Re: Cocoa gvim?

  • Timothy Knox
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 28, 2006
      Somewhere on Shadow Earth, at Thu, Dec 28, 2006 at 04:54:03PM -0800, Marvin Humphrey wrote:
      <snip>
      > Well, then maybe Cocoa isn't the best route after all. The idea is
      > to purge all QuickDraw libraries, breaking the app, then rebuild it
      > bit by bit using the latest, greatest API from Apple. Buzz has it
      > that "new apps should be in Cocoa", and that because Cocoa is higher
      > level than Carbon, Cocoa code tends to be less buggy and require less
      > maintenance. But we're not contemplating a new app, just glomming a
      > new gui onto the front of an existing app. There may be some pieces
      > of Vim which are impossible to implement using Cocoa.

      Hard to say. The buzz is that "all new apps should be Cocoa", but one, this
      isn't a new app; and two, Cocoa is all Objective-C based, so you would
      complicate the startup/shutdown processing, because you need to be sure all your
      Objective-C objects are properly constructed/destroyed. It will also complicate
      maintenance, as now maintainers must know both C and Objective-C.

      My thought would be to look at using modern Carbon, particularly, as you noted,
      ATSUI, which is the modern text-rendering engine. You might find this a helpful
      place to start:

      http://developer.apple.com/referencelibrary/TextFonts/idxCarbon-date.html

      Also:

      I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
      -- Bjarne Stroustrup, creator of the C++ programming language