Re: Ugly/slow startup

  • James Hague
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 20, 2006
      > How long does it actually take to start? Have you got a long .vimrc
      > file?

      ~3 seconds on a recent MacBook (2GHz). On my Windows PC, it's ~0.5
      seconds. So it's not slow slow, but not snappy either. It's the same
      158 line .vimrc file on both machines.

      > Another thing to check is to make sure you are using Universal binary
      > of Vim 7, starting PPC native binaries with Rosetta is much slower
      > than running native binaries.

      I'm pretty sure I stripped the PPC code after I downloaded it, but
      I'll double check.
    • Jussi Hagman
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 20, 2006
        On 20.12.2006, at 16:10, James Hague wrote:

        >> How long does it actually take to start? Have you got a long .vimrc
        >> file?
        >
        > ~3 seconds on a recent MacBook (2GHz). On my Windows PC, it's ~0.5
        > seconds. So it's not slow slow, but not snappy either. It's the same
        > 158 line .vimrc file on both machines.

        I actually redid my test and a warm start (vim already in disk cache)
        it took just 1.6s-2s (with/without 100 line .vimrc), I'm not sure why
        the difference to yesterday, maybe I've changed energy settings or
        have less other programs running.

        MacBook being slower than my G4 is surprising. Even given that
        your .vimrc is longer than mine I was expecting the start time to be
        much faster on Intel. I'm probably going to look at it as soon as I
        get my hands on an Intel Mac, unfortunately that will take some time :(

        In the mean time you could try to check if an empty .vimrc file makes
        any significant difference. If it does there's some OS X specific
        speed problems with the startup and we could look into that. If not
        it's some bigger thing :(

        Vim uses some older APIs that could (in theory) make even startup
        slower on Intel machines but that's just another guess.

        > I'm pretty sure I stripped the PPC code after I downloaded it, but
        > I'll double check.

        Having PPC code there should not do any harm as long as the OS does
        not start it as PPC application. But if it is even removed then my
        guess about Rosetta was not correct.

      • James Hague
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 21, 2006
          > MacBook being slower than my G4 is surprising. Even given that
          > your .vimrc is longer than mine I was expecting the start time to be
          > much faster on Intel. I'm probably going to look at it as soon as I
          > get my hands on an Intel Mac, unfortunately that will take some time :(

          I played with this a bit last night. The ~3 second start is only the
          when vim hasn't been run recently (isn't cached, etc). After that
          it's real quick: easily less than 0.5 seconds. I rarely notice this,
          because I tend to start up vim once and just keep using it. But even
          the 3 second initial start pales in comparison with the usefulness of
          having vim on the Mac :)

          James