Re: Edit in Vim plugin

  • Rainer Schmid
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 20, 2006
      Hi,

      > one of the reasons why I was considering to switch to TextMate, was
      > because of the "Edit in TextMate"-button the TM-users have. They can
      > edit the text of any cocoa-text-widget in their favourite editor,
      > just with a press of the button. Ofcourse, I've used vim heavily for
      > a couple of years, and TM wasn't really a substitute, so I switched
      > back to vim.
      >
      > Is there anyone with enough experience to build something like this?
      > I think we need someone with heavy cocoa-experience? I'd love to see
      > this feature, and I'm willing to help, but I have no experience with
      > either cocoa-hacking or vim-hacking.

      If you google for this TextMate feature, you can actually find the link

      http://anon:anon@.../svn/Bundles/trunk/Tools/Edit%20in%20TextMate/

      which is actually the source code for it. I am not sure about the
      license of the sources (it doesn't say anything), so I don't know if
      one is allowed to simply take it and add vim support for it. But one
      can take it at least as an inspiration on how to do it in principal.

      Rainer
    • Chris Eidhof
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 23, 2006
        Wow, cool! I looked into the code for a bit, but I don't really
        understand what's happening. But hopefully I'm able to spend a sunday-
        afternoon on deciphering the code and build something alike for vim.
        If anyone wants to help, please let me know!

        Thanks,
        -chris
        On 20 Dec, 2006, at 10:02 , Rainer Schmid wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        >> one of the reasons why I was considering to switch to TextMate, was
        >> because of the "Edit in TextMate"-button the TM-users have. They can
        >> edit the text of any cocoa-text-widget in their favourite editor,
        >> just with a press of the button. Ofcourse, I've used vim heavily for
        >> a couple of years, and TM wasn't really a substitute, so I switched
        >> back to vim.
        >>
        >> Is there anyone with enough experience to build something like this?
        >> I think we need someone with heavy cocoa-experience? I'd love to see
        >> this feature, and I'm willing to help, but I have no experience with
        >> either cocoa-hacking or vim-hacking.
        >
        > If you google for this TextMate feature, you can actually find the
        > link
        >
        > http://anon:anon@.../svn/Bundles/trunk/Tools/Edit%20in%
        > 20TextMate/
        >
        > which is actually the source code for it. I am not sure about the
        > license of the sources (it doesn't say anything), so I don't know if
        > one is allowed to simply take it and add vim support for it. But one
        > can take it at least as an inspiration on how to do it in principal.
        >
        > Rainer
      • Jarimatti Valkonen
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 23, 2006
          Chris Eidhof kirjoitti 23.12.2006 kello 21.42:

          > Wow, cool! I looked into the code for a bit, but I don't really
          > understand what's happening. But hopefully I'm able to spend a
          > sunday-afternoon on deciphering the code and build something alike
          > for vim. If anyone wants to help, please let me know!

          See also Apple's documentation about the services menu (does Vim use
          Carbon bindings?):
          http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Carbon/Conceptual/appservices/

          Here's the corresponding Cocoa documentation:
          http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/SysServices/
          index.html

          HTH, and a Merry Christmas for everyone!

          -Jarimatti

          --
          Jarimatti Valkonen
          javalkon@...