new Vim binary for Mac OS X

    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 30, 2001
      Hi!

      I just uploaded a new binary (gzipped disk image) of Vim for Mac OS
      X on my i-disk. This is a "huge" version, including the official
      patches 1-93 and the latest Mac patch from Dany St-Amant. In addition
      to Vim.app, the vim/ file includes

      sytem vimrc file: try to get a useful $PATH
      system gvimrc file: if you comment out the "finish" then you will get
      standard Mac keyboard shortcuts for Cut, Copy, Paste, Save, etc.

      My i-disk also contains tex_menu.vim (and instructions in tex_menu.txt)
      for those using TeX and Vim on Mac OS X.

      Let me know if there are any problems. With the latest patches, I
      think that this may be ready for wide distribution. (I noticed a
      terminal-only version of vim 6.0 on Apple's site, under Downloads/Unix
      Tools.)

      --Benji Fisher

      http://homepage.mac.com/fisherbb/index.html

      P.S. If there are any problems, I will wait until next week to fix
      them. Uploading to the i-disk from home is painful!
    • Bill Tschumy
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 1, 2001
        Benji,

        Hey this is really great! A couple of questions though...

        1. I have been running VIM 6.0 from Terminal. I have gotten used
        to my light blue background I set for Terminal windows. Is there a
        simple VIM command to set the background?

        2. I have been using a BufExplorer command that works similar to
        Explorer for files. The BufExplorer is not being sourced and for
        the life of me I can't find a file on my disk that has BufExplorer
        in it. I'm really not sure how it was working for me but I would
        like it back. Was this command built into 6.0 somehow and you have
        removed it? Any thoughts?

        3. I notice this VIM can't automatically open a file that has been
        double-clicked. Any thoughts on how hard this would be?

        Thanks for all the hard work.

        Bill

        --
        Bill Tschumy
        Otherwise -- Austin, TX
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 2, 2001
          Bill Tschumy wrote:

          > Benji,
          >
          > Hey this is really great! A couple of questions though...
          >
          > 1. I have been running VIM 6.0 from Terminal. I have gotten used
          > to my light blue background I set for Terminal windows. Is there a
          > simple VIM command to set the background?

          :hi Normal guibg=lightblue
          :help :hi
          :help :syn-qstart

          > 2. I have been using a BufExplorer command that works similar to
          > Explorer for files. The BufExplorer is not being sourced and for
          > the life of me I can't find a file on my disk that has BufExplorer
          > in it. I'm really not sure how it was working for me but I would
          > like it back. Was this command built into 6.0 somehow and you have
          > removed it? Any thoughts?

          The BufExplorer.vim file is probably somewhere in a plugin/ directory
          under a directory in your terminal vim's runtimepath. Check

          :set rtp?

          inside the terminal vim. Once you find it, you can :source it from your vimrc
          file, copy it into a directory searched by the Carbon vim, or make a symlink
          so that both versions of vim search the same directories.

          We have been discussing the issue of where Carbon vim should search for
          scripts. Once we make up our minds, this should be easier. One thing I could
          do, but have not yet done, is adjust the 'runtitmepath' option in the system
          vimrc file that I supplied with the Carbon vim.

          > 3. I notice this VIM can't automatically open a file that has been
          > double-clicked. Any thoughts on how hard this would be?

          Did you tell OS X that some files are supposed to be opened by Vim.app?
          Choose a file in the Finder, type Cmd-I (or choose File.Get\ Information or
          whatever) and choose the "Open With Application" tab. (I just tested this on
          the previous vim binary I released, since I only installed the new one at
          work, so far.)

          > Thanks for all the hard work.

          You are welcome, and thank you for the feedback. Please also test the
          File and Edit menus, and associated keyboard shortcuts. (First comment out
          the "finish" line in the gvimrc file that I supplied.) Let me know if there
          are any problems, and also whether you think these should be enabled in the
          default release of Vim-Carbon.

          > Bill

          [snip]
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 2, 2001
            On Sunday, December 2, 2001, at 08:20 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:

            > Bill Tschumy wrote:
            >>
            >> Benji,
            >>
            >> Hey this is really great! A couple of questions though...
            >>
            >> 1. I have been running VIM 6.0 from Terminal. I have gotten used
            >> to my light blue background I set for Terminal windows. Is there a
            >> simple VIM command to set the background?
            >
            > :hi Normal guibg=lightblue
            > :help :hi
            > :help :syn-qstart

            Great. Work perfectly

            >> 2. I have been using a BufExplorer command that works similar to
            >> Explorer for files. The BufExplorer is not being sourced and for
            >> the life of me I can't find a file on my disk that has BufExplorer
            >> in it. I'm really not sure how it was working for me but I would
            >> like it back. Was this command built into 6.0 somehow and you have
            >> removed it? Any thoughts?
            >
            > The BufExplorer.vim file is probably somewhere in a plugin/
            > directory
            > under a directory in your terminal vim's runtimepath. Check
            >
            > :set rtp?

            Ah, this was the hint I needed. I had stuck it in ~/.vim. I
            forgot that Sherlock won't find things in hidden directories.

            > inside the terminal vim. Once you find it, you can :source it
            > from your vimrc
            > file, copy it into a directory searched by the Carbon vim, or make
            > a symlink
            > so that both versions of vim search the same directories.

            I did it with a symlink

            > We have been discussing the issue of where Carbon vim should
            > search for
            > scripts. Once we make up our minds, this should be easier. One
            > thing I could
            > do, but have not yet done, is adjust the 'runtitmepath' option in
            > the system
            > vimrc file that I supplied with the Carbon vim.
            >
            >> 3. I notice this VIM can't automatically open a file that has been
            >> double-clicked. Any thoughts on how hard this would be?
            >
            > Did you tell OS X that some files are supposed to be opened
            > by Vim.app?
            > Choose a file in the Finder, type Cmd-I (or choose File.Get\
            > Information or
            > whatever) and choose the "Open With Application" tab. (I just
            > tested this on
            > the previous vim binary I released, since I only installed the new
            > one at
            > work, so far.)

            Well this morning it is working although last night the same thing
            didn't. Maybe the Finder needed a restart to reread some info.

            >> Thanks for all the hard work.
            >
            > You are welcome, and thank you for the feedback. Please also
            > test the
            > File and Edit menus, and associated keyboard shortcuts. (First
            > comment out
            > the "finish" line in the gvimrc file that I supplied.) Let me
            > know if there
            > are any problems, and also whether you think these should be
            > enabled in the
            > default release of Vim-Carbon.

            It is nice to see OSX getting real Vim support. The Vim on Mac OS9
            never was quite there.

            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 2, 2001
              Bill Tschumy wrote:

              [snip]
              > It is nice to see OSX getting real Vim support. The Vim on Mac OS9
              > never was quite there.

              and Douglas Stebila wrote:
              [snip]

              > Thanks for porting Vim!

              Let's give credit where credit is due. Dany St-Amant made the ports to
              Mac OS (Classic) and OS X. Axel Kielhorn also made contributions to the
              Classic port, as well as maintaining binaries. Aside from commenting in or
              out a line here or there, I have only built and distributed binaries for OS X;
              certainly, I have done less with the code than Axel Kielhorn did.

              If it seems that vim for OS X is working better than vim for Mac Classic,
              it is probably because the port to (Unix-based) OS X is a lot easier. Dany,
              please correct me if I am wrong!

              --Benji Fisher
            • Bill Tschumy
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 2, 2001
                On Sunday, December 2, 2001, at 08:20 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:

                >> Thanks for all the hard work.
                >
                > You are welcome, and thank you for the feedback. Please also
                > test the
                > File and Edit menus, and associated keyboard shortcuts. (First
                > comment out
                > the "finish" line in the gvimrc file that I supplied.) Let me
                > know if there
                > are any problems, and also whether you think these should be
                > enabled in the
                > default release of Vim-Carbon.

                I don't see any "finish" line in the gvimrc and there are no
                shortcuts in the menus as supplied. Any ideas?

                --
                Bill Tschumy
                Otherwise -- Austin, TX
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 2, 2001
                  On Sunday, December 2, 2001, at 06:20 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:

                  > > Bill Tschumy wrote:
                  > > 3. I notice this VIM can't automatically open a file that has been
                  > > double-clicked. Any thoughts on how hard this would be?
                  >
                  > Did you tell OS X that some files are supposed to be opened by
                  > Vim.app? Choose a file in the Finder, type Cmd-I (or choose File.Get\
                  > Information or whatever) and choose the "Open With Application" tab.

                  It would also be nice to be able to drag and drop text files (or any kind
                  of file, for that matter) onto Vim. Has this issue been addressed yet?
                  If not, the way to do it is to add certain keys to Vim.app's Info.plist
                  file
                  that indicate to the Finder which file types Vim is able to edit.
                  Attached is a copy of Info.plist with the necessary changes to allow Vim
                  to open any kind of file. To make it work, though, you need to supply a
                  document icon (not being an artist, I lamely typed 'cp
                  /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/Resources/txt.icns
                  /Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/' and solved that problem)
                  and then restart the Finder (or log out and back in again or make a copy
                  of Vim.app).

                  Now if only I could figure out how to get 'gvim -o' behavior when
                  dragging
                  and dropping multiple files (':sball', perhaps?), and how to avoid that
                  "Hit Enter..." prompt at the beginning.

                  ---------- cut here ----------

                  <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
                  <!DOCTYPE plist SYSTEM
                  "file://localhost/System/Library/DTDs/PropertyList.dtd">
                  <plist version="0.9">
                  <dict>
                  <key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>
                  <string>English</string>
                  <key>CFBundleDocumentTypes</key>
                  <array>
                  <dict>
                  <key>CFBundleTypeExtensions</key>
                  <array>
                  <string>*</string>
                  </array>
                  <key>CFBundleTypeIconFile</key>
                  <string>txt.icns</string>
                  <key>CFBundleTypeName</key>
                  <string>NSStringPboardType</string>
                  <key>CFBundleTypeOSTypes</key>
                  <array>
                  <string>****</string>
                  </array>
                  <key>CFBundleTypeRole</key>
                  <string>Editor</string>
                  </dict>
                  </array>
                  <key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
                  <string>Vim</string>
                  <key>CFBundleIconFile</key>
                  <string>gui_mac.icns</string>
                  <key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>
                  <string>6.0</string>
                  <key>CFBundleName</key>
                  <string>Vim</string>
                  <key>CFBundlePackageType</key>
                  <string>APPL</string>
                  <key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
                  <string>Vim 6.0</string>
                  <key>CFBundleSignature</key>
                  <string>????</string>
                  <key>CFBundleVersion</key>
                  <string>0.1</string>
                  <key>CSResourcesFileMapped</key>
                  <true/>
                  </dict>
                  </plist>
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 3, 2001
                    On Sunday, December 2, 2001, at 07:48 PM, raindog@... wrote:

                    > On Sunday, December 2, 2001, at 06:20 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:
                    >
                    > > > Bill Tschumy wrote:
                    > > > 3. I notice this VIM can't automatically open a file that has been
                    > > > double-clicked. Any thoughts on how hard this would be?
                    > >
                    > > Did you tell OS X that some files are supposed to be opened by
                    > > Vim.app? Choose a file in the Finder, type Cmd-I (or choose File.Get\
                    > > Information or whatever) and choose the "Open With Application" tab.
                    >
                    > It would also be nice to be able to drag and drop text files (or any
                    > kind
                    > of file, for that matter) onto Vim. Has this issue been addressed yet?
                    > If not, the way to do it is to add certain keys to Vim.app's Info.plist
                    > file
                    > that indicate to the Finder which file types Vim is able to edit.
                    > Attached is a copy of Info.plist with the necessary changes to allow Vim
                    > to open any kind of file. To make it work, though, you need to supply a
                    > document icon (not being an artist, I lamely typed 'cp
                    > /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/Resources/txt.icns
                    > /Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/' and solved that problem)
                    > and then restart the Finder (or log out and back in again or make a copy
                    > of Vim.app).
                    >
                    > Now if only I could figure out how to get 'gvim -o' behavior when
                    > dragging
                    > and dropping multiple files (':sball', perhaps?), and how to avoid that
                    > "Hit Enter..." prompt at the beginning.

                    [snip Info.plist]

                    I tried copying the TextEdit icon, as you did, and using your
                    version of Vim.app/Contents/Resources/txt.icns and I logged out and in
                    again, and it did not work. Did you leave out a step, or am I making a
                    mistake?

                    Somehow, the binary I uploaded on Friday is not the version I get
                    from http://homepage.mac.com/fisherbb/index.html . I do get the version
                    I want when I download from my i-disk. (This is getting to be very
                    annoying!) If I can get the drag-and-drop to work, I will (try to!)
                    post a new version. In the mean time, I would like testers for this
                    gvimrc file. (Comment out the "finish" line before testing.)

                    --Benji Fisher

                    --------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------

                    " System gvimrc file for Mac OS X
                    " Author: Benji Fisher <benji@...>
                    " Last modified: 30 November 2001

                    " If you want to get more Mac-like behavior, comment the following line
                    so
                    " that the rest of the file will not be ignored.

                    finish

                    " Define mac-standard menu items and keyboard shortcuts.

                    aunmenu &File.&New
                    amenu 10.325 &File.&New\ (Cmd-n) <D-n>
                    nmap <D-n> :confirm enew<CR>
                    vmap <D-n> <Esc><D-n>gv
                    imap <D-n> <C-O><D-n>
                    cmap <D-n> <C-C><D-n>
                    omap <D-n> <Esc><D-n>
                    aunmenu &File.&Open\.\.\.
                    amenu 10.310 &File.&Open\.\.\.\ (Cmd-o) <D-o>
                    nmap <D-o> :browse confirm e<CR>
                    vmap <D-o> <Esc><D-o>gv
                    imap <D-o> <C-O><D-o>
                    cmap <D-o> <C-C><D-o>
                    omap <D-o> <Esc><D-o>
                    aunmenu &File.&Close
                    amenu 10.330 &File.&Close\ (Cmd-w) <D-w>
                    nmap <silent> <D-w> :if winheight(2) < 0 <Bar>
                    \ confirm enew <Bar>
                    \ else <Bar>
                    \ confirm close <Bar>
                    \ endif<CR>
                    vmap <D-w> <Esc><D-w>gv
                    imap <D-w> <C-O><D-w>
                    cmap <D-w> <C-C><D-w>
                    omap <D-w> <Esc><D-w>
                    aunmenu &File.&Save
                    amenu 10.340 &File.&Save\ (Cmd-s) <D-s>
                    nmap <silent> <D-s> :if expand("%") == ""<Bar>browse confirm w<Bar>
                    \ else<Bar>confirm w<Bar>endif<CR>
                    vmap <D-s> <Esc><D-s>gv
                    imap <D-s> <C-O><D-s>
                    cmap <D-s> <C-C><D-s>
                    omap <D-s> <Esc><D-s>
                    aunmenu &File.Save\ &As\.\.\.
                    amenu 10.350 &File.Save\ &As\.\.\.\ (Cmd-S) <D-S-s>
                    nmap <D-S-s> :browse confirm saveas<CR>
                    vmap <D-S-s> <Esc><D-s>gv
                    imap <D-S-s> <C-O><D-s>
                    cmap <D-S-s> <C-C><D-s>
                    omap <D-S-s> <Esc><D-s>
                    " map <D-p> ??
                    " <D-q> is handled by the OS.
                    "amenu File.Quit\ (Cmd-q) <D-q>
                    "nmap <D-q> :confirm qall<CR>
                    "vmap <D-q> <Esc><D-q>gv
                    "imap <D-q> <C-O><D-q>
                    "cmap <D-q> <C-C><D-q>
                    "omap <D-q> <Esc><D-q>
                    " From the Edit menu of SimpleText:
                    aunmenu &Edit.&Undo
                    amenu 20.310 &Edit.&Undo\ (Cmd-z) <D-z>
                    nmap <D-z> u
                    vmap <D-z> <Esc><D-z>gv
                    imap <D-z> <C-O><D-z>
                    cmap <D-z> <C-C><D-z>
                    omap <D-z> <Esc><D-z>
                    vunmenu &Edit.Cu&t
                    vmenu 20.340 &Edit.Cu&t\ (Cmd-x) <D-x>
                    vmap <D-x> "+x
                    vunmenu &Edit.&Copy
                    vmenu 20.350 &Edit.&Copy\ (Cmd-c) <D-c>
                    vmap <D-c> "+y
                    cunmenu &Edit.&Copy
                    cmenu 20.350 &Edit.&Copy\ (Cmd-v) <D-c>
                    cmap <D-c> <C-Y>
                    aunmenu &Edit.&Paste
                    nmenu 20.360 &Edit.&Paste\ (Cmd-v) <D-v>
                    nmap <D-v> "+gP
                    cmenu &Edit.&Paste\ (Cmd-v) <D-v>
                    cmap <D-v> <C-R>+
                    vmenu &Edit.&Paste\ (Cmd-v) <D-v>
                    imenu &Edit.&Paste\ (Cmd-v) <D-v>
                    if has("virtualedit")
                    vmap <D-v> "-c<Esc><SID>Paste
                    imap <D-v> <Esc><SID>Pastegi
                    else
                    vmap <D-v> "-c<Esc>gix<Esc><SID>Paste"_x
                    imap <D-v> x<Esc><SID>Paste"_s
                    endif
                    aunmenu &Edit.&Select\ all
                    amenu 20.400 &Edit.Select\ &All\ (Cmd-a) <D-a>
                    nmap <silent> <D-a> :if &slm != ""<Bar>exe ":norm gggH<C-O>G"<Bar>
                    \ else<Bar>exe ":norm ggVG"<Bar>endif<CR>
                    vmap <D-a> <Esc><D-a>
                    imap <D-a> <Esc><D-a>
                    cmap <D-a> <C-C><D-a>
                    omap <D-a> <Esc><D-a>
                    aunmenu &Edit.&Find
                    amenu 20.410 &Edit.&Find\ (Cmd-f) <D-f>
                    nmap <D-f> /
                    vmap <D-f> <Esc><D-f>
                    imap <D-f> <Esc><D-f>
                    cmap <D-f> <C-C><D-f>
                    omap <D-f> <Esc><D-f>
                    amenu 20.420 &Edit.&Next\ (Cmd-g) <D-g>
                    nmap <D-g> n
                    vmap <D-g> <Esc><D-g>
                    imap <D-g> <C-O><D-g>
                    cmap <D-g> <C-C><D-g>
                    omap <D-g> <Esc><D-g>
                    vmenu <silent> 20.420 &Edit.Find\ &Selection "9y/<C-R>9<CR>
                    \:if strlen(@9) > 1 <Bar>
                    \ exe 'norm!v/' . @9 . '/e' . "<Bslash><lt>CR>"<Bar>
                    \ else <Bar> exe "norm!v" <Bar> endif<CR>
                  • Bill Tschumy
                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 3, 2001
                      Benji,

                      Thanks for the updated gvimrc. Menu commands seem to be working
                      well now.

                      I'm always a bit unsure whether to use these platform specific (or
                      gui specific) features. I worry that I will lose my muscle memory
                      for using standard Vim. I'll see how it goes.
                      --
                      Bill Tschumy
                      Otherwise -- Austin, TX
                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 3, 2001
                        On Monday, December 3, 2001, at 11:42 AM, Bill Tschumy wrote:

                        > Benji,
                        >
                        > Thanks for the updated gvimrc. Menu commands seem to be working well
                        > now.
                        >
                        > I'm always a bit unsure whether to use these platform specific (or gui
                        > specific) features. I worry that I will lose my muscle memory for
                        > using standard Vim. I'll see how it goes.

                        That is up to you. My goal is to give you the option of doing it
                        however you want. I guess there is one thing you lose by using my
                        modified menus: the menus no longer remind you of the standard vim
                        keyboard alternatives, they only remind you of the Mac keyboard
                        alternatives.

                        --Benji Fisher
                      • raindog@mediaone.net
                        Message 11 of 18 , Dec 3, 2001
                          > On Monday, December 3, 2001, at 07:50 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:
                          >
                          > > On Sunday, December 2, 2001, at 07:48 PM, raindog@... wrote:
                          > >
                          > > It would also be nice to be able to drag and drop text files (or any
                          kind
                          > > of file, for that matter) onto Vim. Has this issue been addressed
                          yet?
                          > > If not, the way to do it is to add certain keys to Vim.app's
                          Info.plist file
                          > > that indicate to the Finder which file types Vim is able to edit.
                          >
                          > I tried copying the TextEdit icon, as you did, and using your version
                          of
                          > Vim.app/Contents/Resources/txt.icns and I logged out and in again, and
                          > it did not work. Did you leave out a step, or am I making a mistake?

                          I did the following just now:

                          1. downloaded the disk image from homepage.mac.com/fisherbb, mounted it,
                          and copied the vim/ folder to a writeable volume

                          2. issued these commands from a terminal (NewInfo.plist is the file
                          that was attached to the previous message):

                          cp NewInfo.plist vim/Vim.app/Contents/Info.plist

                          cp /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/Resources/txt.icns
                          vim/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/

                          3. dragged Vim.app out of the vim/ folder, then option-dragged it back in
                          to make a new copy.

                          I was then able to drag and drop files onto the new copy of Vim.

                          Give this procedure a shot--perhaps (3) is a necessary step, and logging
                          out
                          and back in again isn't sufficient after all (apologies for the
                          confusion!).

                          RD
                          Message 12 of 18 , Dec 4, 2001
                            On Tuesday, December 4, 2001, at 01:11 AM, raindog@... wrote:

                            > I did the following just now:
                            >
                            > 1. downloaded the disk image from homepage.mac.com/fisherbb, mounted it,
                            > and copied the vim/ folder to a writeable volume
                            >
                            > 2. issued these commands from a terminal (NewInfo.plist is the file
                            > that was attached to the previous message):
                            >
                            > cp NewInfo.plist vim/Vim.app/Contents/Info.plist
                            >
                            > cp /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/Resources/txt.icns
                            > vim/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/
                            >
                            > 3. dragged Vim.app out of the vim/ folder, then option-dragged it back
                            > in
                            > to make a new copy.
                            >
                            > I was then able to drag and drop files onto the new copy of Vim.
                            >
                            > Give this procedure a shot--perhaps (3) is a necessary step, and
                            > logging out
                            > and back in again isn't sufficient after all (apologies for the
                            > confusion!).
                            >
                            > RD

                            Yes, Step 3 seems to be necessary. It works like a charm, now! I
                            feel much better about distributing a Carbon binary that allows
                            drag-and-drop; thanks!

                            How is txt.icns used? I am afraid there might be copyright issues
                            if I distribute Vim.app with the version we borrowed from TextEdit.app;
                            maybe Douglas Stebila or someone else would be willing to design a new
                            icon for us?

                            As long as I am editing property lists by hand, maybe I can do
                            more. I would like to move the runtime files (vim60/) inside Vim.app,
                            and put the executable (Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim) inside the runtime
                            folder. That way, I could distribute Vim.app by itself, rather than
                            inside a vim/ folder, and whatever folder contained vim60/ would become
                            $VIM by default. I tried this a while ago, editing the
                            CFBundleExecutable entry in Info.plist, but could not get it to work.
                            Does anyone know enough about how this works to help out? (Maybe I did
                            not think to try Step 3...)

                            --Benji Fisher
                          • Douglas Stebila
                            Message 13 of 18 , Dec 4, 2001
                              > How is txt.icns used? I am afraid there might be copyright issues
                              > if I distribute Vim.app with the version we borrowed from TextEdit.app;
                              > maybe Douglas Stebila or someone else would be willing to design a new
                              > icon for us?

                              As per Benji's request above, I have created some document icons for
                              Vim. I have created a plain document icon and one for txt files; icons
                              for other file types can easily be created. I have also updated the
                              application icon (brightened it up, improved the smaller-sized icons).

                              You can download tarballs of the icons (GIMP source, PNGs, and .icns
                              files) from my webpage at
                              http://mac.douglas.stebila.ca/code/vim/

                              If you want other icons or have any suggestions, please let me know.

                              ---

                              Douglas Stebila
                              Email: stebilad@...
                            • Dany St-Amant
                              Message 14 of 18 , Dec 4, 2001
                                Le Mardi 4 décembre 2001, à 08:01 , Douglas Stebila a écrit :

                                >> How is txt.icns used? I am afraid there might be copyright
                                >> issues if I distribute Vim.app with the version we borrowed from
                                >> TextEdit.app; maybe Douglas Stebila or someone else would be willing
                                >> to design a new icon for us?
                                >
                                > As per Benji's request above, I have created some document icons for
                                > Vim. I have created a plain document icon and one for txt files; icons
                                > for other file types can easily be created. I have also updated the
                                > application icon (brightened it up, improved the smaller-sized icons).
                                >
                                > You can download tarballs of the icons (GIMP source, PNGs, and .icns
                                > files) from my webpage at
                                > http://mac.douglas.stebila.ca/code/vim/
                                >
                                > If you want other icons or have any suggestions, please let me know.

                                Nice work, but I think that the V is a bit thin (and thus look weak), in
                                all the Vim icon supplied in the distribution the V is bolder, meaner
                                (showing the power of Vim ;).
                                I also think the 'im' should be also present.

                                I tried to modified your icon (at the same time as I tried Iconographer),
                                You can check the result at:
                                http://www3.sympatico.ca/dany.stamant/vim/appDany.icns.gz

                                I didn't try to use anti-aliasing or any fancy stuff as I don't have the
                                tool and
                                the skill to fully finetuned the icon. For the 'im' I used Apple
                                Chancery, 56 point,
                                italic, bloc, shadow.

                                The document icon fit nicely with the MacOS X various document icons.
                                An alternative for the document icon, would be a big V in the middle,
                                with a green tag in the upper left corner mentioning "TXT" à la Acrobat,
                                or
                                Stuffit

                                Dany,
                              • raindog@mediaone.net
                                Message 15 of 18 , Dec 4, 2001
                                  On Tuesday, December 4, 2001, at 07:30 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:

                                  > How is txt.icns used?

                                  In theory, this is the icon with which documents that were created with
                                  Vim
                                  are displayed (also documents created with other apps that you
                                  subsequently
                                  set to "Open with application" Vim from the Finder). In practice, as you
                                  probably noticed, this doesn't happen, possibly in part because
                                  CFBundleSignature, the "creator code" that's supposed to uniquely
                                  identify
                                  Vim to the Finder, isn't set. Unfortunately, just setting the creator
                                  code in Info.plist and in PkgInfo doesn't solve the problem (not even
                                  after a reapplication of the venerable Step 3). You might have to set
                                  these from Project Builder, under "Application Settings".

                                  Incidentally, here's a tech note that describes some of the settings in
                                  Info.plist:
                                  <http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/ReleaseNotes/InfoPlist.html>,
                                  and here's more than you probably want to know about the subject:
                                  <http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/Essentials/SystemOverview/SoftwareConfig/
                                  Information_perty_Lists.html>.

                                  > I would like to move the runtime files (vim60/) inside Vim.app, and
                                  > put the executable (Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim) inside the runtime
                                  > folder. That way, I could distribute Vim.app by itself, rather than
                                  > inside a vim/ folder, and whatever folder contained vim60/ would
                                  > become $VIM by default.

                                  I'm not sure it's wise to tinker with the directory structure of an
                                  application. The right place for vim60/ would be inside
                                  Vim.app/Contents/Resources/ (or possibly SharedSupport/), but, as you
                                  probably realize, that entails modifying the code to point $VIMRUNTIME to
                                  that directory. I tried this once before with some success; I might be
                                  able to supply a patch, if anyone's interested.

                                  RD
                                • Douglas Stebila
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Dec 5, 2001
                                    On Tuesday, December 4, 2001, at 11:03 PM, Dany St-Amant wrote:
                                    > Nice work, but I think that the V is a bit thin (and thus look weak),
                                    > in all the Vim icon supplied in the distribution the V is bolder,
                                    > meaner (showing the power of Vim ;).

                                    You're right - I knew that it wasn't quite right, but couldn't put my
                                    finger on it.

                                    > I also think the 'im' should be also present.

                                    I tried that out, but problems arise with image resizing. When you put
                                    the icon in the dock, it could be sized anywhere from 16x16 to 128x128,
                                    and only the thumbnail part of the icon is actually used in the
                                    scaling. At 16x16 or even medium sizes like 48x48, the "im" appears
                                    like a blob.

                                    A lot of other icons that have text in them (Mozilla's M, Internet
                                    Explorer's e, Address Books' @, XDarwin's X) all have only one letter
                                    and they look okay.

                                    > The document icon fit nicely with the MacOS X various document icons.
                                    > An alternative for the document icon, would be a big V in the middle,
                                    > with a green tag in the upper left corner mentioning "TXT" à la
                                    > Acrobat, or
                                    > Stuffit

                                    There are now two versions of the document icon: the traditional style
                                    with the file type below the icon, and the Acrobat style, with the
                                    filetype on a tag in the top left. I think the Acrobat style looks much
                                    better, but you can decide for yourself. Note that these icon's aren't
                                    "finished" as I haven't made the smaller versions of them. I will do
                                    that once I get feedback on which is preferred. Also please let me know
                                    what filetypes you want icons for.

                                    All of the icons are available at
                                    http://mac.douglas.stebila.ca/code/vim/

                                    Thoughts?

                                    ---

                                    Douglas Stebila
                                    Email: stebilad@...
                                  • Ken Scott
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Dec 5, 2001
                                      On Wed, 5 Dec 2001, Douglas Stebila wrote:

                                      > On Tuesday, December 4, 2001, at 11:03 PM, Dany St-Amant wrote:
                                      > > Nice work, but I think that the V is a bit thin (and thus look weak),
                                      > > in all the Vim icon supplied in the distribution the V is bolder,
                                      > > meaner (showing the power of Vim ;).
                                      >
                                      > You're right - I knew that it wasn't quite right, but couldn't put my
                                      > finger on it.
                                      >
                                      > > I also think the 'im' should be also present.
                                      >
                                      > I tried that out, but problems arise with image resizing. When you put
                                      > the icon in the dock, it could be sized anywhere from 16x16 to 128x128,
                                      > and only the thumbnail part of the icon is actually used in the
                                      > scaling. At 16x16 or even medium sizes like 48x48, the "im" appears
                                      > like a blob.
                                      >
                                      > A lot of other icons that have text in them (Mozilla's M, Internet
                                      > Explorer's e, Address Books' @, XDarwin's X) all have only one letter
                                      > and they look okay.

                                      The updated "V" with the thicker bar looks nice.

                                      > > The document icon fit nicely with the MacOS X various document icons.
                                      > > An alternative for the document icon, would be a big V in the middle,
                                      > > with a green tag in the upper left corner mentioning "TXT" à la
                                      > > Acrobat, or
                                      > > Stuffit
                                      >
                                      > There are now two versions of the document icon: the traditional style
                                      > with the file type below the icon, and the Acrobat style, with the
                                      > filetype on a tag in the top left. I think the Acrobat style looks much
                                      > better, but you can decide for yourself. Note that these icon's aren't
                                      > "finished" as I haven't made the smaller versions of them. I will do
                                      > that once I get feedback on which is preferred. Also please let me know
                                      > what filetypes you want icons for.

                                      I really, really like the icon with the tag at the top. However, the
                                      matching version, without the tag, looks unbalanced (the icon is too low).
                                      Is that particular version supposed to be used, or is it just a template
                                      for further expansion of file types?

                                      As far as filetypes, VIM is guaranteed. I would think that we could
                                      potentially need an icon for every filetype that Vim understands syntax
                                      for. I'm not sure just how much work that is, or if it would be practical
                                      to have Vim registered to be the editor for all those filetypes.

                                      Even if the filetypes aren't registered, it might be nice to have the
                                      icons available to be used on a file-by-file basis.

                                      Thanks for the great work!

                                      Ken

                                      --
                                      ><> Ken Scott kscott@... http://www.pcisys.net/~kscott

                                      This is the day that the Lord has made;
                                      I will rejoice and be glad in it! -- Psalm 118:24
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Dec 5, 2001
                                        On Wednesday, December 5, 2001, at 12:49 PM, Ken Scott wrote:

                                        > [snip]
                                        > The updated "V" with the thicker bar looks nice.
                                        > [snip]
                                        > I really, really like the icon with the tag at the top. However, the
                                        > matching version, without the tag, looks unbalanced (the icon is too
                                        > low).
                                        > Is that particular version supposed to be used, or is it just a template
                                        > for further expansion of file types?
                                        >
                                        > As far as filetypes, VIM is guaranteed. I would think that we could
                                        > potentially need an icon for every filetype that Vim understands syntax
                                        > for. I'm not sure just how much work that is, or if it would be
                                        > practical
                                        > to have Vim registered to be the editor for all those filetypes.
                                        >
                                        > Even if the filetypes aren't registered, it might be nice to have the
                                        > icons available to be used on a file-by-file basis.
                                        >
                                        > Thanks for the great work!

                                        I agree on all points. Now, why doesn't it work for me? I already
                                        edited Vim.app/Contents/Info.plist and I just installed a new
                                        txt.icns . When I

                                        % open txt.icns

                                        the new icon comes up in Preview.app, so it looks as though I did not
                                        make a mistake there. I tried moving and copying Vim.app, and I tried
                                        restarting the Finder. (I did not yet try logging out and in again.) I
                                        made a new file foo.txt with Vim.app, but it still has the old icon.

                                        --Benji Fisher

                                        P.S. I may post a new binary tomorrow, with drag-and-drop enabled.
                                        Dany, is there any chance of addressing the problem with :browse real
                                        soon?