Re: Mac Questions

  • Niklas Lindström
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 11, 2007
      Hi!

      Regarding getting your environment into a gvim session.

      I use the gvim.app which is used to launch multiple Vim.app:s, but
      with a modified script.

      I have simply replaced the content of "gvim.app/Contents/Resources/script" with:

      ------------------------------ 8< ------------------------------
      #!/bin/sh

      PROFILE=~/.profile
      if [ -e $PROFILE ]; then source $PROFILE; fi

      VIM_APP_DIR=`echo $0 | sed 's#^\(.*\)gvim.app/Contents/Resources/script$#\1#'`

      ${VIM_APP_DIR}/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -go "$@" &
      ------------------------------ >8 ------------------------------

      Which gives me the same env-variables I have in my bash-sessions (and
      also enables gvim.app and related to be put anywhere, not just
      "/Applications").

      Best regards,
      Niklas
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 1, 2007
        On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 10:23:25AM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

        > Dave Land wrote:
        >
        > > On Jan 8, 2007, at 3:03 PM, Dave Land wrote:
        > >
        > > > Happily, Apple provided a utility that handles it for you:
        > > >
        > > > defaults read "${HOME}/.MacOSX/environment"
        > >
        > > Actually, making this work in bash (or other shell) requires a little
        > > more than just reading the file... Here's the relevant chunk from
        > > my .bashrc:
        > >
        > > # Get environment variables from ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist
        > > # (This avoids the sin of duplicating data here and in that file)
        > > if [[ `uname` == 'Darwin' ]] ; then
        > > defaults read ~/.MacOSX/environment | grep -v '[{}]' | tr '"' "'" |
        > > awk '{ print "declare -x",$1"="$3 }' | while read -r OneLine; do eval
        > > $OneLine; done;
        > > fi
        > >
        > > To give credit where it's due, this came from a comment on
        > > macosxhints.com.
        > >
        > > The conditional (if [[ `uname` == "Darwin' ]]) is because I use this
        > > same .bashrc across several hosts, including Solaris, Linux, and Mac
        > > OS X.
        >
        > This issue comes up often enough that it deserves a section in the help.
        > Could you perhaps write some text? If you can send me a patch that
        > would be great.

        The docs already explain one way to set $PATH.

        :help mac-faq

        As it says there, the system vimrc files in the versions distributed at
        macvim.org/OSX already use this method. The same method should work for
        other environment variables ... but AFAIK the only one that matters is
        $PATH.

        HTH --Benji Fisher