inside Vim.app, and
                                > put the executable (Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim) inside the runtime
                                > folder. That way, I could distribute Vim.app by itself, rather than
                                > inside a vim/ folder, and whatever folder contained vim60/ would
                                > become $VIM by default.

                                I'm not sure it's wise to tinker with the directory structure of an
                                application. The right place for vim60/ would be inside
                                Vim.app/Contents/Resources/ (or possibly SharedSupport/), but, as you
                                probably realize, that entails modifying the code to point $VIMRUNTIME to
                                that directory. I tried this once before with some success; I might be
                                able to supply a patch, if anyone's interested.

                                RD
                              • Douglas Stebila
                                Message 15 of 18 , Dec 5, 2001
                                  On Tuesday, December 4, 2001, at 11:03 PM, Dany St-Amant wrote:
                                  > Nice work, but I think that the V is a bit thin (and thus look weak),
                                  > in all the Vim icon supplied in the distribution the V is bolder,
                                  > meaner (showing the power of Vim ;).

                                  You're right - I knew that it wasn't quite right, but couldn't put my
                                  finger on it.

                                  > I also think the 'im' should be also present.

                                  I tried that out, but problems arise with image resizing. When you put
                                  the icon in the dock, it could be sized anywhere from 16x16 to 128x128,
                                  and only the thumbnail part of the icon is actually used in the
                                  scaling. At 16x16 or even medium sizes like 48x48, the "im" appears
                                  like a blob.

                                  A lot of other icons that have text in them (Mozilla's M, Internet
                                  Explorer's e, Address Books' @, XDarwin's X) all have only one letter
                                  and they look okay.

                                  > The document icon fit nicely with the MacOS X various document icons.
                                  > An alternative for the document icon, would be a big V in the middle,
                                  > with a green tag in the upper left corner mentioning "TXT" à la
                                  > Acrobat, or
                                  > Stuffit

                                  There are now two versions of the document icon: the traditional style
                                  with the file type below the icon, and the Acrobat style, with the
                                  filetype on a tag in the top left. I think the Acrobat style looks much
                                  better, but you can decide for yourself. Note that these icon's aren't
                                  "finished" as I haven't made the smaller versions of them. I will do
                                  that once I get feedback on which is preferred. Also please let me know
                                  what filetypes you want icons for.

                                  All of the icons are available at
                                  http://mac.douglas.stebila.ca/code/vim/

                                  Thoughts?

                                  ---

                                  Douglas Stebila
                                  Email: stebilad@...
                                • Ken Scott
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Dec 5, 2001
                                    On Wed, 5 Dec 2001, Douglas Stebila wrote:

                                    > On Tuesday, December 4, 2001, at 11:03 PM, Dany St-Amant wrote:
                                    > > Nice work, but I think that the V is a bit thin (and thus look weak),
                                    > > in all the Vim icon supplied in the distribution the V is bolder,
                                    > > meaner (showing the power of Vim ;).
                                    >
                                    > You're right - I knew that it wasn't quite right, but couldn't put my
                                    > finger on it.
                                    >
                                    > > I also think the 'im' should be also present.
                                    >
                                    > I tried that out, but problems arise with image resizing. When you put
                                    > the icon in the dock, it could be sized anywhere from 16x16 to 128x128,
                                    > and only the thumbnail part of the icon is actually used in the
                                    > scaling. At 16x16 or even medium sizes like 48x48, the "im" appears
                                    > like a blob.
                                    >
                                    > A lot of other icons that have text in them (Mozilla's M, Internet
                                    > Explorer's e, Address Books' @, XDarwin's X) all have only one letter
                                    > and they look okay.

                                    The updated "V" with the thicker bar looks nice.

                                    > > The document icon fit nicely with the MacOS X various document icons.
                                    > > An alternative for the document icon, would be a big V in the middle,
                                    > > with a green tag in the upper left corner mentioning "TXT" à la
                                    > > Acrobat, or
                                    > > Stuffit
                                    >
                                    > There are now two versions of the document icon: the traditional style
                                    > with the file type below the icon, and the Acrobat style, with the
                                    > filetype on a tag in the top left. I think the Acrobat style looks much
                                    > better, but you can decide for yourself. Note that these icon's aren't
                                    > "finished" as I haven't made the smaller versions of them. I will do
                                    > that once I get feedback on which is preferred. Also please let me know
                                    > what filetypes you want icons for.

                                    I really, really like the icon with the tag at the top. However, the
                                    matching version, without the tag, looks unbalanced (the icon is too low).
                                    Is that particular version supposed to be used, or is it just a template
                                    for further expansion of file types?

                                    As far as filetypes, VIM is guaranteed. I would think that we could
                                    potentially need an icon for every filetype that Vim understands syntax
                                    for. I'm not sure just how much work that is, or if it would be practical
                                    to have Vim registered to be the editor for all those filetypes.

                                    Even if the filetypes aren't registered, it might be nice to have the
                                    icons available to be used on a file-by-file basis.

                                    Thanks for the great work!

                                    Ken

                                    --
                                    ><> Ken Scott kscott@... http://www.pcisys.net/~kscott

                                    This is the day that the Lord has made;
                                    I will rejoice and be glad in it! -- Psalm 118:24
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Dec 5, 2001
                                      On Wednesday, December 5, 2001, at 12:49 PM, Ken Scott wrote:

                                      > [snip]
                                      > The updated "V" with the thicker bar looks nice.
                                      > [snip]
                                      > I really, really like the icon with the tag at the top. However, the
                                      > matching version, without the tag, looks unbalanced (the icon is too
                                      > low).
                                      > Is that particular version supposed to be used, or is it just a template
                                      > for further expansion of file types?
                                      >
                                      > As far as filetypes, VIM is guaranteed. I would think that we could
                                      > potentially need an icon for every filetype that Vim understands syntax
                                      > for. I'm not sure just how much work that is, or if it would be
                                      > practical
                                      > to have Vim registered to be the editor for all those filetypes.
                                      >
                                      > Even if the filetypes aren't registered, it might be nice to have the
                                      > icons available to be used on a file-by-file basis.
                                      >
                                      > Thanks for the great work!

                                      I agree on all points. Now, why doesn't it work for me? I already
                                      edited Vim.app/Contents/Info.plist and I just installed a new
                                      txt.icns . When I

                                      % open txt.icns

                                      the new icon comes up in Preview.app, so it looks as though I did not
                                      make a mistake there. I tried moving and copying Vim.app, and I tried
                                      restarting the Finder. (I did not yet try logging out and in again.) I
                                      made a new file foo.txt with Vim.app, but it still has the old icon.

                                      --Benji Fisher

                                      P.S. I may post a new binary tomorrow, with drag-and-drop enabled.
                                      Dany, is there any chance of addressing the problem with :browse real
                                      soon?